Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since installing my trailer hitch I notice the liftgate does not open completely. Have searched Youtube, the owners manual, and called the dealership. All with zero help.. dealership said they would call back, yea right. Never got a call back. So guess I'll ask here. When my liftgate opens I can walk up and lift it another 2 inches. Being rather tall we want it open as high as possible so we dont hit our heads.

·
Registered
713 Posts
adding a trailer hitch would not change how a lift gate operates. None of the instructions come close to a lift gate component - and although it changes the ride (I think much better) I don't recall the hitch lowering the back of the car. My suggestion is drive by the dealer and look at some other 2018, compare the deck height and also the lift gate height to see if yours is actually lower than others - then present that argument to the dealer service while you are there. Just not sure because we are tall is adequate argument to get warranty work on something that may or may not be broken. I have a 2015 but maybe when I get home tonight I can measure the height from the garage to the lid when up. Mine has a hitch too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree adding a hitch should have nothing to do with it. However the first page of the instructions tell you to disconnect the battery. Which means the car is dead for two to three hours. This necessitates almost everything being reprogramed. So Im guessing that might include the liftgate open position. Thus the reason it srops about 2 inches short of full open position.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The lift gate on the MDX does not have a programmable height setting.

AFAIK, it is normal for there to be an inch or two extra play after the power open operation is complete.

·
Registered
713 Posts
it is 27 1/2 inches to the top of the bumper crease on a 2015 SH-AWD Tech with stock wheels and tires and when up 75 inches to the center of the metal skin on the lift gate. As it is it barely clears my garage door when both are up so I wouldn't want it any taller to prevent an accidental oops.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, Im here. I guess p07r gave me the answer I was looking for. There is no programable height stop, and there is a couple of inches of slop at the top of the travel.
One other stupid thing I discovered. The 12V power sockets, especially the one at the far rear drivers side is only powered whenmthe engine is running. How dumb is that?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The 12V power sockets, especially the one at the far rear drivers side is only powered whenmthe engine is running. How dumb is that?
I don’t consider that dumb. Better than coming back to a MDX that won’t start because the battery is dead.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10 years and I never came back to my Suzuki with a dead battery. The idea of having a constant hot 12V socket is so I can start and run a compack refer when traveling. As it is now, I have to start the car, waste fuel while I go start the refer, and make sure its set correctly. Yea, its maybe two minutes total. But thats two minutes of wasted energy. To me thats just plane dumb!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Two inches of slop isn't normal. My 16 and now 18 opens all the way and I can't push it any further. However I've noticed that my 18 liftgate's left shock king of sticks in the last few inches. I'll have my dealer look at it when I in for something else and I'd recommend OP to do the same.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
10 years and I never came back to my Suzuki with a dead battery. The idea of having a constant hot 12V socket is so I can start and run a compack refer when traveling. As it is now, I have to start the car, waste fuel while I go start the refer, and make sure its set correctly. Yea, its maybe two minutes total. But thats two minutes of wasted energy. To me thats just plane dumb!
Oh the irony.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with you, and it's a no brainer to fix. All you have to do is run a 12V hot wire to the socket. If you don't want to do it yourself and it is that big a deal take it to a car audio shop. I have a similar quibble about the USB connectors. There should be one, someplace that is accessible to the front occupants of the car, that is wired hot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2017 is the same way. My local Acura store said that it’s “normal”. Being an automotive consultant, I checked with some of my Acura stores. All had the same answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2014 does same thing .. about four inches more of travel after it stops --- dealer says that's normal --- however for three years, 2014-2017, this tailgate went up all the way

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my MDX in June and noticed the same problem. I am tall and I've hit my head a couple times already. After I noticed that the lift gate was not opening all the way, I took it back to the dealer and he noticed that one the struts were broken. They replaced it, and when I picked it up, the lift gate was opening all the way. However, after about a week, I am having the same problem again. It sucks hitting your head on that thing. Hopefully something can be fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts