Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband says that I can't just go to a race track during the day (obviously when they are not racing cars) and drive my X on a track. Has anyone done that and can you just go there and race around? :20: :20: :jump3:

·
Registered
17 Posts
As much fun as that would be... I don't think you will find any tracks willing to let you on them, especially in your X. Most tracks require that the drivers have been through some sort of driving or race school. The drivers vehicle must have also gone through a technical/safety inspection. For example you are usually required to change you engine coolant form the normal mix of anti-freeze and water to a track approved coolant like Redline Water Wetter. Antifreeze is extremely slippery and spilling some on the track is a big no-no
Aside from all this, you might find that your X is not the cutting edge race car we sometimes think they are. The race track environment is abusive and will show all you vehicles handling flaws.:p

·
Registered
220 Posts
Racetrack? Just take it out on a stretch of interstate with a buddy and a cell phone. Have your buddy clear the way and get on the gas BABY. That should be racetrack enough. Not only that, manually shift that X for the full effect. I am thinking once you got it up about 110-120 you will not feel the need to do it again.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You can drag race it

You can go to most any drag track and bracket race it. There was an article in one of the car mag's last month about them bracket racing a H2. Sounded fun. They even had a sidebar on a professional bracket racer who would travel the country renting Ford Taurus’s to race. He was very successful.:)

Niles

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: You can drag race it

nwaring said:
You can go to most any drag track and bracket race it. There was an article in on of the car mag's last month about them bracket racing a H2. Sounded fun. They even had a sidebar on a professional bracket racer who would travel the country renting Ford Taurus’s to race. He was very successful.:)

Niles
Two reasons to NEVER, EVER buy a "prevoius daily rental":

1. I might have rented it.

2. This guy might have rented it.

:p

Ard

·
Registered
39 Posts

Been there, done that, in a car more suited to the track. That picture is from a lapping day at Portland International Raceway. I'm in the Steel Mist Gray MR2 Turbo, having just passed that BMW Z3 on the back straight :) There was no requirement to change coolant. The Alfa Romeo Club had rented the track for the day, and invited other sports car clubs to join them, in order to defray the cost of renting the track. It was $80 per car. There were 3 different run groups, beginner, intermediate, and advanced with six 15 minute sessions on the track per run group. That is one way to get on the track with a personal vehicle, although as others have suggested, the MDX is hardly suited for that venue.

The other alternative, and the one that I'd recommend, would be a driver training course that is taught on a racetrack like PIR. The one I attended several years ago was hosted by Team Continental and was an excellent course. You can pretty much take the course in any vehicle you choose, and you will learn the limits of your vehicle in a relatively safe, controlled environment.

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never thought I'd have so many chuckles reading this thread.
1. Does any one know a drag race track in New England
2. What does bracket mean?
3. My MDX seems happy (on the hwy) at about 80-85, the tack reads just below 30,000 rpm. Oddly enough, at that speed it gets the best gas mileage. Does anybody think that if it was pushed to cruise at 100 - 110 mph that the gas mileage would be even better?

thanks for the fun comments :20:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Caroline,

1)My cousin used to race out at Hunt's Point in NYC. That's about the most help I can give you from personal experience, www.nhra.com is the official governing body when it comes to drag racing, you can probably find a list of drag strips linked off their site.

2)Bracket racing is where you go to the drag strip, and everyone gets 3-5 runs down the 1/4 mile to figure out what ET (elapsed time) their car can run. You then choose an average of the runs as your "Dial-In". This is the time you are going to try to run for the rest of the evening, during the actual races. This time is recorded on your windshield with white liquid shoe polish. (don't worry, it comes off with Windex)

When the races begin, you will be in your car, in line, until it is your turn. It will be you, and another car, lining up to race. There is a "Christmas Tree" that tells you when to go. You get 3 yellow lights, and then the green. What they do, is stagger when you get the lights, based on your dial-in. So if you have a 15 second dial in, and the guy next to you has a 14 second dial-in, you get a 1 second head-start. Whoever has the fastest reaction time, and runs closest to their dial in, wins. If you run faster than your dial in, that is known as "breaking out" and you lose, automatically. That is to prevent people from "sandbagging" and writing a slower dial-in to get a bigger head start. that is pretty much it. Here is
my most recent timeslip. I am the car on the right. As you can see, the car on the left ran a faster trap speed, and a shorter ET, but I actually won the race because my reaction time, and launch was better. This was open drag racing, where skill plays a part, but so does the car. In bracket racing it is all skill, since the dial in pretty much eliminates the car as a factor. Any AWD, automatic transmission vehicle would tend to do well at bracket racing, since there is little possibility of wheel slip, and the vehicle would have very consistent launch times and ET's.

3) I think you mean THREE thousand RPM, not THIRTY thousand :p

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, there is the New England Dragway in Epping in NH. They have a few nights where you can run what you brung.
http://www.newenglanddragway.com/trackinfo/streetsheet.shtml

I hope your tach reads 3,000 RPM and not 30,000 RPM:eek:. Or maybe with the gas mileage anomaly you are creating your own laws of physics? :2:

There is also Lime Rock Park in Lakeville CT, which is a race track. They allow club event racing and the like, but I have yet to run across an MDX racing club. http://www.limerock.com :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
kblake said:

Been there, done that, in a car more suited to the track. That picture is from a lapping day at Portland International Raceway. I'm in the Steel Mist Gray MR2 Turbo, having just passed that BMW Z3 on the back straight :) There was no requirement to change coolant. The Alfa Romeo Club had rented the track for the day, and invited other sports car clubs to join them, in order to defray the cost of renting the track. It was $80 per car. There were 3 different run groups, beginner, intermediate, and advanced with six 15 minute sessions on the track per run group. That is one way to get on the track with a personal vehicle, although as others have suggested, the MDX is hardly suited for that venue.

The other alternative, and the one that I'd recommend, would be a driver training course that is taught on a racetrack like PIR. The one I attended several years ago was hosted by Team Continental and was an excellent course. You can pretty much take the course in any vehicle you choose, and you will learn the limits of your vehicle in a relatively safe, controlled environment.

Hope that helps,

LOL!!! Take a look at that

<== :) Same corner :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Or better yet:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sure you can!!...I did..

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Y2ks2k,

LOL!!! Take a look at that
But I bet my exit speed from the corner was higher :)

I was seeing 135mph on the front straight, before the braking zone for the chicane.

Best regards,

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, I mean 3k not 30K, see what happens when you break from doing taxes???:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
159 Posts
kblake said:
Hi Y2ks2k,

But I bet my exit speed from the corner was higher :)

I was seeing 135mph on the front straight, before the braking zone for the chicane.

Best regards,
First time out I was hitting about 135 on the front and was braking at the 100 mark for the chicane. But I was doing that with my top down :) . But doing that was toasting my brakes and rotors. Track days after that I would just hit 120 mph on the strait which was plenty fast enough and braking starting at the 400 mark. I didnt have brake or rotor problems after that. At the BMW track days in intermediate class.. I didnt really need to bang 135 to dominate the class :) I think I lapped every other car out there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Caroline, I hate to burst your bubble but there is no car made with a shape like a SUV that will get better gas mileage at 80-85 MPH then 65. I just finished a trip that allowed me to run in Nevada on some of their long and very flat roads on the desert where I could test "indicated' gas mileage at various speeds. Using the mileage indicator on the MDX as the basis, I set up the cruise control for 65 mph and ran for about 5 miles. The mileage indicator varied very little and indicated between 25 and 26 MPG for those miles. Then I bumped the speed to 75 MPH and let it stabilize and ran for several miles. At that speed, I was reading right at 20-21 MPG. I didn't try 85 for any length as it was very obvious what that was going to read...somewhere around 15 to 17 MPG! The laws of physics rule and a car with the high drag coefficient of an SUV is simply going to drink the gas as the speed increases.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts