Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm considering trading in 2009 Tech Package for 2015 Advance Package with 43K miles that I'm getting at CarMax for $32K. Does that sound like a good deal? I also remember hearing about initial quality issues coming out of the builds at the N. Carolina plant. Should I be concerned about that in this 2015 model?

Any recommendations for purchasing extended Acura warranty on this before the factory warranty expires? Any online places that offer great deals on extended warranty? Do I even need it?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Acura doesn't assemble any MDX in North Carolina. All 2015 MDX were produced in Lincoln, Alabama. In mid-2017 Acura also started producing MDX in East Liberty, Ohio.

Why are you trading a 2009 for a 2015? That seems like an odd trade, to me. If you're want to trade up, go for a 2018. Otherwise, I'd stick with your 2009, unless there is a compelling reason to change.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stand corrected about Alabama vs. N Carolina. I got that off the top of my head and was mistaken. Anyways, the point was that there were some quality issues when they initially started manufacturing in NA. I'm wondering how common those issues were and what should I pay attention to when inspecting the vehicle. I have it on hold until tomorrow.

The reason for the 15: I love the styling and the front grille, hate the pentagon style on the 18. It has all the bells and whistles (and a smooth 6-speed transmission) that I like at a reasonable price that I can afford to pay in cash. Still has factory warranty left on it.

Any recommendations on getting the extended warranty? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I stand corrected about Alabama vs. N Carolina. I got that off the top of my head and was mistaken. Anyways, the point was that there were some quality issues when they initially started manufacturing in NA. I'm wondering how common those issues were and what should I pay attention to when inspecting the vehicle. I have it on hold until tomorrow.
Acura has always produced the MDX in North America. AFAIK, it's never been produced on another continent. Gen1 started production in Canada. And Gen3 (2014) production moved to Alabama.

I'd probably stay away from a 2014 model -- first year of the Gen3 -- as first-year models are statistically more troublesome. However, a 2015 is usually a solid choice.

The reason for the 15: I love the styling and the front grille, hate the pentagon style on the 18. It has all the bells and whistles (and a smooth 6-speed transmission) that I like at a reasonable price that I can afford to pay in cash. Still has factory warranty left on it.
Okay. I think you may be the only person I've ever heard say they prefer the "beak" over the new grill... But if that's how you feel, then I guess that works in your favor, financially.

Any recommendations on getting the extended warranty? Is it worth it?
I wouldn't. Acura makes a good vehicle, and I think the $$$ for the warranty is better saved. But it's all about your tolerance for risk. If you consider a warranty, ONLY get the Acura one -- no third parties. But even then, I'd pass on the Acura warranty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. That makes me feel a lot better about the purchasing the 2015. I thought the interior quality and the quietness of the cabin was quiet good compared to my aging 09.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
CarMax usually keeps vehicles in very good condition and have a money back period after the sell. Another advantage is they can ship a vehicle for a cost from another location if there is a make/model/color combo you like better. Cost of all this is usually a no haggle higher than normal cost per vehicle compared to other local dealerships.

You still have until the 4/50K basic expires before deciding to purchase an Acura Care Warranty. Even then, you still have the 6/70K powertrain and any current or future Acura extended warranty. I wouldn't go with any 3rd party extended warranty except Acura Care. Even if pick Acura Care, coverage will most likely be good starting at +70,000 miles after the powertrain and end at 100,000 miles when things start to happen like 99% of most vehicles. I've had 3 Acura vehicles and the basic, powertrain, and Acura extended warranties took care of nearly all of my issues. Maybe $700 out of pocket in 12 years with 3 Acuras before 100K excluding brakes, tires, batteries, alignments, wipers, and routing maint. You can call Acura warranty department with the VIN and they can give you an exact date when the original 4/50 basic will expire and you have until then to decide.

I really like the 2015 Adv model because it came with the Ent system standard and still had the 6AT (1 mph better than the 9AT). This would be the model I would go for and keep for another 100,000 miles. Not sure what I could do in +18 MDX I couldn't do in a 2015 model AND save +$20,000 in the process.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks mrgold35. I agree, the 2015 advance package is a tremendous value and I do prefer the 6-speed to the zf9. I was just concerned about the quality of craftsmanship but I did not see anything of concern during the test drive.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Thanks mrgold35. I agree, the 2015 advance package is a tremendous value and I do prefer the 6-speed to the zf9. I was just concerned about the quality of craftsmanship but I did not see anything of concern during the test drive.
The only thing that would be a no-go on this deal for me is if the vehicle was only fwd. On the positive side, it could be good if the MDX has OEM accessories already added.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My 2014 MDX with 52K or so miles on it has been very reliable and has had no issues so don't assume all of the early 3rd gen MDXs had issues - they haven't. Also don't assume 2015 wouldn't have any of the same issues the 2014 has had since that's not true either - almost all of the problems people complained about here for 'some' 2014 vehicles applied to 2015 as well and even some 2016. In addition, the only real change between the 2014 and 2015 is that one day they started stamping 2015 rather than 2014 on them. There was, however, a software update Acura provided for 'most' 2015 models that they didn't provide to 2014 models for the infotainment to resolve some of the more annoying usage issues but that's the only difference between the 2 years I can recall.

The main point - whichever vehicle you want make sure you do an extensive test drive and inspection of the particular vehicle to make sure it's acceptable to you. This means don't just do a quick spin around the block and look at the finish on the hood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my 2015 SH-AWD Tech package. Very similar situation to yours. I did SO much research before landing on the 2015 myself, and I'm incredibly happy with my purchase. I took it in to have a couple TSBs done this week, and got it back quickly. The big reasons I wanted the 2015 was that it wasn't the initial 3rd gen year, so had a year to get through any issues, and had the 6 speed buttery smooth transmission as I wanted to avoid the ZF9. For me a perfect mix of what I wanted and didn't have what I didn't want. I would do it again if I had the chance.

One other thing to look at is autotrader. The dealerships post their stock there, so it's a good place to see across the country what they're selling for. I also looked quite a bit at Carvana and Carmax, but ended up finding my 15 on autotrader at a local honda dealership here in Colorado.

I would also recommend a pre-purchase inspection. I looked at two different 2015s, and the first one which had the color interior and exterior that I wanted, ended up having some body work I didn't notice and had some soot in the engine oil. The second one, which I'm driving now, was one of the cleaner 3 year old vehicles the master mechanic had ever seen. Totally worth the coin to find the issues out before you buy it, as it's really your only chance to do so, and not doing this can cost you a lot over the ownership of the car. If you don't drive your vehicles long, then it may not matter, but I drive mine into the ground, so hope to have my MDX for a VERY long time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your comments. I ended up purchasing the 2015 MDX Advance with 42K miles for 32K. They gave me $8500 for my 2009 MDX Tech Package with 122K miles, which isn't bad based on my research. My first experience purchasing with CarMax and it was a pleasant, hassle free one. No intimidation, no BS. I think the price on the unit was fair based on cars.com, autotrader, and KBB, but most importantly it was exactly the color and features I was looking for (black/black, advance, entertainment) and it didn't have the ZF9 so I am very happy with the purchase. It appears to be a fleet vehicle and all the seats except the driver's look like they've never been sat on and it smells and feels like a brand new vehicle TBH!

I got a quote from curryacura for AcuraCare: $2390 for 5 years, 120K miles, $0 deductible. That isn't a bad deal ($40/ mo) for something that has so much technology in it. We usually drive our cars up to 120K miles/ 5 years so I'm seriously contemplating adding that for peace of mind.

Now I need to learn all the features, connect our phones, get the radio/nav codes etc. And of course give it some TLC with claybar, Jet Seal and pure Carnauba wax :)

Curious, what do you guys use for the leather on this one?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

I am thinking of purchasing the chrome Advanced running boards. Any recommendations for the best place to buy these online?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Don't. They're useless. For most adults they just get in the way. They aren't big enough to give a confident step, and the height of the MDX is too low and the board height is not useful as a step. They also don't stick out enough from the side of the vehicle to provide any protection against door dings or rogue shopping carts. Yet they stick out enough to get in the way of stepping out of the vehicle, and your pants legs will get dirty.

All around, simply not worth it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. I was hoping they would protect against door dings and look better than side moulding. Also perhaps help my aging parents get in and out easily. Are there any after market ones that you prefer?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Interesting. I was hoping they would protect against door dings and look better than side moulding. Also perhaps help my aging parents get in and out easily. Are there any after market ones that you prefer?
Not for the MDX. Not for adults.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. I ended up purchasing the 2015 MDX Advance with 42K miles for 32K. They gave me $8500 for my 2009 MDX Tech Package with 122K miles, which isn't bad based on my research. My first experience purchasing with CarMax and it was a pleasant, hassle free one. No intimidation, no BS. I think the price on the unit was fair based on cars.com, autotrader, and KBB, but most importantly it was exactly the color and features I was looking for (black/black, advance, entertainment) and it didn't have the ZF9 so I am very happy with the purchase. It appears to be a fleet vehicle and all the seats except the driver's look like they've never been sat on and it smells and feels like a brand new vehicle TBH!

I got a quote from curryacura for AcuraCare: $2390 for 5 years, 120K miles, $0 deductible. That isn't a bad deal ($40/ mo) for something that has so much technology in it. We usually drive our cars up to 120K miles/ 5 years so I'm seriously contemplating adding that for peace of mind.

Now I need to learn all the features, connect our phones, get the radio/nav codes etc. And of course give it some TLC with claybar, Jet Seal and pure Carnauba wax :)

Curious, what do you guys use for the leather on this one?
Congrats. I just bought a 2015 ADV/ENT package with 29K miles for 31,400 plus tax, title and lic. (an extra $2K). Pretty pleased with the price as it seems a good chunk below KBB, Edmunds and NADA. I think I could have gotten them just a tad lower but it was already turning into a long day and just wanted to complete the purchase and get home.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats! That sounds like a fabulous deal.

Unfortunately for me, it was getting harder to find a 2015 with low miles near me with the color and tech options I wanted, so I had to go with CarMax when one became available.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, there was a CarMax near me in Austin that had the black on black with Adv/entertainment. I don't recall the mileage on it, think it was around 40K and they were asking 32.4. But black on black in Austin was not a good option for us...it is way too hot in the summer to have so much black so we decided to keep looking.

I was less worried about the color than my wife. I wanted to make sure it was feature rich first and then worry about the color. She wanted Maroon but couldn't find the exact one. Ended up with dark gray with light gray interior. I have driven it 1K miles over the weekend as I make my way back to Washington, love the car so far with the exception of the voice recognition for calling people...it pretty much sucks. Need to use voice on my phone to get the right contact without fail.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts