Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am certain that all 3rd generation owners love their MDX. However, I am interested in hearing from former 2nd generation owners. What are the significant real-world differences between your old 2G versus your 3G? Is it more reliable? Is the real-world fuel economy alot better? Are the electronics alot more convenient? Is it alot more comfortable?

I am in the market for a MDX SHawd and trying to decide if the 3G is worth the $20k undepreciated premium. Thank you for your time and input.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I am in the market for a MDX SHawd and trying to decide if the 3G is worth the $20k undepreciated premium.
The 3rd gen is a little over 2 years old now so you can include the possibility of getting a 3rd gen that's already 2 years down on the depreciation curve if you want (2014 model) so it's not all or none - i.e. it's not 'new' 3rd gen against a used 2nd gen.

The 3rd gen gets significantly better mileage than the 2nd gen - this is objective - i.e. not just my opinion.

Some people find the 3rd gen more comfortable than the 2nd gen and vice versa. Since this point is subjective, you should try it out yourself and see what you think.

Some people aren't happy with the 3rd gen infotainment but that's somewhat subjective and apples/oranges due to different features and also something you can check for yourself. Don't expect the 3rd gen infotainment to automatically be better than the 2nd gen.

The 3rd gen has some safety systems available that the 2nd gen didn't have.

The 3rd gen has only been out 2 years so I think it'd be difficult for people to comment objectively on reliability and as has been discussed on other threads, the term 'reliability' means different things to different people. There can be a big difference in perceived lack of features in the infotainment (which some people have actually included in 'reliability'), a rattle somewhere, and an engine or tranny quitting.

You didn't ask but another difference is in handling with the 3rd gen being the better handling MDX according to professional reviews. It's also somewhat faster than the 2nd gen. The 3rd gen is also somewhat larger and seats people in the 3rd row better.

Note that the 3rd gen has 2 different trannies - 2014/2015 have a 6 speed and the 2016 has a 9 speed. They have different characteristics.

But - I've never had a 2nd gen (I have a 2014 MDX) so take what I said above fwiw.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
You should really just drive a 3G to decide yourself. It's hard for us to gauge someone else's definition of worth and value. Like mdxstang said, reliability is still unknown. There's a bunch of nagging small issues with the 3G, but hasn't been many reports of big issues like failures of the mechanical systems. Electrical seems to be buggy though for some.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am certain that all 3rd generation owners love their MDX. However, I am interested in hearing from former 2nd generation owners. What are the significant real-world differences between your old 2G versus your 3G? Is it more reliable? Is the real-world fuel economy alot better? Are the electronics alot more convenient? Is it alot more comfortable?

I am in the market for a MDX SHawd and trying to decide if the 3G is worth the $20k undepreciated premium. Thank you for your time and input.
There is a lot of discussion on this topic. A bunch of folks (myself included) came from 2G MDX's.

Search is your friend.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies. I wanted to fill you in on my search.

I was hoping that test drives on a 2G and 3G models would put the issue to rest, but my wife and I are still conflicted.

My wife likes the exterior styling of the 2013 we tested and she felt that the 2016 was much bigger (too big?). Though specs show it only 2 inches longer, she thought it was much larger.

The 2013 seemed to have better road and steering wheel feel; the 2016 steering seemed a little over boosted. While the 2016 infotainment wasn't as hard to use as I feared, we are wary of so many functions within one delicate electronics system.

The biggest problem with the 2013 was the wind noise at speed; that may be a deal killer. The 2016 was very comfortable and the rear seats were much better. This will be my wife's car, so she is deciding which attributes are most important to her.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We owned 2007 Tech Ent MDX for 8 years until we recently traded it in for a 2016 tech. Here is my take:

The 3rd gen is way smoother than the 2nd. It makes the 2nd gen feels like a truck.

The 3rd gen is noticeably less sporty handling wise vs the 2nd gen. The 3rd gen feels floaty.

The transmission on the 3rd gen feels weird to me - it has strange delays and surges, but it is driveable. This though makes the 3rd gen feels even less sporty. There are many posts on this already so I won't elaborate much more.

Amenities inside are very comparable. The control touch screen is ok, not great but not bad.

Seats are extremely comfortable on the old 2nd gen. The 3rd gen's are comfortable, but the lumbar is not as great.

Entry exit height is 1inch less on the 3rd gen. I like this better than the 2nd gen.

Overall, the 3rd gen feels more plush and luxurious, but less sporty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Overall, the 3rd gen feels more plush and luxurious, but less sporty.
I agree with all your assessments. Ultimately, we decided to purchase a lightly used 2013 MDX. Although the 3G has a lot going for it, we liked the 2G handling, transmission, center stack, and mature technology better. Not to mention that it was $15k less.

Coming from a BMW E46, the 2G road feel was better. Although the 3G's increased rear wheel bias probably improves handling, the 2G just felt like the better handling car.

Although I didn't experience any significant problems with the transmission during my test drive, so many others have. I also didn't like the push-button control; a stick can be easily operated without looking at it. Also, the buttons seemed to be vulnerable to coffee spills being so close to the cup holder.

The center stack infotainment center was also something I didn't like. It seemed to be a source of distraction and premature failure. Although I felt I could get used to it, the thought of losing so many functions if the electronics malfunctioned was disconcerting.

Finally, I don't trust Acura's implementation of new technology. There are valid reasons for using a 9-speed, but it seems that Acura released it into their vehicles before they were ready. I bet 9-speeds on the 2017 models will be much improved. The new center stack infotainment is slow and looks like 1999 technology. I don't see a practical improvement over the 2013 and I'll be using Google Maps anyway since ALL motor vehicle OE GPS' suck. The 3G engine is much better, but they are still working out bugs and I don't have to worry about direct injection carbon cleaning down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts