Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been chasing leaks on my son's 03 MDX. First task was the VTC/Oil Filter bracket o-ring. However I still had a fairly serious leak; 1 qt/1000 miles perhaps.

After examination I found oil draining from the camshaft end plug seal on front cylinder head. It's a plug or cap that covers the rear end of the camshaft. An oring seals the plug.

Today I removed the plug and replaced the oring. I found a good video of the procedure on youtube.

I put off replacing the rear cylinder head plug seal as it is not leaking and it's hot in TX.

regards

·
Registered
248 Posts
Did you have any troubles with the install? Any tips? I used oil to pre lube the o ring seals.
I found it hard to install with the new o ring in place as its a tight tolerance. I did no want to pinch/damage the o ring.
After install I still may have a small leak, I need to pull it apart again to see if the o ring is OK.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only difficulty I had was removal of end plug. It is a tight fit and nothing to pry against. I used needle nose vise grips to grab the bolt hole and finally got enough gap between plug and head to pry. New oring and end cap installed easily using bolts to draw end plug down.

My son has been out of town and I haven't had chance to inspect for leaks.

Plan to do rear cylinder head plug seal when weather is cooler.

good luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks, Texas

That is exact method of what I did too.
I wouldn't mine an update once you do a quick inspection for leaks:)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No leaks from forward plug seal. I can't see any leaks from rear plug seal w/ existing oring.

good luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well here's my problem, as I thought a pinched o ring. I guess I didn't take much care on the first try. Luckily I got two o rings and the rear seal is dry as a bone. Fixed now:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suggest aligning bolt holes carefully before insertion of end plug. Any twisting risks bunching/pinching of oring.

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.