Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an occasional poster and mostly lurker, I've enjoyed the past couple of months on this forum, and it's been very helpful in choosing our new vehicle.

We took delivery on a 2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 on wednesday. So far, we love it. It replaces a '98 4Runner that was almost perfectly reliable, so the MDX (and the other much-more-distant choices) all had a huge dollop of brand loyalty to overcome.

The MDX is a great vehicle, but I think the torquey V8 in the new 'Runner is the best choice for towing the 4,000 lb trailer that was behind the '98 for 1/3 of its miles.

I've enjoyed you all. Thanks for the ride.

-Karl

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Good Luck,

I guess for your towing requirements the V8 made more sense.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Congradulations, Toyota makes damn good vehicles. I guess loyalty played a big part in my purchase.(don't know why) but the MDX had all I was looking for. I saw a new 4runner on the road and they look even better in person. Good luck

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Congratulations!

You got a nice machine!

But that doesn't mean you gotta go! Why don't you still hang around?:4:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Good luck and a wise choice ...

... considering your towing needs I think you did well. The new '03 4Runner is sweet.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Karl--Best of luck, but remember, even the best have their issues. My '96 4runner died at 106K miles, and I took care of that truck like I take care of my MDX. Hopefully, you're not one of the few unlucky ones...

And like mdxxxx says--hang around!

Rob:31:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Congratulations!

mdxxxx said:
But that doesn't mean you gotta go! Why don't you still hang around?:4:
I'll third that.

We have an interest in other SUV's so tell us more about the 4Runner after you have driven it for a few weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, what a great bunch - I choose The Dark Side and they still want me around. Yes, thanks, and it'll be my pleasure!

My initial impressions after two days and c. 200 miles: Incredibly silent with great bags of low end torque, nice steering, impeccable fit, finish and materials quality and a truly vast array of amenities that my '98 never dreamed of. Really, really crisp handling. OTOH, I think maybe it's gonna be a gas guzzler.

"--Best of luck, but remember, even the best have their issues"

I smiled at this. Today, I did a careful post-delivery inspection and found, besides the expected tire pressure and lug nut torque problems:

-The factory-supplied trailer hitch won't fit the factory-supplied hitch receiver (.05" too big). The part is on 'intergalactic back order', per my sales guy.

-The traction control defeat switch, carefully detailed in the owner's manual, is nowhere to be found in my vehicle. My sales guy says they're all like that, and implies the owner's manual reference probably pertains to the models sold only in Pango Pango.

-The roof rack crossbars, installed by the dealer, were not tightened down and three of the eight thumbwheels that hold them on are now MIA. My sales guy has ordered replacements.

-The fat little first aid kit was delivered stuffed into the magazine pouch on the back of the passenger's seat, which now is permanently deformed as a result and won't fully close. "Warranty problem", says my sales guy. I tell him not to bother.

However, the sway bar droplinks all look just fine and very robust (I checked this VERY carefully) ;)

I'll post back again later, when the break-in period's over and I've fully sorted out my impressions of the New Guy.

Regards,

-Karl

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
khaug said:
Wow, what a great bunch - I choose The Dark Side and they still want me around. Yes, thanks, and it'll be my pleasure!

...The part is on 'intergalactic back order', per my sales guy.

Of course we're great! What did you expect? LOL :D

Thanks for the report.

I love the term 'intergalactic back order'! :21:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Khaug:

___Can I add a me too as well? I wish you and your Toyota the best of luck. My 4 month old 03 Corolla has 16,000 trouble free miles (all but one GoodYear Integrity tire problem that is :() and I am hoping for at least another 250,000 trouble free miles from here on out. After watching the 03 4Runner commercials, I would make this vehicle my choice as well if I were a 4-wheel aficionado. The small segment of the Everest commercial showing the 4Runners wheels locking/unlocking while heading merrily along down a 30 – 40 degree rocky slope looked extremely impressive.

___Good Luck and enjoy.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Congratulations Karl!

I think you made a FANTASTIC CHOICE!!. I absolutely loved my 2001 SR5 (except that it was a bit antiquated and underpowered) and this one's better by LEAPS and BOUNDS!!!

.......the MDX, '03 4Runner Limited V8 and Lexus GX 470 were my only 3 final choices after eliminating others. Eventually, I eliminated the GX 470 as well (too expensive and did not offer that much more than the 4Runner Limited to justify the 10 grand difference, besides the performance (as well as fuel economy :eek: - 1mpg better hwy) of the 4Runner turned out to be better than the GX :confused: ......and finally it came down to just the MDX and 4Runner (just like yourself)

However, in the end the MDX won my final choice over the 4Runner by a razor thin margin and the main factor contributing to this was the UNBELIEVABLY, UNIMAGINABLY GOOD Acura Navigation System.......2 other factors that contributed to a lesser extent were the MDX's front seat comfort and excellent fuel economy. However, there was one more thing that made me really frustrated with Toyota - they could not find the exact 4Runner model I would've liked: 4x4 Limited with JBL/Navigation, Air Suspension, Moonroof and Side Curtains - all they have here in Southern California was 2WD (yeah right :mad: )

So, in the end I just told myself this was a sign from above to just go with the MDX ;) :D

Anyways, great choice :29: and I'm really interested to know what kind of fuel mileage you get! and keep posting!!

P.S. Thai and Gatorgreg have started a really nice site dedicated to the 4 Runner enthusiasts ( www.toyota-4runner.org) very much along the lines of this one .......See you there!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
khaug ... Enjoy the new vehicle ... Neighbor just got one and it is very VERY nice ... to call the 8 torquey is a bit of an understatement ... come back and visit once in a while

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Khaug.....very nice choice :4: :2: I have always loved the 4 runners styling & would have considered buying one, but they are a little harder to climb in & out of for the wife - so that's why we have the RX & MDX. Both offer car-like ease of entry - with no need for side steps to get in & out.

Like all the others have said - glad you are here & hang around!!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
khaug,

Congratulations on your new 4runner. It looks to be an excellent truck. I especially like its Torsen-based 4WD system.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
khaug,

Congrats. . . in fact, I was over at Toyota dealership yesterday with a client who had just filed a lemon law (Sienna mini-van) and we were doing the exchage.

As for Toyota, I must commend them on their lemon law process. Very prompt, non-confrontational and all around professional. (I guess that's what a potential attorneys' fees of $10K can make them change their tune).

Anyway, I saw the 03 4runner and was quite impressed. It looks a little flatter, sorta like the Highlander, but what scared me was the sticker of $40K. I sure hope they bargain on that price.

Well, what was really funny, was that when I parked my X next to the 4 runners and Siennas, most of the customers were looking at my X. . . what an ego boost (4 all of us, I"m sure!). . .

Good luck with the 4 runner!

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
laborlitigator said:
...Well, what was really funny, was that when I parked my X next to the 4 runners and Siennas, most of the customers were looking at my X. . . what an ego boost (4 all of us, I"m sure!). . .
LOL, I know what you mean laborlitigator,

I received the same attention at a Mercedes Benz dealership. Imagine that!:D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Khaug...you have a 4wd model, right?

It does NOT have a TRAC OFF switch...this ONLY applies to 2wd models!!

Your traction control system is ALWAYS on...you can read more about it on my website (you know where to find it).

On 4wd models, you can ONLY turn off VSC by locking the center differential...i assume there is a switch for that.

Your salesman, like 99.99% of them, are not well-versed in the 4Runner.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Litigator: Yes I got a deal - $2200 off MSRP, which was $41,040, AND a great trade-in offer on our '98 (which still looks like new). I think a comparably equipped "X" would have been a little higher, as the closest dealer is asking MSRP and selling more than he can get! We got everything but nav (which isn't even available here in Michigan).

I'm not greatly in love with the kinda Buck Rogers styling of the '03 'Runners and really like the appearance of the MDX better. But, hey, handsome is as handsome does, and that 320 lb/ft of low speed torque is intoxicating!

Thai, thanks once more for your education. I talked to my salesman today and passed it on to him.

-Karl

1 - 19 of 19 Posts