Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Buy used rear shock (with 77k miles)?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  qqzj 
#1 ·
I saw a pair of used rear shocks for Acura MDX on sale for $112 on eBay . It had 77000 miles. Stay away from used shock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The xxxxx-STX-A04 is the OEM non-ads rear shock, for $108 each.

The xxxxx-STX-A52, A53, A54, and A55 is the rear OEM ads shock, with the plug on the top side, for $381 each.

Rockauto dot com sells the rear non-ads shock by KYB #349025 for $51 each new. These KYB shocks are equal to or slightly better than the OEM.

Get the new KYB shocks.

#8 ·
The xxxxx-STX-A04 is the OEM non-ads rear shock, for $108 each.

The xxxxx-STX-A52, A53, A54, and A55 is the rear OEM ads shock, with the plug on the top side, for $381 each.

Rockauto dot com sells the rear non-ads shock by KYB #349025 for $51 each new. These KYB shocks are equal to or slightly better than the OEM.

Get the new KYB shocks.
Curious, did you replace your springs while you were at it? I’m thinking about doing the whole rear along with the Advance sway bar.

#3 ·
Any evidence that KYB is better than OEM? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Yep, stay away from used shocks. And most parts as well. They usually do not cost significantly less than new and you are basically playing lottery when it comes to longevity of those parts. Also, the most important thing - labour you put into replacing something. It can take you quite a while to replace something (even with these rear shocks you might have a hard time removing the lower bolt) and then you have no idea how long used parts will last you, so you might need to do the same again soon.

Not worth it, IMHO.

#10 ·
Do not waste your $$ on the rear springs. They will last 400,000 miles.
They don’t appear to be failing but I’ve been noticing significantly more roll in the rear the past couple years - particularly when loaded. This has led to alot of unwanted commentary from the passenger seat. I thought I might as well tighten up with the Advance sway bar mod & if I was going to do that, I might want to do the springs & shocks as well. I just did my whole suspension on my 2002 Pathfinder and it’s springs were super saggy. I realize the MDX is better built but it’s ~120K & 10 years so it seemed reasonable that it might be due for a refresh. I intend to keep it another decade/ 100+K miles. I’ll doing all the work so my only cost is parts.

#11 ·
get new springs and rear shocks. Springs will last 400K miles but their performance will degrade steeply after 100K miles on average, about 80k for shocks. Buy some Moog springs and KYB shocks and it'll be WAY cheaper than going with OEM parts. On my Sport package MDX, the rear springs were sagging by 100K miles with any weight added to the trunk

Reactions: RainGoat
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.