Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 black MDX Touring w/o NAV. Now that I've read how great the Acura NAV is, I'm planning to get one. Is this possible and is it still $2K + labor?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was told that this could be done for about $2800 in the SF Bay Area. I am sure that it could be done for less in S. Cal.

Good Luck. Do let us know if you find anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Due to differences in the wiring harnesses between nav and non nav vehicles this will prove to quite difficult .I would suggest you look at the Alpine system available in the aftermarket .Acura uses nav equipment manufactured by Alpine so they are comparable plus you can add a cool DVD to it for the passengers .Jens

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hello,

Hey GCK,
Could you give more info on the place in the Bay area that said they would do it for 2800.? Is that for a stock Acura Nav or aftermarket? Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
The sales guy at Los Gatos Acura mentioned about this place on Bascom in Campbell. It's an aftermarket Apline unit. I do not remember the name of the place though.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Can't be done

The Acura Nav unit CANNOT be added to a non-Nav model (for all practical purposes).

There was a lot of posts on this a year ago. The parts alone, (including significant wiring harness changes) is over 5k. Add labor (2-3 days) and the fact that Acura has no instructions for a dealer to do this..... so, technically perhaps it can, but really who would?

plenty of aftermarket units. Any dealer is bound to be more than willing to suggest someone else to mess up your electrical system...

Still, kill two birds. Get the Alpine in dash DVD/NAv/stero system, upgrade the amps and speakers, plus watch movies in the dash. Still won't be factory but you get rid of the Bose sound..

Ard

·
Registered
103 Posts
You may do better on a trade (either to a new or used one with Navi). The Alpine systems also do not have the joystick. You could also consider the Garmin systems - which I am about to do for my other cars that are non-navi.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ok, please don't jump all over me, I just wanted to resurrect this relatively old thread to see if there have been any significant changes to the status quo regarding adding nav to a non-nav MDX. Anyone have any information?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I don't think anything has changed, except the Garmin Street Pilot has found more customers. It's very good, especially for the price.
Even something relatively simply like adding a one-touch window up (as well as down) can not be done with any ease due to wiring and module differences in models. (The Honda Pilot has the Up feature, the MDX does not).

·
Registered
671 Posts
Where's a good place to check out the Garmin Street Pilot? I have a Garmin hand-held unit (eTrex Vista) that's quite nice for a portable unit, and I can plug it into my power outlet in the car, but the small screen makes it hard to view while driving!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Macky said:
I have a 2001 black MDX Touring w/o NAV. Now that I've read how great the Acura NAV is, I'm planning to get one. Is this possible and is it still $2K + labor?
Look into aftermarket Navagation units.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
Where's a good place to check out the Garmin Street Pilot? I have a Garmin hand-held unit (eTrex Vista) that's quite nice for a portable unit, and I can plug it into my power outlet in the car, but the small screen makes it hard to view while driving!
Well, of course we are not supposed to be viewing our navi screens as we drive, but we do glance to get an idea if we are still on track, if we don't hear a voice prompt in a while.
You may want to find other Floridians on on this forum who know where to go see them demonstrated.
There are many posts on the Garmin including some pix of installations. Some are excellent evaluations on it's use, in case you can't find a place to demo.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I checked out the Street Pilot on Garmin's website....what do people recommend for products that are incorporated with the stereo headunit with pop-up screens? As I see it, other than the voice feature (and color) the street pilot doesn't do much more for me than my eTrex.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Macky
I think s2ktaxi gave you the best advice. No matter what you do,you will be spending a lot more than you planned on spending . I would check with several dealers and I'll bet you you would not be far for upgrading to a new 2002 or at least a nice demo.
All the other options, I think you stand a good chance during installation of thinking why in the h--- did I get involved in all this.
Just one guy's opinion Big Al

1 - 14 of 14 Posts