Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

After weeks of searching and hours of craigslisting and searching all over the place I've sort of narrowed it down to 2 potential MDX purchases. Looking for your advice on a) which one to go with and why, and b) what to look for in each of the following prior to purchase. Both have decent tires, are in decent shape, and have had the timing belt replaced within the past 30,000 miles. I'd post ad links, but am not allowed to because this is my first post.

Car 1: 2005 MDX w/122,000 miles

Car 2: 2008 MDX w/Tech package w/122,000 miles

I am leaning towards the 05 because of the simpler tech and savings of $5k for our first adventure into the realm of 3-row vehicles. Any major reliability concerns between the two? Both have been maintained on schedule.

Secondary question... Is it possible to add bluetooth audio capability to the 2005? And seems like bluetooth issues on the 2nd gen are common as are maybe some other issues as a result of the tech package?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've now read about 5 solid 1G vs 2G threads that I found in this forum. Tons of great info!

Still completely torn between the two because of the price difference.

·
Registered
962 Posts
With an older and cheaper vs. newer and more expensive decision, it's basically a coin toss if all other things are equal. Insist on a complete road test at high and low speeds in any case.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
As a guy who was considering either 2006 or 2008 MDX with 77K miles back in 2011, I believe I can weigh in.

I went with 2008 because it's newer, it has better tech, better safety rating, better cabin, it's more powerful and it looks awesome (totally not outdated to this day).

I wouldn't say the upkeep for the first gen would be much different from the second one, because the second one is basically an improved first gen.

Since you are looking at the tech package, you will avoid the adaptive damper issue. My experience shows that an average person (me) is able to do the majority of maintenance and repairs on his/her own, so unless there is something fundamentally broken in your 2008, you should be good.

Regardless of which one you choose, at this mileage I would definitely recommend paying your mechanic for a full inspection.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I'm going with the 05. Just flawless maintenance records (including shocks and struts at 65k) and the major timing belt service ($3200!) as well as nice matching tires all around. Just too good of a deal for $5,000 and I can even continue taking it to the same mechanic that has been servicing it for years. I'm sure we'll go for a 2nd gen eventually! The seller replaced this one with a 3rd gen.

It does have the usual broken vents, clouded headlights, and a few other small issues, but seems there are solutions out there for most of them and they're all cosemetic. Also excited about the prospect of dropping in an Android auto head unit!

Any other must haves for a new 1st Gen??

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd say you made the right call. The second gen scared me off with common electrical gremlins and horrific suspension issues.

Having said that...on the '05:

1. Replace the radiator, now. A failure will kill the transmission.
2. Replace the transmission fluid with Honda DW-1 Synthetic.
3. Replace the two transmission 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches.
4. Adjust the valves, replace the EGR valve & PCV valve.

If you see that these things are done promptly, I predict you will be a happy owner. If you do not do these things, there is an increasing likelihood you will not be so happy.

-TomcatSTL
'03 MDX in Sage
220,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts