Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall that when I rented a Hyundai SanteFe right before I purchased my 2017 MDX SH-AWD base, it had a cool feature that allowed us to hook up our phone's GPS and use the infotainment system.

Does the MDX offer this? My model might not since it's the base model but do the higher end trims offer this?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Like Desi said, Acuras don't have any of the Android Auto and CarPlay features that the newer Hondas and Hyundais do. When asked, Honda said they do not plan to implement it retroactively. They also said it came to the Hondas first because those customers value technology more because they're younger.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My friend who works at Acura corporate in Torrance claims they don't necessarily want to put certain technologies in their upper line cars until the technology is well hashed out and the major bugs are worked out. Honda corporation as a whole is a little more conservative in their offering.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My friend who works at Acura corporate in Torrance claims they don't necessarily want to put certain technologies in their upper line cars until the technology is well hashed out and the major bugs are worked out.
You can tell your friend they failed in that endeavor. The Nav they put in the 3rd gen had plenty of bugs in it and is a fairly poor implementation. I haven't read a single post here from someone raving positively about the Nav - even me, a person who's quite happy with my 2014 MDX but the Nav implementation certainly could have and should have been improved and Acura, by policy, made a decision to 'not' apply improvements to the 2014 that they made to the 2015 via a simple and inexpensive to apply firmware update. They didn't win any fans by this type of treatment of their customers.

Hint - if they decide to wait for a very mature technology, it'll be 'old technology' that'll be woefully behind the times. The only way to design and implement it right is to design it to accept easily applied updates and provide those updates at no additional cost over the very high premium they already charge for the Nav. This is how smart phones can manage to stay reasonably at the latest technology. Carplay/Auto are attempts at that type of technology.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My friend who works at Acura corporate in Torrance claims they don't necessarily want to put certain technologies in their upper line cars until the technology is well hashed out and the major bugs are worked out. Honda corporation as a whole is a little more conservative in their offering.
This is a typical management response. I would take it with grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Tell your friend at the Torrance office to go next door to the Toyota office and ask them about how they deploy OTA updates on their Lexus vehicles to resolve bugs. Lol jk... but seriously, might be a good model to follow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts