Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I showed photos of the side steps (those done by The Worm) to an acquaintance who has a body shop and he asked why we did not just sandblast off the finish and polish them instead of powdercoating them?

Has this been attempted by anyone?

Thanks
Ken K

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
One word...

OXYGEN.

Aluminum does oxidize. It will not stay "shiny brite" ; it will get dull & grey like an old screen door.

You could polish it every day.

You could clear-coat it, but the clear coat will wear away much faster & more 'splochily' than powdercoat.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Wheels are clearcoated.

I dunno about the strip+polish deal...renov8r's explanation makes sense to me. I had mine coated b/c Rail did...it looked great and was a perfect match w/the wheels -- my goal. No scratches or nicks since install -- super hard finish.

In addition to renov8's comments, I'd also wonder about whether the underlying aluminum on the steps is even the same color (and consistent color throughout) as the wheels? And besides, wouldn't a total strip/sand/polish/clear be @ least the same amount of labor and materials as a strip/powdercoat? Not to mention you've got the brackets to deal with, too.

:confused:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I'm taking mine in to be Powder Coated today

The photos of Rail's and TheWorms's look great. There are a couple of places here in Houston that quoted me reasonable prices.

Taking them over during lunch today:D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
They look great.

My MDX is now wearing BSM and silver powdercoated SideSteps.
Thanks rail and TheWorm for setting the example.

I really prefer the look and feel of the OEM steps. My initial hesitation was they only came in black and powdercoating was expaensive. Howver I finally started checking around and found a very good price here in Houston.:cool:

I must confess the silver (actually mine are chrome with a clear coat) steps look very nice. Most importantly the wife is pleased:cool: :D :cool:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
$131

I had them done at Allied Powder Coating in Houston, Texas. I worked with Paula Alexander. They coated them in what is called Chrome w/ a clearcoat finish. The price included the two steps and the 6 main mounting brackets.

www.alliedpowder.com 713-741-9779

1 - 8 of 8 Posts