Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 MDX with about 130k miles on it. So far, no issues which would affect drive-ability. Runs very well. Through the past 12 years, I had to get HFL unit replaced, there was a relatively inexpensive air conditioning fix, and recently I got oil pump resealed, along with timing belt work. And I replaced a DRL light bulb. That's about all.
Compared to newer models which I had as loaners, e.g., 2020 MDX, newest MDXs are quieter and burns less gas, but other than that, there is no Wow! factor in the 3rd gen compared to 2nd gen, and they drive about the same as 2nd gen, in my opinion.

Really, the only downside which becomes relatively annoying over time is that it is a gas guzzler in city traffic. Long distance driving is less of an issue. I get around 11-12 MPG in city traffic and it gets worse as traffic gets worse and worse every year, while on freeway I can get up to 24-26 MPG.

Reliability depends on how the car was driven (and quality of roads on which it was driven) and how it was maintained. Not all owners are equal. Not all roads are equal.

If you are not in the U.S. or Canada, availability of parts and trained in repairing these vehicles service might be a concern.

I have a friend who also has a 2008 MDX, but he has around 160k miles on his. Still running strong, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I just had a baby and are in serious need of a new (to us) baby mover and our first real family vehicle. We've settled on a 2007-2009 Acura MDX after comparing various SUVs against one another and our budget of 20k.
Around $20k, we've noticed that most used MDXs have about 80-110k miles on them. Should this worry us? I know the timing belt and water pump should be replaced around then and we are taking that into consideration when we car shop. That said, I have not be able to find much in the way of a long term reliability test for the 2nd Gen MDX. It is a Honda after all, will it run smoothly to 200k miles with regular maintenance? Does the interior wear far too quickly after 5-6 years? I've test driven a couple MDXs already and I've liked what I've seen for the most part, I just do not know what exactly I should be looking for.
If any of you have or have had a 2nd gen MDX and have any information you could pass along, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I have a 2012 Advanced Package which I recommend. Acura replaced my lower end last year. Once you buy used always get your mechanic to go over it. And yes when replacing parts like the timing belt go head and get them to replace the other parts where you would not have to pay labor twice. The advance package has many options that other base models do not. 105k runs like brand new and expect to get 400k on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I paid $20k for a 2008 MDX with 75k miles in 2014 so it should be much cheaper now. I have about 170k miles now and it's been pretty reliable. I've had some issues with peripherals like the auto-dimming feature on the rear view mirror and the memory of where my steering wheel should be set (which is apparently affected by the side mirror motors-they charged me a couple hundred to fix it and it broke again within 6 months). But I've had no major problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and I just had a baby and are in serious need of a new (to us) baby mover and our first real family vehicle. We've settled on a 2007-2009 Acura MDX after comparing various SUVs against one another and our budget of 20k.
Around $20k, we've noticed that most used MDXs have about 80-110k miles on them. Should this worry us? I know the timing belt and water pump should be replaced around then and we are taking that into consideration when we car shop. That said, I have not be able to find much in the way of a long term reliability test for the 2nd Gen MDX. It is a Honda after all, will it run smoothly to 200k miles with regular maintenance? Does the interior wear far too quickly after 5-6 years? I've test driven a couple MDXs already and I've liked what I've seen for the most part, I just do not know what exactly I should be looking for.
If any of you have or have had a 2nd gen MDX and have any information you could pass along, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
We had a 2009 MDX Tech package and traded it in for a 2020 MDX. Our 2009 had NO problems and was very reliable, you'll find that the 2009s had hardly any issues. Loved it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are getting ready to get a 2020. Our 2011 has 153000 and no issues whatsoever. I’m still running on the original brakes, (we don’t stop much. LOL) Any, it looks great inside. And out with only a couple very minor cosmetic issues. They only want to give us 6k on trade. I think it’s easily worth 8k. Have done all the maintenance required and have records of it. If anyone is interested in a 2011 MDX Tech package, let me know. We’re in the Cleveland, Ohio area, but this car has not seen a northern Ohio winter in 7 years. Looks like a Florida car underneath.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts