Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006, Acura MDX Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

New to the MDX and I see a ton of questions on programming new FOBs, but I just want to know if I can change mine from unlocking all door with one button, to just the driver’s door with one push and all with 2 pushes like my other FOBs.
Sorry if this was posted earlier but I don’t see this question, just issues with actuators and batteries.
TIA

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
I am pretty sure on my 1st Gen (2002) MDX, push once = driver's door only. The remaining doors and the tailgate unlock happen when I push the button a second time.

·
Registered
2006, Acura MDX Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty sure on my 1st Gen (2002) MDX, push once = driver's door only. The remaining doors and the tailgate unlock happen when I push the button a second time.
I’m trying to get my FOB to do that too. I know it can be changed, but I can’t find out how

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aside from the FOB, what about the problem trannies, not chixwithdix, transmissions on a 2003 MDX. Is it true not all 2003 MDX get a tranny problem, it depends on which factory they were built; is that correct?

·
Registered
2006, Acura MDX Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aside from the FOB, what about the problem trannies, not chixwithdix, transmissions on a 2003 MDX. Is it true not all 2003 MDX get a tranny problem, it depends on which factory they were built; is that correct?
Your response has NOTHING to do with my question. Thank you for wasting our time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey everyone!

New to the MDX and I see a ton of questions on programming new FOBs, but I just want to know if I can change mine from unlocking all door with one button, to just the driver’s door with one push and all with 2 pushes like my other FOBs.
Sorry if this was posted earlier but I don’t see this question, just issues with actuators and batteries.
TIA
Page 363 in the owners manual shows what you’re describing….I think. It gives a key option for drivers door or all doors.

EDIT - I just realized this wasn’t for the ‘22. My apologies. I do think the previous generation was a similar process however. I had a 2017 MDX and I seem to remember it being to be able to be set up this way.

·
Registered
2006, Acura MDX Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Page 363 in the owners manual shows what you’re describing….I think. It gives a key option for drivers door or all doors.

EDIT - I just realized this wasn’t for the ‘22. My apologies. I do think the previous generation was a similar process however. I had a 2017 MDX and I seem to remember it being to be able to be set up this way.

View attachment 117932
Thanks for this! Is this something in the onboard computer setup (I can’t find it within there at all) or is there a series of buttons to push/hold on the FOB that changes these settings (this is how I’ve don’t it on many other cars)? I just don’t see how to change it within that manual or my years manual.
TIA

·
Registered
2006, Acura MDX Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is in the first Gen forum, which is only 2001-2006. What year is yours?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mine IS a first gen (2006) but people gave me advise for later ones, went off topic or didn’t answer it at all. So the thread is rather useless at this point from my original question.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sorry Tapatalk doesn't show your signature with your year of car you registered with next to your posts.

I don't believe this is an option with the 1st gens. On my 2006 owners manual, the relevant sections are pages 83-85. It says one press drivers, two presses all doors, and doesn't say there is an option to change it.

Though Honda has a pattern of very poor and incomplete documentation. They may not have included instructions and left it for owners to ask dealers. I've never found an internet posting that said it was changeable. It is an interesting omission for a "luxury" car.

·
Registered
2006, Acura MDX Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry Tapatalk doesn't show your signature with your year of car you registered with next to your posts.

I don't believe this is an option with the 1st gens. On my 2006 owners manual, the relevant sections are pages 83-85. It says one press drivers, two presses all doors, and doesn't say there is an option to change it.

Though Honda has a pattern of very poor and incomplete documentation. They may not have included instructions and left it for owners to ask dealers. I've never found an internet posting that said it was changeable. It is an interesting omission for a "luxury" car.
But, again, mine is the opposite of that. Mine is one press and all the doors unlock. It’s the complete opposite of what everyone says can’t be done lol.
I want the one press being ONLY the drivers door as that is safer when solo in unknown locations.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You could try asking a service tech at a dealer if there is an undocumented way to change it. I think the answer is no.

You probably have a component or wiring problem.

I know if it was me I would replace the drivers side door lock motor. It is an annoying but not difficult job. You can get a new one on Amazon for under $20.

They frequently fail, and the drivers door motor has some interesting validation circuits in them that can cause all kinds of chaos. Like when the drivers side fails, sometimes it will blip all doors open on the 2nd press, and immediately relock all doors.

I know that isn't your problem but it is too uncertain all the failure modes it has and they have such an unreliable history, and so cheap to replace yourself that I think it is worth throwing a part at this one if you care about it.

·
Registered
2006, Acura MDX Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could try asking a service tech at a dealer if there is an undocumented way to change it. I think the answer is no.

You probably have a component or wiring problem.

I know if it was me I would replace the drivers side door lock motor. It is an annoying but not difficult job. You can get a new one on Amazon for under $20.

They frequently fail, and the drivers door motor has some interesting validation circuits in them that can cause all kinds of chaos. Like when the drivers side fails, sometimes it will blip all doors open on the 2nd press, and immediately relock all doors.

I know that isn't your problem but it is too uncertain all the failure modes it has and they have such an unreliable history, and so cheap to replace yourself that I think it is worth throwing a part at this one if you care about it.

Yeah, it’s usually a VERY easy step to reprogram. Like hold lock and unlock on the fob for 20 seconds then the lights on the mdx will blink and it’s reprogrammed.
As for the lock actuators, in my failed attempts to program anew fob, I blew 1 lock actuator and another is failing. So I got better versions of the actuator motors from rock auto and I’ll replace them instead of the cheap “basic” ones as they open every time I hit one button. I want them to last

·
Registered
623 Posts
In the MDX if you hold down lock and unlock at the same time, after 1 second it kills the driving position memory activation feature of the remote, meaning if you've programmed position 1 of your seat, it won't put the seat back into position 1 automatically when you unlock the car with remote #1. If you hold both again, it will restore it. Remotes are hardcoded as 1 and 2.

There is no documentation that any other hold sequence does something different.

Every car is a little bit different with this. My Nissan Pathfinder if I held lock and unlock down, it would toggle whether the car would honk when locking and unlocking the car, or only flash the lights. I definitely had the honk turned off. Was ultra annoying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts