Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The +105,000 miles service is about due and that might be one of the reasons why the MDX was traded in at that mileage. It can cost around $1500 to do the timing belt, valve adjustment, water pump, antifreeze, serpentine belt+kit, spark plugs, and oil change. Might be other services due like rotation/balance, engine air/cabin filter, 6AT fluid, transfer case, power steering fluid, brake fluid, brakes, or rear diff.

Getting a the service history could save or cost you some money down the road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
15k is top dollar for the Mdx. I would not even consider it unless the big 100k service was completed. I bought my 08 Mdx for 11,000 with the service completed and all paperwork provided. Fyi, each vehicle is different and mine had over 3,000 worth of work done at the service.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The +105,000 miles service is about due and that might be one of the reasons why the MDX was traded in at that mileage. It can cost around $1500 to do the timing belt, valve adjustment, water pump, antifreeze, serpentine belt+kit, spark plugs, and oil change. Might be other services due like rotation/balance, engine air/cabin filter, 6AT fluid, transfer case, power steering fluid, brake fluid, brakes, or rear diff.

Getting a the service history could save or cost you some money down the road.
Yes you're abosolutley correct about trading it in before the major service. Looking at the Carfax report, at 81xxx miles, the car was "recommended maintenance performed". We don't know what that means. Knowing it's at the stealership, how much would you pay? I feel like this car is worthno$13.5. My budget is 13-15.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$15,200 is the average condition retail price.
The maximum trade in value is $13,200.
Too many "burning oil" issues, with the MDX 2010 - 2013 years.
Pass on those years.
I feel like buying a 08-09 is a little old. People have mixed feelings about the "burning oil" issues. It's more miss than hit but the engine won't implode, right? I'd do $13.2 out the door but it's at the stealership.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
15k is top dollar for the Mdx. I would not even consider it unless the big 100k service was completed. I bought my 08 Mdx for 11,000 with the service completed and all paperwork provided. Fyi, each vehicle is different and mine had over 3,000 worth of work done at the service.
I supposed you got lucky? Oh man, so hard to find a clean one with decent mileage and service history. $12-$13k with 130k for a 08-09 is what I see around here.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My 11 MDX burns a little less than 1 quart of Mobil 1 syn oil between its 7500-8500 oil change intervals (+117,000 miles). I usually only have to add about 1/2 quart midway and that is enough oil until the normal M.I.D. service light comes on at 15%.

One thing I really like about the +10 MDX tech is the phone/stereo improvements over the 07-09 MDXs. I don't like the having to use/memorize the voice commands in my 06 TSX or 08 RDX to do phone features. I can do every phone feature with button pushes (pair/sync, switch phones, call, answer, upload phone book, speed dial, etc...). You also have bluetooth audio streaming, USB connection for your smartphone or USB music stick, XM, burn CDs onto internal 40GB hardrive, and AUX connection. The +10 also has a larger Navi screen with deeper colors. The Navi also has updates like a faster start up because of 40GB harddrive, XM weather/traffic option, enter complete addresses by phone numbers only (my fav way to do it), narrow down cities by zip first for faster input (2nd fav way), and you have a larger screen to other functions like phone or stereo.

I travel a lot and there are times when I have limited cell coverage or zero bars. It is nice to have all that entertainment tech available and satellite based maps. I still have my smartphone as back-up when the MDX navi map is outdated or use my smartphone to quickly search addresses to input into the MDX navi. Having a smartphone and the +10 tech package is the sweet spot if you are a little bit of a tech head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 11 MDX burns a little less than 1 quart of Mobil 1 syn oil between its 7500-8500 oil change intervals (+117,000 miles). I usually only have to add about 1/2 quart midway and that is enough oil until the normal M.I.D. service light comes on at 15%.

One thing I really like about the +10 MDX tech is the phone/stereo improvements over the 07-09 MDXs. I don't like the having to use/memorize the voice commands in my 06 TSX or 08 RDX to do phone features. I can do every phone feature with button pushes (pair/sync, switch phones, call, answer, upload phone book, speed dial, etc...). You also have bluetooth audio streaming, USB connection for your smartphone or USB music stick, XM, burn CDs onto internal 40GB hardrive, and AUX connection. The +10 also has a larger Navi screen with deeper colors. The Navi also has updates like a faster start up because of 40GB harddrive, XM weather/traffic option, enter complete addresses by phone numbers only (my fav way to do it), narrow down cities by zip first for faster input (2nd fav way), and you have a larger screen to other functions like phone or stereo.

I travel a lot and there are times when I have limited cell coverage or zero bars. It is nice to have all that entertainment tech available and satellite based maps. I still have my smartphone as back-up when the MDX navi map is outdated or use my smartphone to quickly search addresses to input into the MDX navi. Having a smartphone and the +10 tech package is the sweet spot if you are a little bit of a tech head.
Yes I'm only looking at 10-13 models. I feel anything under 10 is old. I test drove a 10' w/tech, 128k the other day. It drives fine but the 1st gear was slipping. I hit the gas, as the rpm reaches 3k it drops to 2.7k. the cars slows down for a second or two then picks up speed. Idk if it's the gear or just needed a transmission flush.

Burning half a quart to a quart of oil at 15% isn't bad nor good but it's time to do an oil change. There are plenty of cars out there that burns oil that we're not aware of. Like early productions of VQ35.

Back to the car. $15 is a bit much w/o the 105k service not incouding tax and fees. So should I just pass? If the stealership can do 13.5 out the door then I'm all over it. But I'm highly doubtful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I asked for a service record but they wouldn't give it to me due to privacy. All he said was the car is inspected and it's clean blah blah blah and come in.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I purchased my 11 MDX used at a Honda dealership and used carfax to check out a lot of vehicles during that time. My MDX was a lease return and all services were listed on the carfax report. Not sure why privacy would be an issue with the previous owner if the same info is available on Carfax (assuming the MDX was serviced at a dealership). I'm thinking they don't know/don't care and want to make a sell.

There should be a lot of +10 MDXs tech versions out there. Acura made zero changes from 10 to 13 models other than greystone interior available for the 12/13 models. That price seems a little steep since you know it will need the 105K service and you don't know what other issue you will find without the service records.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I purchased my 11 MDX used at a Honda dealership and used carfax to check out a lot of vehicles during that time. My MDX was a lease return and all services were listed on the carfax report. Not sure why privacy would be an issue with the previous owner if the same info is available on Carfax (assuming the MDX was serviced at a dealership). I'm thinking they don't know/don't care and want to make a sell.

There should be a lot of +10 MDXs tech versions out there. Acura made zero changes from 10 to 13 models other than greystone interior available for the 12/13 models. That price seems a little steep since you know it will need the 105K service and you don't know what other issue you will find without the service records.
Yes he want me to go in but I'm not going to at $15k. Going by the carfax and 1 owner, it looks to be good. 30/60k recommended maintenance was done. So I assumed transmission and rear differential are serviced? 4 tires at 40k.Transmission checked at 55k. Rear brakes done at 62k. At 72k, brake, coolant and power steering fluids were changed. Frontkes were changed recently 8/16/18. So yeah it needs some major maintenance to be done. Do you think they'll take $13.5? Lol. I would make the offer through email.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If the salesman had the TB documentation, he'd be waiving it under your nose.
The Carfax did not specify timing belt service, so it was not done at the 7 year recommended interval.

I don't know where you are, but on CarGurus, in Beleville, iL there is a private seller, 2nd owner, 82,000 miles, 2007 mdx tech, for $12,000.
On that car the retail is $13,725 and the clean trade in max is $10,345. So the seller is right in the middle, on the asking price.

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I bought my '09 at a local Dealer, they were able to pull the service records with no previous owners info on it. (all that info was still programmed into the NAVI) :surprise:

Just all the dates and work done on the MDX.

Can't see why they cannot do this type of search for you.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yes I'm only looking at 10-13 models. I feel anything under 10 is old. I test drove a 10' w/tech, 128k the other day. It drives fine but the 1st gear was slipping. I hit the gas, as the rpm reaches 3k it drops to 2.7k. the cars slows down for a second or two then picks up speed. Idk if it's the gear or just needed a transmission flush.

My '12 feels like a dinosaur on the tech front as it is...can't imagine going to the earlier models unless the budget just was too tight. I've had no oil use now at 120k miles. No problems whatsoever actually...not even a rattle or squeak. It's a dinosaur but I can't justify getting rid of it just yet.

The trans shifting thing could be normal depending upon how it's been driven by a prior owner. These are very lazy shifting transmissions and they learn your driving style. If you don't drive aggressive all the time (or are on the highway a ton like we are) it will up-shift as quick as possible and fight you to downshift unless you're heavy on the throttle. The way it rushes through 1st and 2nd can definitely make it feel like it's slipping at lower speeds. The only way to really judge the performance of the trans is to use a very heavy foot or the s-mode and paddle shift it. I've had my transmission reset by the dealer and it's like a different vehicle for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the salesman had the TB documentation, he'd be waiving it under your nose.
The Carfax did not specify timing belt service, so it was not done at the 7 year recommended interval.

I don't know where you are, but on CarGurus, in Beleville, iL there is a private seller, 2nd owner, 82,000 miles, 2007 mdx tech, for $12,000.
On that car the retail is $13,725 and the clean trade in max is $10,345. So the seller is right in the middle, on the asking price.
Thanks but I'm nowhere close. Well the dealer is "no hassle, haggle". He said I tried to de-value the car.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/2010-mdx-loaded-with-extras/6680851841.html What about this one? Carfax says two ownership but he listed as one and smog was done in February. Smog is only good for 90 days.

I don't see a timing belt listed as a maintenance item. If not, there's a deduct right off the tip.

Hitch and a camper in the driveway is a deduct for me. It's just a little camper and doesn't look like something you'd tow very far but it leaves questions. Probably not a big deal but it's just one more unknown for me that could impact the long-term life of the engine/trans.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My 2011 has been great, no issues....timing belt needs to be addressed on this unit...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/2010-mdx-loaded-with-extras/6680851841.html What about this one? Carfax says two ownership but he listed as one and smog was done in February. Smog is only good for 90 days.

I don't see a timing belt listed as a maintenance item. If not, there's a deduct right off the tip.

Hitch and a camper in the driveway is a deduct for me. It's just a little camper and doesn't look like something you'd tow very far but it leaves questions. Probably not a big deal but it's just one more unknown for me that could impact the long-term life of the engine/trans.
Like I've mentioned before, the seller didn't know he had to smog the car. ? He said he'll get it done this week. Good that you brought up the camper and hitch. I didn't think of it at all. It's probably a no biggie. As far as pricing, I'll make him an offer if it gets to that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts