Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are starting to shop for a used MDX for our growing family. We live in Southern California - LA area, but sometimes take long road trips. I have the 2009 TSX and it is a wonder car, and we are replacing a 2008 Toyota Matrix. Tech package is essential and love the ELS DVD-audio system and the backup camera a big plus, since we have a 2 and a 6 year old with assorted pals that we occasionally cart around. We want relatively low mileage (Under 90,000) and I am wondering if the 2011 or 2010 would be worth the higher price for a similar mileage (65,000 - 92,000) or if a 2008/2009 would be just fine and save us $2-3,000. We can stretch our budget for a 2011 if it is really worth it.

Are there any potential maintenance issues and reliability between the 2008/09 and the 2010 & 2011 models.

Opinions?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are there any potential maintenance issues and reliability between the 2008/09 and the 2010 & 2011 models.

Opinions?

One thing that’s circulated a fair bit here is the oil consumption of the 2010+ models. I have an 07 model with 125k miles on it, and I’ve never had an oil issue. There’s a guy here who I believe said he burns something like half a quart of oil every 1000 miles? He’s got a 2011.

I love my mdx, and with everything that’s been tackled by it, such as myself and brother, and parents, it’s a perfect family vehicle. My dad handed the keys to his a while back, and I’m driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
For MDX, the years I'd recommend are 2008, 2009, 2015, 2017, or 2018.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Oil issue is relevant. I just took my 2009 TSX for routine maintenance and had noticed the oil light coming on soon after starting. The Dealership was concerned it is burning oil and wants me to come back for a checkup in a few thousand miles. They mentioned possibly replacing the valves via some sort of Acura warranty. So, if this is a risk with the 2010/11 models I may wish to stay clear.

So, a 2008 Tech Package MDX with 74,000 miles should be good for quite a long time?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So, a 2008 Tech Package MDX with 74,000 miles should be good for quite a long time?
There are no guarantees, but if it was well maintained then it should be a solid choice.

Make sure there is service history — pay special attention to the transmission fluid — it should have been changed twice now (30k and 60k).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife started sending me links to a Buick Enclave :p. US News rated the 2012 model #1 for 3 row SUV's like the MDX, and it is similar pricewise, but I really don't want to go there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have Carfax and dealer records on the maintenance. I will make sure to check these. Would the same be true for a similar low mileage 2009? Any real difference between the years for features? Again we really like the backup camera feature on the 2010 models, but it wouldn't be worth paying for a $3,000 engine rebuild.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
My wife started sending me links to a Buick Enclave :p. US News rated the 2012 model #1 for 3 row SUV's like the MDX, and it is similar pricewise, but I really don't want to go there.
Don’t go there. As a lease on a “new” one, the enclave is okay. I wouldn’t want one long-term, however. Despite improvements, GM still can’t build a FWD/unibody vehicle that lasts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In the end it will come down to comparing what's available for purchase. There's a surplus of available used with taupe and parchment interior . . .

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don’t go there. As a lease on a “new” one, the enclave is okay. I wouldn’t want one long-term, however. Despite improvements, GM still can’t build a FWD/unibody vehicle that lasts.

My aunt and uncle have one, I can’t remember which year, but they’ve had electrical issues for YEARS!! The car sometimes won’t even go into reverse. REVERSE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why would you recommend the 08-09 model MDX's and not the better 2010-2013 MDX??

Trust me, buy the 2010-2013 MDX.

07-09 MDX:
Trans issues
Water leak issues
A/C issues
Heater core issues
Electrical issues
Battery drain issues
Oil pump leaks
Wheel bearings
ECU issues
Radiator trans cooler line breaks
Rust
No back up camera?
No paddle shifters
Misfire issues
Cat converter issues
Tail gate issues
Axle seal leaks
TPMS sensor issues
Ugly front/rear bumpers
Should I keep going???

Take it from someone who has experience and lives and breathes Acura's 52weeks a year.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Why would you recommend the 08-09 model MDX's and not the better 2010-2013
Personally I wouldn’t do any gen2.... but if you’re going to buy a gen2 then 2008-2009 are the only years to consider.

2010-2013 are immediately disqualified for the severe oil burning issues.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I've purchased my 11 MDX Adv+Ent used with 30,000 miles in 2014 and just turned over 110,000 miles. I only have to add 1/2 - 2/3 quarts of oil between my 7500-8500 oil change intervals. It would cost me way more to fix the oil usage issue compared to purchasing 1 extra quart of oil every 15,000 miles. I just couldn't pass up the updated styling, upgraded tech (larger Navi screen, faster address entry, bluetooth streaming, hard drive music, USB flashdrive music), cooled seats, safety tech (BSI, ACC, CMBS, auto level HID, pre-tension seatbelts), and suspension upgrades with magnetic suspension and larger front/rear stabilizer bars.

Spent last week in L.A. and Azusa (+1700 miles in 5 days) and got plenty of use from the safety tech, sporty suspension, XM/bluetooth streaming/USB flashdrive music, and auto re-routing of Navi system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t do any gen2.... but if you’re going to buy a gen2 then 2008-2009 are the only years to consider.

2010-2013 are immediately disqualified for the severe oil burning issues.

You know this from personal experience or from online experience???

My 2011 has zero oil issues.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You know this from personal experience or from online experience???

My 2011 has zero oil issues.
I do not own a 2nd gen.

If your 2011 doesn't have oil issues, I'm happy for you. Your one experience is no guarantee for anyone else, however, and the 2010-2013 have a lot of documented problems with burning oil.

Most buyers interested in obtaining a 2nd gen MDX in 2018 are working within a limited budget, and are probably not prepared (or at a minimum do not want the hassle/expense) to resolve oil burning issues. For people seeking advice/recommendations, I typically recommend looking at a newer/lower-mileage Honda Pilot -- as they can prioritize reliable transport over luxury, and get more bang for their buck. However, for buyers that insist on a luxury vehicle, but cannot or will not increase their budget to a 3rd gen MDX, then my personal advice has been (you can take it, or leave it) to stick with the 2008-2009 models.

If you're saying that the 2008-2009 are not reliable, for other reasons, then I would say that the whole 2nd generation of the MDX should be avoided, then.

At the end of the day, everyone can do whatever they want. Heck, go buy a Chrysler 200 if you really want to screw yourself.

As for this little rumble that you're trying to stoke, I'm done responding... Have fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do not own a 2nd gen.

If your 2011 doesn't have oil issues, I'm happy for you. Your one experience is no guarantee for anyone else, however, and the 2010-2013 have a lot of documented problems with burning oil.

Most buyers interested in obtaining a 2nd gen MDX in 2018 are working within a limited budget, and are probably not prepared (or at a minimum do not want the hassle/expense) to resolve oil burning issues. For people seeking advice/recommendations, I typically recommend looking at a newer/lower-mileage Honda Pilot -- as they can prioritize reliable transport over luxury, and get more bang for their buck. However, for buyers that insist on a luxury vehicle, but cannot or will not increase their budget to a 3rd gen MDX, then my personal advice has been (you can take it, or leave it) to stick with the 2008-2009 models.

If you're saying that the 2008-2009 are not reliable, for other reasons, then I would say that the whole 2nd generation of the MDX should be avoided, then.

At the end of the day, everyone can do whatever they want. Heck, go buy a Chrysler 200 if you really want to screw yourself.

As for this little rumble that you're trying to stoke, I'm done responding... Have fun.
^^What he said. I have a 2010 with oil burning issues and trust me, this s*cks and is ruining an otherwise near-ideal family vehicle. It's nerve wracking to have to check and add oil, especially as the miles pile up after an oil change. I'm currently under an oil consumption test with the dealer and we'll see how that goes with their BS 1 qt/1000 mile threshold.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I do not own a 2nd gen.

Define "a lot". Even if some do use oil, it doesn't appear to be causing mechanical problems. Many engines use oil and don't fail prematurely. More anecdotes...my '12 doesn't burn oil now at 115k miles and I usually get about 8k+ miles between changes.

According to Truedelta, the '10-'13 are more reliable than the '08 and '09 models. All are quite reliable though. Even the black sheep '07 is about average compared to other cars. It just stands out when you have cars like the '10 and '12 that are virtually flawless which mimics my experience. Still not a single problem with mine and even still have the original front brake pads.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts