Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the SF Bay Area and had the unfortunate mishap of having an object hit my windshield and put a large crack in it. I need to get the windshield replaced but from what I've been told, I will also need to get the camera re-calibrated. I called Acura of Serramonte and they are charging me $600. I haven't checked with any of the other dealerships here in the Bay Area, but if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Can the re-calibration be done by a body shop that installs windshields? I really feel like i'm being gouged here. Does this take 6 hours of work for someone to do?

Also, I know that there's a thread out there about this, but in my 30 years of owning a car, this is a first time that something has hit my windshield and actually put a crack into it. I really do enjoy the Acura brand. This is my 2nd Acura, but I'm very disappointed with this windshield issue and the amount that they are charging for this service.

Thanks,

Sal

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just had windshield replaced on my 2015 Acura MDX Adv+Ent. Was done at a body shop. Based on info here I did ask them about camera recalibration. There are mixed comments on this website regarding the necessity of calibration after windshield replacement. That being said they did it at the body shop and was included in the cost of windshield replacement. Even so to this date Im not certain it was needed or necessary. Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply MD. I'll call the shop that's installing the windshield and will inquire about the re-calibration.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i replaced windshield on my 2014 mdx advance, re-calibration was not needed. i got it done at 3rd party auto but i told them order the windshield from dealer. i didn't want any cheaper or aftermarket brand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For clarification purposes I should add that I too had an OEM Acura windshield replacement for my car. Perhaps if OEM used recalibration isn't required but I had it done anyway at the body shop where it was.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just had windshield replaced on my 2015 Acura MDX Adv+Ent. Was done at a body shop. Based on info here I did ask them about camera recalibration. There are mixed comments on this website regarding the necessity of calibration after windshield replacement. That being said they did it at the body shop and was included in the cost of windshield replacement. Even so to this date Im not certain it was needed or necessary. Hope this information helps.
There are mixed comments but we all came to some kind of conclusion.

OP - $600 is price gouge but then you are in the Bay Area. Niello Acura in Roseville did it for $199 which was reimbursed back by my insurance for my first Windshield (OEM). My second windshield (OEM) replacement didn't need a recalibration because the installer only power the system up AFTER FULLY REPLACING the module back onto the new windshield. If the installer drove the car BEFORE the module was fully replaced onto the new windshield, then recalibration will need.

Long thread here:
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/111242-anyone-w-2016-had-windshield-replaced-2.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just curious.... why would installer drive the car before completing full install? Makes no sense. But great info. Thanks.
It makes sense to me if the installer forgets to connect the wire or did not clip the camera all the way. Sometimes installers would complete the windshield portion but forget to the complete the other (i.e. kinda related but not really, Safelite forgot to install the rain sensor film). You're welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts