Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Buying a 2015 MDX with 160K miles

7K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  96firephoenix 
#1 ·
Hi All!! I'm hoping to get everyone's input with a potential purchase. I'm thinking of purchasing a 2015 MDX (tech package) with 160k miles. Is this worth it with all these miles?

#4 ·
Did they replaced the timing belt, spark plugs, serpentine belt, trans fluid? If not, its a hard pass. If they did, take it to an indie mech to see the condition of the belts, and if necessary, negotiate the price down.

Reactions: Tim312
#5 ·
160K miles in 6/7 years means the vehicle was primarily driven on highway. If regular maintenance was performed on the car and if it drives good, I don't think there is much to be concerned. Since timing belt & other services cost close to 2K, you can negotiate the price down if they are not already completed.

#10 ·
Font Line Screenshot Parallel Circle

With a good service record I would not be concerned about the miles, but the price is high according to KBB.

#12 ·
Although the engine is capable of 200K miles the rest of the car will need $$ to keep it running. Personally for that money I would go buy a 3-4 year old small car and drive it i to the ground. Kia Souls for instance seem pretty decent and can be had used for that money.

#13 ·
engine is capable of 200K miles the rest of the car will need $$ to keep it running. Personally for that money I would go buy a 3-4 year old small car and drive it i to the ground. K
View attachment 118291
With a good service record I would not be concerned about the miles, but the price is high according to KBB.
I was thinking this is on the high end as well. It has the tech package, not sure if that makes much of a difference. 2015 Acura MDX Tech Pkg SKU:FB009544 SUV - cars & trucks - by dealer...

#16 ·
With a vehicle of this mileage, unless you personally have a fair amount of experience with the mechanics of automobiles, you definitely should take it to a qualified, ideally trusted, mechanic to give it a thorough inspection. It's not all about the engine - it's also about the differential, transmission, bushings, bearings, struts, brakes, ball joints, etc.

The area of the country can make a big difference as well. For example, a vehicle this old with high mileage where I live (San Diego) can still appear new underneath due to no rust (like my 2014) but a vehicle in the northeast can be a wreck underneath from the rust and deterioration and pretty much ready for the scrapyard despite the engine still running okay.

I put 235K on my last vehicle and that was a Dodge Durango. At the time I donated it, it was still doing fine on the original engine and trans and really had few things go wrong with it. I hope an MDX would do at least as well as that. So far my 2014 MDX with 86K miles has had nothing go wrong with it.

So, it's possible the 2015 with 160K miles is good for another 100K miles but you need to be realistic and perform the mechanical checks I mentioned - really inspecting it from underneath and knowing what to look for - i.e. having it done by a good mechanic. You also need to be realistic and know that most likely 'some' things will fail in the next 100K miles and have some budget set aside to handle it - joints, bearings, bushings, struts, etc. I'm not saying all of those will need service but most likely some will.

You could also consider a different 3 row used vehicle that sells at a lower price point than an MDX where you can get a lower mileage vehicle for the same cost - maybe a Pilot, Highlander, etc.

#18 ·
Take it to another Acura dealer for a multi-point inspection. Those are usually free. Also make sure they check those front struts as it was noted in the Carfax that those were replaced with the timing belt. And make sure you do a thorough road-test; i.e.: take it on a long distance drive, mix of highway and city. This should help you since the dealer is offering a 5 day money back guarantee.

Reactions: Tim312
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.