Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... So i have been searching for a used MDX and I see that the prices are pretty high for this car!

I found a 2007 with 81K miles. The car has all the tech and entertainment package. He wants 10K for it and has not done the timing belt replaced yet...

Do you guys think it's an OK deal for this year and model?

What should I be looking for when buying a used one?

Thank you for your help and advise!!!

Steven

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I found a 2007 with 81K miles. The car has all the tech and entertainment package. He wants 10K for it and has not done the timing belt replaced yet...
Stay away from a 13 year old car with just 81 miles. 6K annual mileage? I don't think so. And imagine how the car has been taken care of if even TB was not replaced in 13 years.

Look for a 2007-2009 Tech model under 150K miles with TB and other on-going service done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thank you. Yes, i just checked with him. It is actually an 08 tech model.

The car is for his wife and she works very close from home. Hence the low mileage.

He also said that he brought it to the car shop to check on the TB and they said it should be ok for another 10k mile or so...

So I should just stay away from it?

·
Registered
710 Posts
JMO, but if the car shows all the signs of being babied otherwise the low annual miles and lack of TB change would not scare me, though I would get it done right away rather than wait. 6K a year is enough to keep the problems that occur with too much sitting around at bay. I'd say negotiate a price that you are happy with if everything else is ok. Each market is different, but near me a 125-150K well cared for 2008 would bring $7-8K if it was nice and clean. It's pretty much a coin flip on finding one with the TB done as though that get it done typically aren't selling with under 150K unless the car has developed other issues and then you don't want that one anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.. that's my plan... Im also looking at some 125-150K as well and they are pretty good price... so these cars are pretty reliable with these high mileage if it's maintained properly?

·
Registered
710 Posts
They have a few trouble spots. The radiator has a tendency to have an internal failure that causes the transmission fluid and coolant to mix and if not caught fairly early will ruin the transmission. Some replace it before the failure and others simply route the transmission lines directly to the external cooler and cap off the lines going into the radiator. The other main trouble spot is the Hands Free Link (bluetooth) module developing an internal short that then drains the battery. The module can be easily unplugged if you don't care if it works, you can replace it which is expensive, disassemble and bake the circuit board (I've done mine and it has worked for more than a year), or go aftermarket for bluetooth connectivity. This era has great bones though and is a 300K platform with even a half-hearted attempt at maintenance. If buying over 100K I would be looking for at least 1 transmission fluid change and preferably 2-3 as well as a couple of fluid changes on the transfer case and rear diff. If those have been totally ignored I would pass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same 08 mdx and still have it till today , I am however looking to get a newer also . As far as the 08 goes I’ve had no major issues aside from wear and tear , And that’s the reason I’m looking into getting another one .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 07 tech/Entertainment and tonight I just crossed the 200k mark. We bought it at ~77k and have only had to do regular maintenance. I also replaced the EGR and cleaned out the exhaust manifold and EGR pipe at about 180k. Other than that she runs like a champ.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Stay away from a 13 year old car with just 81 miles. 6K annual mileage? I don't think so. And imagine how the car has been taken care of if even TB was not replaced in 13 years.

Look for a 2007-2009 Tech model under 150K miles with TB and other on-going service done.
What's wrong with having low mileage? My 05 Mustang has 43k on it and it was maintained by me since I bought it in 2011 with 16k. Car is mint, just don't drive it often, snow, rain etc., that's what the MDX is for. Low miles is a good thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd pick it up in a hear
Hi guys... So i have been searching for a used MDX and I see that the prices are pretty high for this car!

Do you guys think it's an OK deal for this year and model?

Thank you for your help and advise!!!

I think that is a great deal. I paid 4k for a 2005 with 170k on it. Its was in good shape but not perfect and certainly not low miles. Seems to me the 2007's and up are nicer looking and probably better equipped. That's the body style I was looking for but it was out of my price range at the time. (Just had a Baby) My father has a 2010 ZDX his has the oil consumption issue, I have no Idea what other years are affected by that, but if its a year that has that problem be sure the service to "rebuild" the engine was done. I know it affect MDX's of certain years as well. He is currently waiting for the dealer to get the parts to have his done.
Steven
I think that is a great deal. I paid 4k for a 2005 with 170k on it. Its was in good shape but not perfect and certainly not low miles. Seems to me the 2007's and up are nicer looking and probably better equipped. That's the body style I was looking for but it was out of my price range at the time. (Just had a Baby) My father has a 2010 ZDX his has the oil consumption issue, I have no Idea what other years are affected by that, but if its a year that has that problem be sure the service to "rebuild" the engine was done. I know it affect MDX's of certain years as well. He is currently waiting for the dealer to get the parts to have his done.
Steven

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What's wrong with having low mileage?
I haven't said there was anything wrong with it. It is just statistically extremely unlikely on a general purpose everyday driver vehicle, that's all. Average annual mileage in US is 13.5K miles, meaning in 13 years an average car should accumulate somewhere aroung 170K miles on odometer. It is fairly simple to update the odometer these days on Hondas and the like. It only costs around $200 to do that. So in case of a low mileage old car unless you car corroborate the mileage with the service receipts during the entire car's life where mileage is consistent, just stay away from it.

My 05 Mustang has 43k on it and it was maintained by me since I bought it in 2011 with 16k.
There are, of course, exceptions. Mostly due to not being a daily driver. It's just almost impossible for an average american to drive 2900 miles annually in a daily driver on average even when it comes to work and groceries.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't said there was anything wrong with it. It is just statistically extremely unlikely on a general purpose everyday driver vehicle, that's all. Average annual mileage in US is 13.5K miles, meaning in 13 years an average car should accumulate somewhere aroung 170K miles on odometer. It is fairly simple to update the odometer these days on Hondas and the like. It only costs around $200 to do that. So in case of a low mileage old car unless you car corroborate the mileage with the service receipts during the entire car's life where mileage is consistent, just stay away from it.

There are, of course, exceptions. Mostly due to not being a daily driver. It's just almost impossible for an average american to drive 2900 miles annually in a daily driver on average even when it comes to work and groceries.
Gotcha

·
Registered
710 Posts

I completely agree with collaborating low miles with service records, CarFax, etc., before just taking someone's word for it. The nature of "luxury" vehicles is that a fair percentage of them get purchased by people wealthy enough to either have a stable of cars to choose from or retired who drive far less than the US annual average, so it's not that uncommon to find very low mileage examples. My MIL has a 2009 Accord EX-L with 19K miles on it. She drove it 700 miles in 2019, typically gets driven 2X a week and is garaged the rest of the time. Looks brand new,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts