Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out the new Callaway C4 driver? I would love to hear other opinions about the the carbon fiber driver. I got the choice of any new driver for C-mas and am really leaning towards this new driver. I tested it this past weekend however, it was in a dome so, I was unable to see the distance and full ball flight. So, if you are a golfer go out and test this new club and give me your opinion...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Isn't that the one that is banned under USGA rules cuz it supposedly hits the ball too far? :p I think I saw a while back where Arnie took some heat for endorsing it. I'd love to try it out, but if it's still technically against the rules I probably wouldn't want to buy one. I do love my regular Big Berthas though :) BTW, the MDX is by far the best SUV for carrying clubs IMO (how's that for keeping this on topic? :p )

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Callaway does make a driver that is illegal under USGA rules that is the ERC or ERC II (however, I think it is legal under the R&A rules). The club I am talking about is brand new this month. It is the Callaway Big Bertha C4 (Compression Cured Carbon Composite??). Anyway check out the website. (www.callawaygolf.com). Not sure if i added the hyperlink correctly.

http://callawaygolf.com/clubs/C4.asp

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ronsully,
Before you shell out big bucks for a new driver try some Lady Precept golfs balls. Beside getting in touch with your feminine side, they will do more for your distance off the tee than a new driver as will any low compression balls. Now take your MDX to Nevada Bob's and get a few dozen since you will have plenty of room to carry them along with your clubs. Lower compression balls will make even more of a difference if your driver swing speed in less than 90 mph.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My advice? Have a pro "fit" the driver. I did this after spending $$$ on the wrong driver, and it was the best thing I ever did. He measured club head speed, had me hit several different clubs, and the net result is I replaced my expensive off the shelf driver with one I can hit the ball (relatively) straight!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lady Precept.. Yep. I have used these in the past and they are great. I also like the ProV1 but, you may want to cry when you lose one. I use the NXT not bad. I am looking foward to trying the new Precepts both the seamless and the softie? Anyway, as far as the C4 I am leaning towards it because it seemed to do well while testing however, I can't judge the distance since I was in a dome. My other driver choice was a Taylor Made 360 with a stiff Bimatrix shaft 9.5°. I probally will end up getting the C4 with a stiff graphite shaft 9°. The 9° C4 hits with more loft than just 9°. It is more like a 10° loft. Swing speed is around 90-100. I am hoping my new driver will give me an edge and get my handicap to under ten this season.

Still looking for some feedback on some actually hitting the new Callaway C4. Anyone? Anyone?

;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
QUOTE]Originally posted by Ronsully
... I probably will end up getting the C4 with a stiff graphite shaft 9°. The 9° C4 hits with more loft than just 9°. It is more like a 10° loft. Swing speed is around 90-100. I am hoping my new driver will give me an edge and get my handicap to under ten this season...;) [/QUOTE]

Ronsully,
Don't want to hurt your feelings but the above is probably not the best choice for you for 2 reasons. With your swing speed, you should be using a regular shaft like I do with a 98 mph swing speed. Second, with your lower swing speed, like mine you will not launch the ball properly with a 10° loft. I use a 13° fairway wood for my driver at routinely hit it as far or further than my old 9.5° driver. Club manufacturers make most of their profit on drivers cause guys like you and me that think we can hit it like Tiger when we cannot. Callaway recognized this and made their Stiff flex shafts the same as other manufacturer's regular flex. That is why golfers hit their clubs better than others because they would by a stiff and get a regular flex which was better suited to their swings.

I agree 100% with Markdoc that you should get custom fitted for your driver. I am a Natural Golfer (Moe Norman single axis swing) and was custom fitted for my clubs where the club fitter moved me to a regular from the stiff flex that I had been using for 25 years. I hit the ball straighter and farther because I am properly loading the shaft now where I wasn't before. Now take that MDX and go drive to a clubfitter. You can get the same or better quality shaft and clubhead as the Callaway for at least $100 or more cheaper. Oh by the way my Index is 10.7.:)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Ronsully said:
Has anyone tried out the new Callaway C4 driver? I would love to hear other opinions about the the carbon fiber driver. I got the choice of any new driver for C-mas and am really leaning towards this new driver. I tested it this past weekend however, it was in a dome so, I was unable to see the distance and full ball flight. So, if you are a golfer go out and test this new club and give me your opinion...
I live in San Diego and know a few friends who work for Callaway's R&D's center in Carlsbad california. The Callaway C4 driver is a VERY good drive. really helps a major handicap like me play better.

However...I dont think the professional circuit will allow this driver.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remery,

It is a little hard to believe that you have a 98mph swing speed and are a natural golfer. I swing in the mid 90s as a conventional golfer and I feel that I can hit it much further than most average players. I rarely hit driver on the course because a lot of the holes allow me to hit a 3 wood. As for distance, hats off to you if you can drive it further than me with a 98 mph swing speed (you must drive the ball over 300 yards with that speed) I myself drive the ball about 270 yards. Again I am not a long hitter (I would much prefer to hit it straight than a long way and OB). As far as shaft stiffness and swing speed goes they are not a one to one ratio. Some golfers with high swing speed do much better with regular shafts. If you consider the mid 90s to be a low swing speed than what is a high swing speed for a normal golfer at 120mph you are swinging as fast as the pros.

If you index is what you say it is as a natural golfer that is great. I assume you shoot around 8 over par? I wish I can get that low. Currently I have a 12 index and hope to keep on improving my game. However, I am not interested in natural golf. I enjoy/hate the game far too much conventionally.

Again, I would love some feedback on people actually hitting the C4. This club is a legal too.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Only Advising not Converting

Ronsully,
Not trying to make you a Natural Golfer just provide some club advice when and if you buy a driver. A piece of advice on drivers I recently got that may help you is to hit just 4 or 5 balls with each one. The reason for so few is we all make unconscious swing timing adjustments based upon the shaft and other club characteristics. With just a few hits, the feedback is truer than if one hits 10 to 15 where you may start to make adjustments. The key point I am making here is after spending $1000's on the wrong golf clubs over the past 25 years I finally wised up and got custom fitted. Check with a clubfitter, if you can, as to the best type of shaft and loft for your swing before buying the C4 or any other new driver. I think if you do this, you will have less trouble shaving that 2 points off your index next season. I went from a 12.4 to 10.7 this past season so with the right equipment I bet you can too!:cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will keep an open mind in my search for a driver. I still like the C4 and hopefully it will have an option for aftermarket shafts. The shafts that are in most Callaway drivers are not as good as those aftermarket ones. Still in search of another opinion.. TTFN

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ronsully said:
Remery,

.......As far as shaft stiffness and swing speed goes they are not a one to one ratio. Some golfers with high swing speed do much better with regular shafts....

Again, I would love some feedback on people actually hitting the C4. This club is a legal too.
This is a very good point. Your tempo, and your transitiion from backswing to forward swing are very important in determining the proper shaft flex. Clubhead speed at impact, while important, can be misleading as there are many way's to get to a certain speed. That's why if you compare two players eg- like a John Daly versus a Nick Price you'd find that Price would have much stiffer shafts, even though Daly would have a higher clubhead speed at impact.

If you like the look's of the C4, and you have access to a good PGA professional - get one fitted. The fact that you're posting about it, means that it will probably end up in your bag somehow.... :)

BTW, the point about Callaway's shaft flex (i.e. stiff = regular) is an excellent example of what a master marketer Ely C was. Also - had an opportunity to see Moe Norman hit balls a few years ago. As much as you read about him, it's UNREAL, to actually see anybody hit a ball as purely.... legend has it that he would use the same tee for years - and he'd be sad when he broke one... calls his divots - "little bacon strips".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts