Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Great board and very helpful information!!

Anyone have any buying tips for dealing with Acura Dealers? My experience has been mostly domestic, where one simply finds the "fleet manager", offers him/her invoice pricing, and takes the shiney new beast to the house. I've been quite successful at this, even in new model introduction years (got a '98 fully loaded Durango for invoice in Dec '97 when Dealers were extracting $2k over MSRP when they first hit the lots).

Any insight into invoice pricing/dealer holdback? I know for example, that Dodge gives the dealership 3% of the selling price back as "holdback", so invoice price deals are not out of the question since the dealer still "profits" $900 or so.

Wife has her heart set on a MDX, and I'd kinda like to see myself behind the wheel of a TL type S. Every penny counts if we're going to pull this off!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I would say getting anywhere close to invoice.....

..............is pretty much "off limits" for the MDX (at least for some time to come). However with market conditions currently changing for the better (for the consumer) due to a variety of factors including increased supply, severe competition in this segment and the overall lackluster economy, discounts are starting to be the norm even for the "mighty" ;) MDX

Depending on whether or not you're willing to take "one off the lot" as well as your model choice, you can possibly expect discounts from as much as $1000 off MSRP to MSRP with a few freebies thrown in. Navigation models and especially the Navigation with DVD models (model 189) - smallest allocation supposedly.....will be the hardest to get a discount on.........The best I could do on my Sagebrush model 189 here in the Southern California area was MSRP with tow package at cost and wheel locks for free..........A dealer in San Diego was willing to give me more accessories free (cargo cover, cargo tray etc. - about a $500 value), but he didn't have the color choice I wanted (and considering I'm pretty flexible on color too - Even though Sagebrush was my first choice, I would've taken a Midnight Blue or Sandstone, but he only had a Redrock pearl or White :eek: available for Dec delivery .......No thanks! - no offence to owner's of white, just never liked white vehicles).......In addition to this I am limited by time constraints as well - have to give back my friend's Jeep Wrangler, which she loaned me, by end December...........I guess if I had the luxury to wait I could've pulled off at least $500 or more off MSRP + freebies, even on the model 189 :(

P.S. I've heard people in some parts of the country getting as much as $1,800 off the MSRP, but discounts like this are probably limited to vehicles that are on the dealer's lot (color and model choice limited, and mostly for NON-NAV and NON-NAV/DVD models)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
You Should Get A Better Deal Than 01/02, But Not By Much.

Past history has been (02/01) MSRP with no forced options being considered a good deal. Many dealers were attempting to sell at MSRP+ and/or forcing buyers to buy overpriced options. I would guess that posters on this board did better than the general public but MSRP has been considered a good deal here. Although a few posters indicated they negotiated a purchase under MSRP that has been rare or just before the year model was released.

That has been the history. The 2003 may not be the same. It appears that dealers are becoming more willing to deal on the new model. Factors in your favor to attempt to get a better price:

Release of Pilot

Better Availability. Now a few dealers have 2003 on their lots.

Newness of model is wearing out because it is now the third year.

Increased completion. XC90, GX470 to name a few.

Increased pressure from Honda Headquarters to be more competitive on pricing.

Bottom line is----You should be able to get a better price for the excellent/improved 2003 MDX but I think by only a little. Probably no way to even get close to invoice but what the heck, go for it, and let us know how you do

Good Luck on your MDX search.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Nice combination!

NorthTX_WannaX said:
Wife has her heart set on a MDX, and I'd kinda like to see myself behind the wheel of a TL type S.
Good luck; the combination of vehicles rocks:1:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can hightly recommend Mac Chruchill Acura. They have been very good to deal with. See what they can do for you!!;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
NorthTX_WannaX said:
Hi all! Great board and very helpful information!!

Anyone have any buying tips for dealing with Acura Dealers? My experience has been mostly domestic, where one simply finds the "fleet manager", offers him/her invoice pricing, and takes the shiney new beast to the house. I've been quite successful at this, even in new model introduction years (got a '98 fully loaded Durango for invoice in Dec '97 when Dealers were extracting $2k over MSRP when they first hit the lots).

Any insight into invoice pricing/dealer holdback? I know for example, that Dodge gives the dealership 3% of the selling price back as "holdback", so invoice price deals are not out of the question since the dealer still "profits" $900 or so.

Wife has her heart set on a MDX, and I'd kinda like to see myself behind the wheel of a TL type S. Every penny counts if we're going to pull this off!

Thanks in advance!
I agree with all of the previous posts. In addition,
I think you have the right Idea to start with going to the fleet manager. My suggestion is.
1)Go to a volume dealer with units on the lot and invoice pricing in hand. Deal with Fleet/internet manager only. Better yet, do all research online.
2)Be willing to take what they have on the lot, DI options and all.
3)Do your research before hand by looking at this sites "dealer ratings" and research the dealers you are going to.

What is going to make a big difference is:
1) what part of the country you live in.
2) How much dealer inventory you have near you
3) what you want.

Here in No. CA it is a tight market. I got $45 off MSRP and feel pretty good considering I have gotten close to Invoice on all my other new vehicles

Also, According to Edmonds.com there is a 2% dealer holdback.
Best of luck getting a deal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not invoice, but have seen discounts....

here in Austin. Still token amounts, like max $1000 with some accessories dealt on (cost or discounted). It helps that you are looking at two cars. Price is much more negotiable on the TL-S where our inventory is greater. However, we have a couple of MDXs on the lot and the combination buying of the two could definately work in your favor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks For All the Info!

We're going to go for some test drives next week :2::2: We'll let you know how it comes out. May wait till after the first of the year to jump in until inventory builds up a little and the deals can be had more readily.

Looking forward to learning and participating here! I was one of the founding members of the national Durango Owners Club, and served as President there for 2 years. From what I've observed, I can tell you without a doubt that you guys have a world-class organization and some very dedicated leadership here!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good luck on your search! I don't know about the other dealers in TX (it looks like you may be near Dallas?), but we actually have a few 03 mdx's on the ground right now. one thing you might run into is that other dealers, like us, may have stock right now, but not in Dec/Jan because the production stops for 1/2 of december for Christmas vacation. Also, most of the vehicles we will be receiving in December are already sold, as are some of the ones on order for Jan (just people who wanted a specific color and were willing to wait). If you are flexible on color or model, now might be the best time to negotiate because it seems like a lot of dealers have their incoming units sold, just not the ones on the ground (NAV units are all sold that we have on order because they were special ordered for the last move).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just brought home a 2003 for my wife, I've been driving 1999 TL for just over 4 years. I did drool a bit over the Type S on the showroom floor.

If you know what you want, drop me a PM and I'll share buying tips in the Metroplex. Both of my purchases were at MSRP in extremely tight markets - I learned a little and saved a lot.

Cheers! :7:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Experience...

My dealer (Crown Acura in Greensboro, NC) offered $800 off MSRP but only 10% off options. He also threw in a cargo tray.

I was dealing with a new salesman so the manager was participating as well. The manager was the one who offered the discount.

I was interested in moving fast on a vehicle, so I was test driving various vehicles the same day. I did not conceal from them that I only had an hour or so to check out the MDX as I had to get to the Lexus dealership to test drive the LX470 before it closed for the night. That may or may not have had some influence on the offer of a discount.

After driving the lexus I was honestly more pleased with the MDX.

The car I wanted was not on the lot but the exact vehicle I wanted had already been allocated to the dealer.

MDX-Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts