Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been reading the form the last few weeks. I'm strongly considering purchasing a 2014 MDX with between 80-100k miles. I've heard if possible transmission issues that could happen for the 2014 model year but I'm curious how common is this, also what other issues should I look out for? I'm hoping this car to last me to 200k+ miles. Should I continue my search for a 2014 or consider another year?

any help and info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I have a 2014 Tech SHAWD with about 80K miles that I bought new. It was an early one built June 2013. I've driven it on multiple coast to coast trips. It's a delight to drive - actually fun with great handling and acceleration. I keep mine in sport mode all the time.

I really like the vehicle. It's been completely trouble free.

I do my own maintenance on it so it hasn't been back to the dealer since it was fairly new. The tranny fluid is easy and inexpensive to change and I've done it myself. I've had no tranny issues or any other issues.

I consider the 2014 to have been a great purchase decision for me and would readily buy another if I was in the market for a similar vehicle.

Things to watch out for according to what I've read from others on this forum (that I joined when I bough my vehicle) -

- Body panel alignment.
There were some MDXs early on that had panel alignment issues. These are something readily seen if you're looking for it. They don't all have the issue yet even some 2015 and 2016 vehicles could have had some body panel alignment issues. Some of these were fixed early on though by the dealer.

- Recalls.
There were a few recalls (just a few). Make sure they were done. I recall some bolts needing to be checked and something with the seatbelt. Most likely the 2014 you find will have had these done but it can be checked.

- Noises.
Some complained about various clunking and the like noises from the rear end and some complained about fuel pump and injector noises. I never had these issues on mine and some who did likely had them fixed by the dealer under warranty.

As with any car, new or used, but especially used and outside of warranty, make sure you do a good thorough test drive over a variety of road surfaces paying attention to noises, etc. (radio off). Ideally, take it to a good mechanic to give it a checkover to make sure nothing obvious is found. If you buy from a dealer they may offer at least a 30 day warranty on it.

Note that the 2014 and 2015 were pretty much identical with just a slight enhancement (software) in the infotainment for some 2015 models. The 2016 had a major change of going from the 6 speed tranny to the 9 speed tranny. There were far more complaints here about the 9 speed tranny than the 6 speed. Keep in mind the 6 speed tranny of the 2014 was a carryover from the prior gen so it wasn't new (i.e. had bugs worked out of it already). I'm very happy with the way the 6 speed shifts and operates.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
940 Posts
If you have been on here very long you will already know complaints about the 9 speed have all but disappeared. There have been updates to the software now the ZF is smooth as butter.
To the OP as for what you want stepping up a couple of years might be a good option for you long term. Once any vehicle hits 100K miles stuff starts to fail.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Here is a link to old Acura brochures so you can see what is standard for each trim level (base, tech, Adv, fwd, sh-awd). There was only a 1 mpg penalty with the sh-awd model. The advantages with sh-awd are improved all season/all weather handling and you get a spare tire kit with a donut spare. The donut spare can be changed out with a full size spare and the full size spare will fit between the OEM hitch. Having sh-awd will make the MDX handle like a much smaller vehicle and the tq vectoring will work just has hard in the summer.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
If you have been on here very long you will already know complaints about the 9 speed have all but disappeared. There have been updates to the software now the ZF is smooth as butter
From what I've been able to discern from posts this is the case. There were a fair number of complaints about the 9 speed trans but it appears that most of the issues were taken care of with software updates and/or years after 2016.

My point was there seemed to be a lot more complaints (not necessarily trans failures needing a trans replacement) on the 9 sp versus the 6 sp, which may have been mostly addressed via software updates.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
470 Posts
Hi all,

I've been reading the form the last few weeks. I'm strongly considering purchasing a 2014 MDX with between 80-100k miles. I've heard if possible transmission issues that could happen for the 2014 model year but I'm curious how common is this, also what other issues should I look out for? I'm hoping this car to last me to 200k+ miles. Should I continue my search for a 2014 or consider another year?

I suggest drive the vehicle after it is fully warmed up on a level road between 40-50 mph. Take your foot off the pedal and try to accelerate gently, if you don't notice any rattling or center arm rest vibrations, then the transmission/TC is most likely good. Rattling/vibration at low speed may not mean that transmission is bad, it may just need a 3x3 tranny fluid change. This is from my personal experience owning a 2014 MDX Tech for 2 years before it crashed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a '14 Tech AWD. No gotcha issues. We purchased our MDX with ~40K and currently have ~110K miles on it. I added the trailer towing package, trans cooler, mudflaps, and the luggage cover. It is our all weather family hauler. I did the timing belt, trans flush and fill x3, and added the trans-cooler. Changed the trans filter at the same time. Only recall that I've had done was the tailight gaskets. Been a good car.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I brought a 2015 tech MDX 3 yrs ago while it was under 30k miles, it's a good family hauler. It's pretty easy to maintain the vehicle, you can change all fluids yourself, I got this because I was waiting for the 4RUNNER to remodel, and my old Nissan's tranny was going out. I am glad I got this because so far it is pretty reliable for any kind of road trip.

My complaint:
Excessive body roll while turning, low torque in low gear

Parts I replace:
all four struts, all bar links, Torque Converter(Warranty), High-pressure fuel pump(Warranty), transmission filter

Part I add:
VCM Tunner ll

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have a '14 Tech AWD. No gotcha issues. We purchased our MDX with ~40K and currently have ~110K miles on it. I added the trailer towing package, trans cooler, mudflaps, and the luggage cover. It is our all weather family hauler. I did the timing belt, trans flush and fill x3, and added the trans-cooler. Changed the trans filter at the same time. Only recall that I've had done was the tailight gaskets. Been a good car.
Likewise, '14 Tech AWD and just crossed 110k (I bought mine in 2015 with 8k). Added OEM tow hitch and remote start. Had some front-end issues last year (cracked axel and had to replace a couple struts), probably more sloppy/aggressive driving on my part than anything wrong with the build. Other than that, the car has been a dream. Will be trading it in this summer if my Telluride is ever delivered, but I have no doubt the truck would run another 100k without a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I bought one with 120 k miles the dealership told me if was gonna have problems would have done so by now I had a eight hour drive bringing it home I noticed the judder shutter people talk about I took to Honda dealership had transmission fluid changed it was brown what a difference that made in couple weeks had it changed again problem solved

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my 2015, advance tech, second year model, at 101k now 123k, 2 years latter. I will only buy 1st model year if lexus or kia/ genesis. So far no issues. I give it a 9/10 my only complaint witsh it was more fuel efficient 18 miles per gal in city driving. No mechanical issues

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all,

Bought my 2014 SH-AWD Tech Sport in early July 2013, the very first Gen3 at our dealership. Mechanically flawless (114K miles). That said, ALL 2014 (I looked on the lot each time I was in for Svc and warranty fixes) and most 2015 MDXs back then on the lot (loaners too) had all manner of panel gaps and misalignments. Since new I’ve had air/sound leaks through ALL FOUR window/door gaskets, despite warranty replacements. This is always worse in colder weather than warm. They said the new ones installed appeared to be the same as the problematic ones and a fix was never made by Acura. Hwy speeds require shoving a business card (sometimes folded in half) in between the window and the gasket to close the seal and prevent the mind-numbingly irritating radio static/wrinkling paper sound. I’ve learned to live with that (in a $50K car!?!?). The six speed transmission has been great but needed a software reflash early on and NUMEROUS dealer visits to address the squeaks, rattles, chirps under hood, etc. Most of these were build quality issues that couldn’t be addressed by the dealer. The chirp was considered normal for the high pressure fuel pump despite a TSB to the contrary. Normally I’d blame my car’s issues on first year model concerns but the 2015s were no better and the awful problems experienced by many with the 9 speed transmission made me glad I had the six speed auto. Electrical issues - transient and in fixable occur a few times per year despite software updates. The tech is awful so thank g-d for smart phones and Bluetooth. We’ve had to replace a throttle body - twice - but the 2nd time was on the dealer as they warrant all of their repairs. Currently I’m dealing with lean codes on both cylinder banks. Dealer says I need all new fuel injectors after exhaustive testing - they had the car for a week - but two bottles of BG44K into a 3/4 full tank may have “cured” the issue. A few more drives will reveal whether or not the codes return. But I digress… I wouldn’t buy a new MDX again but I would lease one. As for a 2014/15, I wouldn’t touch one without a comprehensive warranty such as from Carmax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I'm not a mechanic by no means but I do listen to them closely.
Take your/a scan tool with you and after checking for codes is when you start talking price. A good scanner is your best investment when buying any used car. Record the live data while test driving it so you have a base reading to compare with after resetting the transmission.
If you do purchase I'd reset the transmission computer back to factory default settings.
Turn key to the 2nd position without starting the engine. Turn off all electrical devices like radio, AC/Heater and any lights.Turn key back to off position. Then back to the 2nd setting after your push the gas peddle to the floor and hold for 35 seconds. Turn off key and then start engine and drive normally for at least 20 minutes. The transmission will start learning your driving habits and will start sending you data that you can scan from there.Some used car dealers don't know this so it's kind of a crap shoot to do before or after you decide to purchase the car. If they do know this procedure they may have wiped the codes that can take a while to show up again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not a mechanic by no means but I do listen to them closely.
Take your/a scan tool with you and after checking for codes is when you start talking price. A good scanner is your best investment when buying any used car. Record the live data while test driving it so you have a base reading to compare with after resetting the transmission.
If you do purchase I'd reset the transmission computer back to factory default settings.
Turn key to the 2nd position without starting the engine. Turn off all electrical devices like radio, AC/Heater and any lights.Turn key back to off position. Then back to the 2nd setting after your push the gas peddle to the floor and hold for 35 seconds. Turn off key and then start engine and drive normally for at least 20 minutes. The transmission will start learning your driving habits and will start sending you data that you can scan from there.Some used car dealers don't know this so it's kind of a crap shoot to do before or after you decide to purchase the car. If they do know this procedure they may have wiped the codes that can take a while to show up again.
Great reminder!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you buy one yet?
I already have a 2002 and a 2017 so I;m good for now. Next is a truck.
I have had great experiences with the Acura's MDX. At first I was a bit overwhelmed with working under the hood. But the more of the little things I've worked on, I'm not so nearly intimidated anymore.
Yesterday I did a transmission fluid and filter change. It took me a bit over 2 hrs but I also tested the transmission pressure sensors and the shifting solenoids. The one that has 2 linear solenoids is slow and sticks a bit so I'll replace it upon it's arrival.
They are really a great rig as I'm experiencing, so I'd say heck yes but do remember to scan it first.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I already have a 2002 and a 2017 so I;m good for now.
I meant the OP - kevmdx. There was one post over a week ago and nothing more - just wondering if the person is still considering the MDX.

It sounds like you have twice as many MDXs as me. I'm also a DIYer and have done all the service on my 2014 MDX and it's been trouble free and completely reliable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts