Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Can I use 87 octane if it's FREE????

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  skirmich 
#1 ·
My wife has the "perk" of free gas at her work. Unfortunately, it is only 87 octane.
Is there a safe octane booster that she can add at fill up that would allow us to take advantage of this new opportunity? Our 2015 MDX has always had premium, but I hate to pass up FREE!
She usually burns about one tank per week. It would save us at least $50 weekly.
Your opinions are appreciated.:grin:

#2 ·
You can use it, The ECU will compensate and pull timing but it will be AWESOME if instead of running pure 87 you can at least take the chance to do Half and Half (With Premium) so it rest at a middle ground (+/- 89 Octane).

#4 ·
Nah the ECUs are pretty smart these days, If you have always ran 93 and suddenly drop to 87 the ECU will know right away due to the performance loss and possible knocking..

If you are already getting free 87 you might as well mix it with premium so you have a middle ground and still save some money..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.