Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Infiniti/Audi/Porsche dealer around my way has a 01 MDX/Touring/Nav for sale 38k Miles (lease turn in) ... I called them today and they are asking $34k+ ... The sales lady told me that this was the asking price and she can get me a better deal because the Manager wants to get the car sold ... She couldnt give me their best price @ that time because she said the Manager was @ an auction ... so she will call me back with a price ...

Ok, with that said i need some help yall ...

1st - i know there were some issues with the 01 MDX ... Can someone help me out ... and point out a few things i may want to look out for on a test drive and inspecting the vehicle...

2nd - i know this is my decision but ... what would be a reasonable price for a 01 MDX ... according to acura.com a 03 with the same options is going for 41k ... so i am saving about 6k ... but cant forget the new features of the 03, so its not like we are comparing the same exact vehicle ....

3rd - did we ever find out if the early model Navigation System can be upgraded with the same coverage and abilities as the 03 Navigation system ...? voice recognition ...?

thanks any help would be appreciated ...

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a fellow here in Coral Springs, FL (near Ft. lauderdale) that has an 01 Touring with 34k miles for $29k. Gold and in mint condition. Look him up in AutoTrader.com and get the phone no. as I lost it. I decided for the new one due to only a $10k differential. I just got the lower trim, air deflector, moonroof visor, bodyside moldings, chrome side steps and the wood package installed . It looks awesome, especially the side steps with the chrome and the Redrock color. Regards:p

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sixthacura said:
There is a fellow here in Coral Springs, FL (near Ft. lauderdale) that has an 01 Touring with 34k miles for $29k. Gold and in mint condition. Look him up in AutoTrader.com and get the phone no. as I lost it. I decided for the new one due to only a $10k differential. I just got the lower trim, air deflector, moonroof visor, bodyside moldings, chrome side steps and the wood package installed . It looks awesome, especially the side steps with the chrome and the Redrock color. Regards:p
sixthacura

thanks for the reply ... but i live in Delaware ... 29k isnt a good enough to deal with the hassle of buying a car that far away ... if it was in delaware i would be checking it out ...

I may end up doing the same as you did ... Due to these price difference arent much different from a 03 ... especially once you include the extra horse, suspension updates and Nav upgrades ...

Very very very very long hard deep decision ...

·
Registered
285 Posts
the main issue with '01 mdx, as compared with '02, is the noise level ('02 has thicker windshield glass, and more paddings in the roof)... there are multiple thread here and there, and also reviews available regarding that... but with that being said, it's not a big issue anyway...

there's also that notion that the tranny in the '01 and the '02 mdx might, i have to say it again "MIGHT", have a problem, as is true with those trannies in the TLs, and Oddyssies.... but so far, not much proof on that... '03 does come with a new 'compact' tranny...

as far as i know, the navi system in '01 or '02 won't be able to read the '03 DVD disc...

hope this help....

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
If you ask me, the price is a little high. . . also, ask them for a Carfax report

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jj_mdx

thanks for the info ... do you think its safe to say the trany is good if the car makes it to 38k ... im not sure but i believe a lot of the cl and mdx owners had the issue earlly on ...

laborlitigator

do you know if the dealers are obligated to provide a free car fax if asked for one ...? and what do you think is a reasonable price for a 38k 01 touring/navi ...?

·
Registered
285 Posts
i'm not very concerned about the tranny issue, as far as i can remember from reading the posts here in this forum, there were 1-2 cases of tranny failure reported here in this forum... pretty much a non-issue... but i do think that $34k is high for that mdx... i remember reading someone posting about getting a '03 mdx (base) for under $36k...

·
Registered
338 Posts
even if it is in absolute mint condition, no way should you pay more than 80% of the price when it was new - so max 32K. Plus its a bit high mileage for a 2 year old vehicle. Start with 31K including extended warranty till 7/100K, don't go above 32K (including extended warranty by Acura).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MDX350
laborlitigator
jj_mdx

thanks for the input ... the dealer called me back and they only dropped 1k off of the original offer ... i told her that i'll think about it ... but im not taking it ... I think im going to keep my goal aimed @ an 03 model because i know i'll be kicking myself in the a$$ for not sparing the few extra thousand for a updated newer vehicle ...

pending the most anticipated purchase so far in my life ...

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
mymdxiscoming said:
MDX350
laborlitigator
jj_mdx

thanks for the input ... the dealer called me back and they only dropped 1k off of the original offer ... i told her that i'll think about it ... but im not taking it ... I think im going to keep my goal aimed @ an 03 model because i know i'll be kicking myself in the a$$ for not sparing the few extra thousand for a updated newer vehicle ...

pending the most anticipated purchase so far in my life ...
Good move... I think you made the right decision...:4:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts