Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Oregon and the prices and inventory for used '14/'15 haven't been great here. This has me considering having a CPO shipped to me from out of state, and I was interested in your thoughts on what level of third party inspection you would perform if buying a sight unseen CPO MDX.

I'm aware that anything is possible on a used car, but hoping the CPO/Acura dealership would mitigate this somewhat. How deep would you go with a third-party inspection? Considering it is CPO, is it enough to just send a person out to verify the car's visible condition? Or would you try to arrange for the dealer to take it to a mechanic, put it on a rack, etc., to look for structural issues/damage, things that wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Thanks,
-CS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't do it. I bought a CPO car from out of state. Explained to the salesman how anal I am when it comes to cars. This was the most expensive car I had ever bought. He assured me of the standards they go thru to CPO a car. When the car was delivered I immediately saw runs in the paint on the back bumper. I called the dealer, and asked how this could be CPO, when "you said it was never in a wreck". Then he replies, the carfax has to be clean, that doesn't mean it wasn't in an accident. Then he tries to say the bumper has a small scratch, and was repainted. I can't tell you how disappointed I was. After researching what it takes to be a "CPO" car I discovered there's a lot of leeway, it's up to the dealer. The manufacturer has mileage, carfax requirements, but the condition is completely up to the dealer. I will NEVER buy a car without seeing it with my own eyes in person first again. Pictures can hide a lot of flaws.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with wilsel. Our '15 was CPO, previous lease through dealer we bought it from. The dealer did some paintwork on it before we bought it. It had some marks on the headliner and console and a scratch on the rear bumper. All noticed during our test drive. Another CPO on the lot at the time stunk like cigarette smoke. Have someone take a look at it for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much are they going to charge you to ship?

If your concern is mechanical, my unprofessional opinion is that CPO is probably fine.

But if your concern is aesthetics, look, smell, condition, then you should see it in person. I just bought a CPO MDX this past week, fortunately I found it locally, but there were 2 nearly identical on paper options within an hour of me. One was 34k miles and priced high. Another was 39k miles and priced low.

Obviously I wanted to like them equally, allowing me to save some cash. The expensive one was practically new. There were small dings on a bumper that the dealer was planning to fix before selling.

The cheaper one didn't smell as good, didn't look as clean, had worn leather seats and a beat up cargo area, including gouges in the interior panels. It looked a full two years older than the other one. They were priced 4k apart, but they were probably more than that apart in value.

Both CPO through Acura dealerships.

Fortunately I was able to negotiate the difference between the two of them to 1500 bucks, and I gladly paid the extra.

I ask how much the shipping is because you can fly a lot of places for the price of shipping. Me personally, I'd shop heavily and if you find one that looks like it might be a winner, I'd risk the 200-400 bucks to fly there (buy a one way flight) and inspect in person. If you buy it, you drive it home. If you don't buy it, you buy a one way ticket home and eat some money on your risk. It's a gamble, sure. But a more prudent gamble than paying 35k and owning a car you can't return.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Don't forget you may have to pay the tax on the car twice... Not sure about Oregon but you do here in WA a full 10%. Also, just like with homes, this time of year there aren't many people selling cars but it kicks up after March.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Don't forget you may have to pay the tax on the car twice... Not sure about Oregon but you do here in WA a full 10%. Also, just like with homes, this time of year there aren't many people selling cars but it kicks up after March.
twice! :surprise::surprise:

that's just nonsense. how dare they double dip.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You should consider getting a 3rd party inspection. Its worth the money to have an expert inspect it before you buy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts