Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys- I need help stat! Found out my wife is pregnant, our 1st. anyways, need to find a camcorder that will occasionally dub as a digital camera. unfortunately, i don't have a clue. The last time i was looking at camcorders, then came in vhs or beta. :rolleyes:

so, where do i start? do i need DV? any good sites for info? what about quality/reliability. Since i am not much of a camera/camcorder fanatic, i am hoping to pay less than $1000. let me know if you think this is an unrealistic price.

thanx in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
First CONGRATS!!!!

I bought my first DV/digital camera last year for my little girl's birth. Fortunantly 1k is a realistically set price for a dual purpose DV you may go over or under. I bought a Sony PC-110 great DV camcorder, great carl zeiss lens. adequate digital camera 1.2 mega pixel. Really good for those times you are caught without a camera and just have the camcorder. The fun part is when you edit you movies on you computer. I have been editing movies using a firewire connection on my DV camcorder. Its great but takes up alot of space. I like Panys too great price vs Sony. Remember though each have their own propietary memory for digital photo storage. it's late right now so I can get into specifics other than I wrote. but if you have any questions go ahead and IM me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
HI..

YES.. I THINK THE SONY'S ARE NICE..

BUT DEPENDS ON WHERE AND HOW YOU GIONG TO VIEW IT.

I HAD A CLASS WHERE WE ALL USE THE CANNON ZR-10(NOW IT'S OLD AND BEING REPLACED)
AND I PULG IT INTO MY MAC G4'S FIREWIRE, EDIT IT WITH THE FREE IMOVIE,
BACK TO THE ZR-10, THEN STRIGHT ONTO THE VCR.

EVERYTHING WAS FINE TO ME... BUT IF YOU WANNA VIEW IT ON THE BIG SCREEN,
WITH FINER DETIAL.. MIGHT WANNA TRY SOMETHING ON THE HIGH END.

ZR-10 SHOULD BE AROUND 400 NOW.. THE NEW ZR-20 IS ABOUT 500 NOW..

I HEAR GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE SONY.. BUT NEVER TRIED IT.. SO CAN'T TELL U..

YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO THINK ABOUT USING THE DV AS CAMERA,
CAUSE SOME OF THEM DOES HAVE THE FUNTION.

^__^

TYP

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I own and use a Sony Digital Mini DV from the TRV line which I thoroughly enjoy using. While mine has the capability of taking stills, and recording on a memory stick, the quality is quite weak as it is only 1.2 megapixals. On the other hand, the clarity of the movies is spectacular and the ease of use is wonderful. I view the movies via an infrared connection on our 65 inch TV and it is truly spectacular. The other atvantage of a mini is the size. It is no problem taking it anywhere as it is quite small and lightweight. While I understand your desire to spend as little as possible, at $1,000 you are real close to a fine piece of equipment. Your kids will only be young once, wait on some MDX accessory that you can get later and get a camcorder that you will be happy with. Afterall, you can spend $750 on a camera that will spend most of its time in a closet, or $1,250 on one that you can't wait to use!

As was previously posted, I connect to my PC via a firewire and edit the movies for further recording on a DVD or tape. You can also freeze fram and capture individual frames for great quality stills.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you don't need both features in one unit and want better pictures, I would go with a relatively cheap DV camcorder (about $500-600) and get a separate digital camera (you can get a 3 Meg.pxl model for around $350). I like Sony for the camcorder. I like having them separate so I don't always need to bring the camcorder if I just want pics. Also, with two you can do pics while your partner takes video.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I use the 110 as a still camera on occasion. Having the capability is nice for that special shot when you are normally shooting video.
Being ultra compact, the 110 and my DSC85 makes great companions in one relatively small camera bag.
Plus I only need one charger and the same type battery for both, and they both take memory sticks. It's very convenient.

·
681 Posts
Here's One to Look At

Although no camcorder will do as good a job as a digital still camera - just like digital still cameras never make as good a movie - if you want a camcorder to do it all take a look at the Sony TRV740:
15x optical/420x digital zoom
2.5" SwivelScreen color LCD monitor
1/4.7" Advanced HAD CCD imager, 1 million pixels
520 lines of horizontal resolution
Super SteadyShot picture stabilization
Super NightShot and Color Slow Shutter for low-light shots
Digital still memory mode and MPEG Movie EX mode, which extends MPEG recording time via Memory Stick media (8MB media included)
i.LINK (IEEE 1394) DV interface and built-in USB terminal for high-speed digital data transfer
Print Image Matching (PIM) technology
Playback zoom
Digital program editing, fader modes, digital picture effects and picture effect modes
It's a great camcorder and because of the Megapixel size chip. it can do some pretty good snaps.
It is currently $800 at BestBuy
I have the slightly older TRV730 and have been blown away by the video quality. A lot of the footage I shoot goes into broadcast tapes and it holds up extremely well compared to the studio cameras
Meep Meep
Meep Meep

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sony TRV30

Just got one from J&R. See below. Great camera...

MSRP - 1699.00
J&R price (at the time) - 1349.00
Chase Corp. discount - 1335.00 + shipping (to save on 8.25% tax)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sony

I have the same one ( Sony DCR-TRV730 Digital8 Handycam) as the Roadrunner and have been extremely happy with it. Here is a MDX picture from the "still" function on the memory stick with the image resized to fit here.

Good luck. Niles

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
compromise?

I am in the same situation. Baby on the way in August.

Last week I ordered:

Sony Mini DV Camcorder TRV27 (I think this is a new model and has the larger 3.5in screeen but only 1.x megapixels) - approx. $900

and

Sony DSC-S85 digital camera - approx. $625 (4+ megapixels)

My thought was to get a good camcorder and a good camera, but not the best of both.

I have not received them yet, therefore cannot give first hand experience. They both sound good on paper and have good reviews.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
rshanklin,
I also own a pair of Sonys...TRV 10 Camcorder (thr predecessor to the 27) and a Cybershot DSC-F505V still camera. Both are small enough to carry in the same case and both are EASY to use and take fabulous pictures/movies. You will be quite pleased with your selections.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanx guys and gals.

1+ megapixels is not a lot. maybe i need to go ahead and buy a camcorder, and a digital camera. I just thought it would be easier to carry one instead of two cameras.

any good links for analysis. I checked out about.com, but the info. is a little overwhelming.

thanx again

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
MDXLuvr,

Check out www.megapixel.net for reviews of many digital cameras. Also, you may want to check out zdnet.com and do a search on digital cameras. I have found both sites helpful.

Maik

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
MDXLuvr said:
thanx guys and gals.

1+ megapixels is not a lot. maybe i need to go ahead and buy a camcorder, and a digital camera. I just thought it would be easier to carry one instead of two cameras.
It really depends on your intended use. It's a bit more convenient and useful to have both in one unit if you only plan to use the camcorder for pics once in a while. If you plan to make use of the still function as much or more than video then I would get a separate digital camera. Heck, I only have the Sony DSC50 (2.1 Megapixel) but it is still pretty good and very easy to carry. For me, there are just too many times that I want to take pics but don't need/want the camcorder.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MDXLuvr said:
thanx guys and gals.

any good links for analysis. I checked out about.com, but the info. is a little overwhelming.

thanx again
I don't know if you have seen the PC110 in person, but it is VERY small as are the other MiniDV's.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I want to reiterate that the camera function I use on the PC-110 is for ocassional snapshots. I bought a Nikon 775 for my digital pics, still waiting on the d100. As for size I will post a pic when I get a chance. My baby is demanding today, hmm can you say she is teething. BTW GET READY NOW! Meaning get all the stuff you want for a baby room etc. You will not have time when he/she comes. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
check out the Panasonic Palmcorder VHSC

We could not believe the features of this camera for the money.

Panasonic Palmcorder
750x digital zoom
20x optical high-definition zoom
digital image stabilization
2.5 in screen
supplemental light and low light recording
built in digital camera
comes with all required cables for computer
comes with software
comes with memory card for digital pictures
comes with VHSC adapter (just plug the VHSC tape in this and view in VCR with no transfer of tapes

All this for $374 at Wal-Mart. We went for a less expensive model, because we like to upgrade every so often (without heart failure due to technology changes). We have been very happy with this unit quality for the money.

Good luck!:)

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Re: check out the Panasonic Palmcorder VHSC

'X MOM said:
We could not believe the features of this camera for the money.

Panasonic Palmcorder

All this for $374 at Wal-Mart.

it's a great price I might tell my parents bout this. But MDXluvr wants a DV.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
DV (or even DV-8) TOTALLY shines compared to VHSC...

If you don't go with with mini-DV you MUST get at least a Digital8 camera!!!

The quality will make even "mostly blind Aunt Tillie" sit up and go WOW!

With a new baby myself I also HIGHLY recommend get a small cheap "print maker" like the Sony units (PVP-MSH & DPP-MP1 can be had for much less than list...) as grandparents & out-of-town relatives LOVE to put up "fridge shots" ASAP...

Price wise the combinition of features on a DV-8 & printer is far more economical than a DV ( of cource MUCH less than a micro-DV).

I REALLY like a BIG LCD, both becuase I'm very nearsighted, and because it is WAY FUN to play back stuff and let others watch...

You might consider the TRV-840.

·
681 Posts
No Comparison !!

Having used both I'll definitely have to agree with renov8r. There is NO - ZERO - NADA - NO WAY - ZIP comparison between the quality of Digital video and VHS even S-VHS. The digital quality is mind blowing.
More importantly, if you want to edit your video, you can do it directly on a computer with NO loss of quality between the original and the copy. That's something you could NEVER do with analog especially VHS. The first generation would be OK but it was all downhill from there.
Meep Meep

1 - 20 of 49 Posts