Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 MDX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably isn't the most popular car for a camper conversion, but it ended up working well for an extended road trip and weekenders. Figured I'd throw out the idea for anyone looking to do something similar. Final dimensions allowed for 47" wide overall. The 36" drawer slides seemed to be the most expensive single part, found a pair for about 100 on amazon. When extended I use cargo straps hooked onto the headrest supports to support the platform. Made me a bit nervous at first but it has proven to work out perfectly.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper
Trunk Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Looks like a 2nd Gen MDX.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, I am impressed.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
76 Posts
Yeah that is pretty impressive right there.

What did you end up using as a mattress over the slats?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Totally cool! Acura Vanagon! 1+ on the engineering !

·
Registered
2007 MDX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Ended up using the EXPED 7.5 Duo. It actually fits pretty well and folds in half if you need the middle row.

Yeah, first year of the Gen 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is great work, I love how simple it is! You've inspired me to attempt this project on my first generation MDX this weekend! My plan is to use this for a few nights on a road trip along the West Coast.

Questions:
1. Can you provide me with the sizes of the lumber? I am guessing they are: 1x4 (slats), 1x8 (frame)
2. For the horizontal box frame sections (section touching the floor), are you using two pieces? (I see the one toward the trunk, however, did you place a second one that would rest closer to the rear seat hinge?)
3. Does your Box allow for the seats to fold up when not extended?
4. Any tips and/or suggestions for someone attempting this?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

·
Registered
2007 MDX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is great work, I love how simple it is! You've inspired me to attempt this project on my first generation MDX this weekend! My plan is to use this for a few nights on a road trip along the West Coast.

Questions:
1. Can you provide me with the sizes of the lumber? I am guessing they are: 1x4 (slats), 1x8 (frame)
2. For the horizontal box frame sections (section touching the floor), are you using two pieces? (I see the one toward the trunk, however, did you place a second one that would rest closer to the rear seat hinge?)
3. Does your Box allow for the seats to fold up when not extended?
4. Any tips and/or suggestions for someone attempting this?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!
Nice plan! Should work perfect for a road trip, that's mostly how I've used mine.

1. Lumber size was a 2x10 for the main frame, though I think that could have been a bit narrower. I went with that height so I could fit a slim colman cooler in on the right hand side instead of doing a second drawer. 1x8 would probably work a bit better and give you a bit more headroom when sleeping on the platform. It is kind of a tight fit. The top slate are 1x4.
2. You're right, the back has the extra section of 2x10 that it sits on top of. When you fold down the third row seats you'll see they don't sit completely flat so that makes up for the slope. The box ends up sitting flat with that piece as a spacer. It may be a bit different for a different model but for me it was easier to make it all flat and then just put the spacer board in after to make it the right height overall. I actually liked having it there because it provides just enough resistance to help keep the drawer in place. Of course you could just use locking slides too..
3. Yes, that was my goal with the extending deal, the second row can have all the seats up so I actually just end up keeping it in there full time.

I guess I learned a few things along the way: It does get important to keep the airflow if you want to sleep in it. Search amazon for Qualizzi sunshades. They make these covers for the rear door windows so you can keep the windows rolled down and still get a screen. They just slide over and stay on when the door is shut. I would highly suggest getting those. I also use a Napier sportz cove tent on the back. Those things hold up fairly well, even stood up to a heavy hail storm. I'd also take an extra second and decide if you really need a drawer. I almost did it more for the project and it is kinda convenient to have the stove just roll out, but it does increase the cost a bunch. Those slides can get pricey, I spent about 150 for the pair, and honestly I should have spent even more for the locking version. Totes slid in can be pretty affective too so I'd say it depends on what other camp stuff you have. Most times I just end up using the stove on a table away from the car anyway. Oh and I was initially worried about how to support the bed frame on the front side when extended. The picture shows early on and has some boards under it but I ended up just using cargo straps with the hooks onto the front seat headrests, that ended up working perfectly.

Be sure and post your when you get it done!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for all of the inspiration! Mine is definitely not as sleek with those drawers and sliding slats, but I gave it a shot. I really enjoyed the process and appreciate the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts