Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the calibration on the compass on my '03 base model and it in fact was set for the wrong region. It was set of course for the region of manufacture. I changed it and it made a noticeable difference in the compass reading which is now right on according to my Magellan GPS unit. The info on doing so is in the owner's manual. I'll bet all the MDXs come out of manufacture set for region 8.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
That may be true, but my dealer calibrated mine as part of the delivery service.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
greatscot said:
That may be true, but my dealer calibrated mine as part of the delivery service.
Interesting. Il ooked at the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) check list and compass calibration is not on it, but I would presume a delaer giving first rate service, as yours did, would handle that. Have you checked it and that's why you know it was done? We are in region 4 (I see you are in California).

I have found the dealer to be arrogant, ill-informed and very poor on follow through. It took me nearly three hours to conclude the purchase at delivery becauseof arithmetic errors both in sales and at th4e buiness manager's office, questions about the deal, questions about licensing, and having to drive down the road to another dealership (BMW) owned by the same company as the Acura business manager was off for the day. Once they had my check I think the sales department forgot who I was. The guy that called a couple of time on the phone from the business office, post sale, left voice mails hoping I was a "happy camper" and would I give them a good survey rating. I did not return the calls, He called again this week and from the message I suspect he did not even remeber he called me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How to calibrate?

Where in the MDX manual does it give instructions to calibrate?

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Re: How to calibrate?

HrdTsk said:
Where in the MDX manual does it give instructions to calibrate?
In the 2002 manual, it's on page 179. Not sure where it is in the 03 model, but it's in there.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Re: Re: How to calibrate?

hammermdx said:

In the 2002 manual, it's on page 179. Not sure where it is in the 03 model, but it's in there.
On my old Grand Cherokee, in order to calibrate the compass, they made you drive around in circles!

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How to calibrate?

laborlitigator said:

On my old Grand Cherokee, in order to calibrate the compass, they made you drive around in circles!
The same procedure is true for the X too, but you first have to put it in calibrate mode.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: How to calibrate?

laborlitigator said:

Actually I was not accurate when I used the word "calibrate". If the compass is indicating that it is "searching", the owner's manual describes the "calibration" process which does include driving in a circle. I had referred to simply setting the correct compass zone and probably confused the issue. Mine was set to zone 8 (which I presume is standard as its the zone of manufacture)--I changed it to zone 4 and it now is right on. The lack of attention to this detail by the dealer was annoying. I'll bet than many out there have compasses not set to their correct zone. This is necessary for compass accuracy as in most areas (not the poles, but I presume there are not too many MDXs there) there is a variation between magnetic north and true north

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: How to calibrate?

norcalchuck said:

Actually I was not accurate when I used the word "calibrate". If the compass is indicating that it is "searching", the owner's manual describes the "calibration" process which does include driving in a circle. I had referred to simply setting the correct compass zone and probably confused the issue. Mine was set to zone 8 (which I presume is standard as its the zone of manufacture)--I changed it to zone 4 and it now is right on. The lack of attention to this detail by the dealer was annoying. I'll bet than many out there have compasses not set to their correct zone. This is necessary for compass accuracy as in most areas (not the poles, but I presume there are not too many MDXs there) there is a variation between magnetic north and true north
no problem, but you still need to drive in two complete circles to re-calibrate the compass when you change zones too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to calibrate?

hammermdx said:

no problem, but you still need to drive in two complete circles to re-calibrate the compass when you change zones too.
Were does it indicate that? I did not see that in the owner's manual as it only indicated that you change zones. The manual states that the compass is "self-calibrating". See page 223 of the '03 owner's manual. It states the calibration process is required when the unit indicates it is calibrating but cannot, and that this is due to external magnetic forces throwing off the compass and/or other issues. Was there something in the manual that stated you must calibrate on change of zone? Perhaps the '01 and/or '02 compass was not self-calibrating.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DaleB said:
I believe they mean it's self-calibrating after initial calibration at your locale. No need to re-calibrate 'as you move about the country".
Well, we need to be clear on terms. Calibrate versus zone setting. The unit is self-calibrating within a given zone so long as there are no external magnetic devices that de-tune the compass beyond the self-calibrating capabilities. Quoting the '03 manual at page 223, "The compass may need to be re-calibrated after exposure to a strong magnetic field".

But my reading of the manual is that clearly, you must manually change zones when moving into a new zone. There is no way a device can know where on earth it is, without GPS reference. As for the separate issue of zone correction, quoting page 225 of the '03 owner's manual, "In most areas, there is a variation between magnetic north and true north. Zone selection is required so the compass can compensate for this variation. To check and select the zone set into the compass, do the following". (Followed by illustrations).

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
norcalchuck said:

Well, we need to be clear on terms. Calibrate versus zone setting. The unit is self-calibrating within a given zone so long as there are no external magnetic devices that de-tune the compass beyond the self-calibrating capabilities. Quoting the '03 manual at page 223, "The compass may need to be re-calibrated after exposure to a strong magnetic field".

But my reading of the manual is that clearly, you must manually change zones when moving into a new zone. There is no way a device can know where on earth it is, without GPS reference. As for the separate issue of zone correction, quoting page 225 of the '03 owner's manual, "In most areas, there is a variation between magnetic north and true north. Zone selection is required so the compass can compensate for this variation. To check and select the zone set into the compass, do the following". (Followed by illustrations).
Thanks for the clarification, I need to recheck my manual. :cool:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DaleB said:

Thanks for the clarification, I need to recheck my manual. :cool:
However, here is an interesting question. A compass could be auto set to the correct zone via GPS input. My comments were re the trip computer without nav/GPS. The nav manual is a separate booklet which I don't have since I have a base model. I suppose the nav system COULD self-set the proper zone via the GPS. I don't know if Acura went that far in the sophistication of the software/hardware design. For that matter, even my handheld Magellan GPS unit requires that I at least tell it for calibration, which area of the globe I am in. Perhaps someone with the nav manual can comment on how the manual refers to compass zone settings, e.g, manual or auto set via the GPS.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I was curious about the same thing, and in fact thought region changes were automatic, as it would not be that convenient to reset them en route during a long trip.
Unfortunately, I am in the process of moving in a new house and took out the Nav manual to do some 'idle' reading while waiting for our home to be ready, now I can't find it!
I am sure others will jump in like our long term Navi researcher, Vicpai.....

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to calibrate?

norcalchuck said:

Were does it indicate that? I did not see that in the owner's manual as it only indicated that you change zones. The manual states that the compass is "self-calibrating". See page 223 of the '03 owner's manual. It states the calibration process is required when the unit indicates it is calibrating but cannot, and that this is due to external magnetic forces throwing off the compass and/or other issues. Was there something in the manual that stated you must calibrate on change of zone? Perhaps the '01 and/or '02 compass was not self-calibrating.
norcalchuck,

Great questions. I was referring to my experience that my zone was initially set wrong, I had to manual reset it, and then I manually calibrated it by driving in two complete circles. I didn't let it self calibrate, as I was under the impression that when the zone is changed you have to do this. I may try changing the zone again, just to see if it calibrates :p .

Also, I would hope that once it's calibrated, it would automatically self calibrate as you drive from one zone to another.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: Nav & Compass

norcalchuck said:

Perhaps someone with the nav manual can comment on how the manual refers to compass zone settings, e.g, manual or auto set via the GPS.
There is no reference to this at all in the 03 Nav manual. There is a way to correct your vehicle position on the display if you note that your displayed position is not correct. This is usually due to outside interference with the GPS ( eg by tall buildings, tunnels, etc).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts