Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'll be buying a new MDX AWD this week. Last minute options offered are below. Would you please comment on whether you feel they are valuable or a dealer add on just to make extra $ so not worth getting?

1. 3M plastic film applied to protect paint against rocks, etc... on hood, door edges, hatch bumper, backs of side mirrors. $600
2. Windshield "Crystal Fusion" on windshield to prevent micro divits on glass from sand, rain and cracks/chips. $400
3. "Auto Butler" wax sealant that's equivalent to a hand wax. $70/application times 10: $700.
4. Numerous extended warranties, some Honda/Acura, some 3rd party. either 7 or 8 year, 100,000 miles or 125,000 miles. From $2500 to $3500.

Any input on these would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I don't know if you already purchased or what year/model of MDX you are ready to purchase.

I did 3M plastic film on all three of my vehicles (also did headlights/fogs). The film on the headlights have done a great job preventing UV hazing. Living in the southwest and putting 15,000-20,000 miles per year, 3M clear bra has done an excellent job protecting my front end and side mirrors from road rash debris like sand, small objects, rock strikes, tumble weeds, occasionally bumps/scrapes, etc... 3M might be overkill if you don't do a lot of hwy traveling or put some mileage on the MDX each year.

Crystal Fusion was brought up on this (or another) forum. The website give almost zero information about the product other than testimonials on how great it is. I've been fine for 30 years without it, I can wait a few more until more info is available.

The paint on all three of my Acura's seems to hold up pretty good with regular washing 1-2 times a month and a good wax once a year (garage kept when at home). $70 would be in the ball park for a good wax/sealant once a year. You might have to wax/seal more if you get a harsh winters with road salts. I only get sand on the roads and 2-4 snow days of heavy snow in the southwest (another reason for the 3M clearbra).

I did a 5yr/120,000 mile Acura Care warranty from a dealership in AZ for $2400:
Tim Poliniak, Acura of Peoria, Acura Parts | OEM Acura Parts | Factory Acura Parts, 1-866-347-8355. Since it was an internet purchase, I didn't have to pay local NM sales tax of about $200-$300.

I have the Adv model and the front magnetic struts already had to be replaced at 35,000 miles (covered by basic 4/50,000 warranty). Planning on keeping my MDX up to 150,000 miles. I would at-least break even if the magnetic shock and/or struts go out again. You may not get the full value of an Acura Care warranty on the base or tech model. I've heard of a of folks complaining about 3rd party warranties rejecting repairs that would have been covered under Acura Care. Acura Care is only good at Acura dealership, transferable to the next owner, can cash it out if you want; but, has to be purchased anytime (local or internet) before the 4/50,000 basic warranty expires. The only restriction I know about is you must purchase Acura Care in FL if you are from that state.

·
Registered
868 Posts
As for extended warranty, I would only go with AcuraCare. You can wait until just before base warranty runs out to buy, or, like I did, negotiate the warranty price last and roll it into the financing. I got the 8 yr/120k, no deductible warranty. Have used it once already.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sorry I'm a little late picking up this thread.

The first week I had my MDX last summer I had a hard clear coat applied. I had Opti-Coat Pro applied by a professional detailer (costs range from $700-1000 depending on shop). This should preempt any need for waxing for the next 5 years. My car is kept outside and the coating protects the paint from tree sap and bird poop until I can clean up. It does change the appearance by making it look glassy and a little less metallic. It is very easy to clean with soapy water. I'm very pleased with it.

Late in the summer I had a clear bra applied on the front, headlights, side mirrors, and the top of the rear bumper to protect against dings and scratches. Most of my driving is on the highway over the Cascades so it is valuable to protect against the gravel used on the snow. I don't know whose brand it is - there are several good sources. I had it professionally applied along with window tint upgrade (to nearly the legal limit on the front side windows, and even darker further back).

Extended warranties are generally considered bad bargains financially. If the MDX starts having some major failures, like the engine or transmission, then it might make some sense. Otherwise not. At least wait until near the end of the standard warranty to decide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry I'm a little late picking up this thread.

The first week I had my MDX last summer I had a hard clear coat applied. I had Opti-Coat Pro applied by a professional detailer (costs range from $700-1000 depending on shop). This should preempt any need for waxing for the next 5 years. My car is kept outside and the coating protects the paint from tree sap and bird poop until I can clean up. It does change the appearance by making it look glassy and a little less metallic. It is very easy to clean with soapy water. I'm very pleased with it.

Late in the summer I had a clear bra applied on the front, headlights, side mirrors, and the top of the rear bumper to protect against dings and scratches. Most of my driving is on the highway over the Cascades so it is valuable to protect against the gravel used on the snow. I don't know whose brand it is - there are several good sources. I had it professionally applied along with window tint upgrade (to nearly the legal limit on the front side windows, and even darker further back).

Extended warranties are generally considered bad bargains financially. If the MDX starts having some major failures, like the engine or transmission, then it might make some sense. Otherwise not. At least wait until near the end of the standard warranty to decide.
Thanks for the reply! Within a few days of picking up my new car, I had similar protection applied. I opted for CQuartz Finest (2 year warranty but apparently protection lasts longer than that). I also applied a clear bra to the areas you mentioned. No tint (yet).

The finish looks great, although I have noticed an accumulation of "dirt" (for lack of a better word) at the bottom of panels. I figure this is run-off from dirt that has accumulated across the entire car and runs downward with the mild precipitation we've had in Toronto this past week. I haven't cleaned or rinsed the car yet, so I'm wondering if this is typical of the protection between washes or a one-time only thing?

·
Registered
542 Posts
My guess is that water ran down the side, picking up dirt, but wasn't enough to form droplets and fall off. That would leave dirt where the drips stopped. No problem. The real test is how the car washes and rinses - it should be easy and the water should bead.

If you are living in a hot sunny place you may want to bring at least the front side windows tint up to the legal limit - it makes a real difference for comfort when the sun shines in on you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts