Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just had a baby and are in serious need of a new (to us) baby mover and our first real family vehicle. We've settled on a 2007-2009 Acura MDX after comparing various SUVs against one another and our budget of 20k.
Around $20k, we've noticed that most used MDXs have about 80-110k miles on them. Should this worry us? I know the timing belt and water pump should be replaced around then and we are taking that into consideration when we car shop. That said, I have not be able to find much in the way of a long term reliability test for the 2nd Gen MDX. It is a Honda after all, will it run smoothly to 200k miles with regular maintenance? Does the interior wear far too quickly after 5-6 years? I've test driven a couple MDXs already and I've liked what I've seen for the most part, I just do not know what exactly I should be looking for.
If any of you have or have had a 2nd gen MDX and have any information you could pass along, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
73 Posts
For $20K, you should be able to get a much newer MDX than that. My 2011 Tech package with 76k is only worth $10-12k and according to KBB, for $18-20K, you can get a 2015 MDX in very good condition from a private owner. Shop around for private 1 owner MDX's. Congrats on the baby!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know where you live, but for $20k you can get a 3rd gen for little over 100k milage. You just have to look and not rush into buying it. Mine is 07 and currently has around 238k mile. Other than suspension parts going out nothing is wrong with it and I have yet to encounter any issues with mine except for few issues which was my fault, but I plan on fixing it when the weather is nice. I do my own maintenance and do most of the recommended services regularly.

Few issues which seem to be common as far as I notice.

1. Transmission Range Switch issues when its cold
2. Excessive oil consumption and horrible gas mileage
3. Various electrical problems
4. HFL can go bad and drain the battery.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Find an auto repair shop that has "Import" in its name. Pay them to inspect the 07 - 09 MDX, before you buy it.
Professionals rely on special, expensive ($5,000) scan tools, know how to interpret the results, and if a seller has reset the diagnosis history, to hide issues, don't buy that vehicle.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
We've settled on a 2007-2009 Acura MDX after comparing various SUVs against one another and our budget of 20k.
1) $20K is a budget for a good third gen car. Most second gens will not cost you more than $10K.
2) Do not buy a 2010-2013 MDX if you want reliability, as you are risking to get an oil burner.
3) 2007-2009 does not have that issue, but it's probably too old for you. However if you are lucky, you can get a really low mileage car that's been taken care of.
4) Do you really need a three row SUV for a family of 3?

Good luck!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Note that the OP is likely not from North America, so price point is probably mute.

Zack, post #3 gives some good advice, though if you stick to '07-'09 the oil consumption is not likely an issue. '10-'13 was. One thing not mentioned was the weak radiator/internal transmission cooler developing a leak and mixing coolant with transmission fluid. That will ruin a transmission if not caught early. You can either replace the radiator preemptively or install a large external cooler and just bypass the radiator, the latter being the less expensive fix. Water leaks from dried out/shrunken body seam sealer on the roof is a common root cause for electrical issues, but easily fixed just as disconnecting the HFL module fixes the battery drain issue. With reasonable care the interior is fine IMO, and the basic platform is good to 300K+ with modest attention to maintenance.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was in the same boat as you recently, but got an 07 mdx as a baby hauler. I kind of wish I went a different route after a year of driving it.
Since there are 2 rows of rear seats, the 2nd row where the baby seat goes is a little cramped. The rear facing baby seat only really fits in the middle, and it is a pain to get the baby in an and out of the car, juggling him into the middle.
It is now recommended that babies remain rear facing until 4 years of age, so thats a lot of juggling.
Take the car seat with you when you shop for a vehicle and try it out.
I've had a couple annoying electrical problems with my MDX and now my adjustable suspension is failing.
I'm leaning towards switching to a minivan now lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was in the same situation as you back in 2011. Bought a 2011 brand new, now has 64,000 miles. The only thing we've done is brakes and tires to date. Now it's drinking a little oil which is well known, but not enough for the rebuild according to the dealer. That would be your first issue to check on. I just check every few weeks and top up if necessary. Am preparing for the timing belt service. Honestly its a great baby carrier. Its a one owner. Was thinking about selling it but now might just do the service and see how long it can go. Although for 20k you could have it lol. Have all the service records from the day it was bought too.
Sorry just read that you were looking for a 2007-09. Thought it was all 2nd gen.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
For $20K, I would look at 3rd gen 14-15 MDXs. The 3rd gen would have:
  • much improved mpgs over the 2nd gen
  • lighter and better acceleration
  • standard auto rear hatch compared to only certain models of the 07-09 MDXs
  • more kid friendly 2nd row that slide up/back for more room
  • easier access into 3rd row
  • updated info-tainment and tech (especially the adv models with Acurawatch and rear entertainment)
  • LED headlights are a step up from 2nd Gen HIDs
  • 3rd gen drives smaller, improved 360 degree visibility, and isn't as wide as the 2nd Gen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our 2011 MDX w/ Tech has about 93k miles and has been pretty reliable. I did purchase a Acura Care 5/100k warranty just before the original 4/50k expired...so basically I had a nine year warranty. The Acura Care did pay for itself but not until years eight and nine. I'm pretty happy with that.

Our 18 year-old daughter has inherited the MDX and will take it with her to college next year...assuming she can actually move to campus. So we are also looking for a used Honda/Acura SUV for our other two daughters...narrowed it down to a 2017+ CR-V or RDX w/ all the safety features OR a 2014-16 MDX...I think we'll miss having a vehicle w/ a third row, even if we don't use it all that frequently.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Our 18 year-old daughter has inherited the MDX and will take it with her to college next year
That's not going to be good for her wallet. Gas wise using a two ton SUV for driving alone is not a great financial decision. It's only for people like me :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
That's not going to be good for her wallet. Gas wise using a two ton SUV for driving alone is not a great financial decision. It's only for people like me :)
Gas isn't typically a major consumption issue for college students. My son's car averaged about 500 miles a year while he was in school. The bigger issue I found was having a car that didn't drain the battery too quickly due to all the sitting around and short trips. My son's '03 Chevy Malibu was fine, but cars with lots of electronics on them that friends of his has were a challenge. Even so the first 3 summers he was gone all summer and the car sat in the driveway eating a battery, so it got a new battery under warranty each fall before he went back to school.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We bought a 2008 SH-AWD, with all the nav/DVD player, a couple of years ago. [Head phones are still in the OEM baggy.] It has about 165k mi. on it now. I didn't realize at the time that the Bluetooth sys. was controlled (?) by a removable part that lives below the console, under the 2nd row climate controls. Check that the "BT" on any MDX you are interested in works! Just read a Very Good post about DIYing the valve adjustment. Not been looking forward to That $$$. Our's is black, with the tan/beige leather interior, & 3rd row. Folded the 3rd row down 2 days after we got it home; still down! Niece looking seats, but I'm surprised how thin the leather is! We moved up to the MDX, from a '13 Hyundai Elantra. (Us old folks needed the easier "get-in-&-out" of the larger car. My biggest concern now, is getting the trans. fluid & filter changed. Anyone out there done that DIY? As they say, get it looked at, over & under, Good Luck! Stay safe out there!!!😷

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
My biggest concern now, is getting the trans. fluid & filter changed. Anyone out there done that DIY? As they say, get it looked at, over & under, Good Luck! Stay safe out there!!!😷
That´s really easy! you can look at any video for a Pilot, Ridgeline, MDX what ever.. The trans fluid procedure is basically universal among all Honda V6 products.. As for a trans filter? There used to be a small cartridge like filter on early 5 Speed trans but I dunno if the MDX uses one? It is pretty inconsequential as the BIG Filter inside the transmission is not user replaceable.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It is now recommended that babies remain rear facing until 4 years of age, so thats a lot of juggling.
Where did you read that? In Canada(Ontario) its weight based and have not read this 4 year rule for any other province either.

Also I think 4 year is too old for rear facing, will be very comfortable.

Overall I agree, the 2nd Gen MDX has cramped 2nd row compared to say an RX350 which is same size but 2 rows or for that matter even an Accord

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I just had a baby and are in serious need of a new (to us) baby mover and our first real family vehicle. We've settled on a 2007-2009 Acura MDX after comparing various SUVs against one another and our budget of 20k.
Around $20k, we've noticed that most used MDXs have about 80-110k miles on them. Should this worry us? I know the timing belt and water pump should be replaced around then and we are taking that into consideration when we car shop. That said, I have not be able to find much in the way of a long term reliability test for the 2nd Gen MDX. It is a Honda after all, will it run smoothly to 200k miles with regular maintenance? Does the interior wear far too quickly after 5-6 years? I've test driven a couple MDXs already and I've liked what I've seen for the most part, I just do not know what exactly I should be looking for.
If any of you have or have had a 2nd gen MDX and have any information you could pass along, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
$20k US will get you a much never MDX with much less miles. Example here;

Good luck and Congrats!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2012. Never had a single thing go wrong on it...except for a peeling paint issue. They are excellent cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Former 2008 MDX owner here. I drove my MDX to 151K miles and it was pretty solid for me throughout, with regular maintenance.. At the end however, the engine was leaking some oil and it would have been a $3k repair to replace the seals. I really wanted a new ride anyways at that point so traded the car in for a 2016 XC90. Otherwise, the car is very solid and gets the job done.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts