Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm considering to purchase a new MDX sometime this year. However, with the new RDX refresh, Acura has introduced their updated infotainment system. Eventually it'll trickle into the brand's other models - like the MDX.

I imagine the MDX would be getting the new infotainment system after at least 12 months, as a 2020 model sometime in 2019, or maybe much later on... with an exterior update possibly following the next year or two after that.

I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time, so I just don't want to purchase the vehicle, only to find out Acura makes a minor (or major) update the following year...:crying2: I originally planned to purchase the vehicle this year, but now I'm kind of torn between wanting to purchase one in the coming month or so, and wanting to wait for another 12-16 months, just to see if Acura updates the MDX...:|

For those that were/are considering to purchase an MDX, or had experience with this kind of dilemma in the past... did it deter, or delay you from going through with your purchase?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

- Joe

·
Registered
495 Posts
I sort of went thru the same thing last fall. Had a 2015 RDX that was coming off of lease, and I knew the '19 RDX was coming soon - so debated whether to wait for the next-gen of that. For me, I opted to go for a '17 MDX Tech for a lot of reasons - but to the point of your question - it was because the MDX was significantly ahead of the '15 RDX, and personally ticked off all the boxes of what I was looking for - and what would carry me for many years to come (I buy out the leases for cars I like).

If you look at the MDX vs the '19 RDX, there are infotainment advances for sure. But beyond that, they really added a lot of MDX capabilities into the RDX (i.e SH-AWD) - which the MDX provides. What they'll do to a next-gen MDX is still up for debate. But for me the current gen MDX worked for me and I pulled the trigger. And do I have buyers remorse knowing the next-gen MDX might have more? Actually no. What I have is making me happy, and frankly, I'm still not a fan of the pop-up Nav screens and have found the pod-based nav screen in the MDX works well. Yea, it could have touch controls and more advanced capabilities. But those weren't deal-stoppers for me - and it's sort of like the iPhone syndrome, where by the time you buy a new phone the next-gen is being promoted and you're always behind. At some point you have to be happy with what you have :) And I am with my '17 MDX....

andy

·
Registered
108 Posts
acurajoe,

I am in the same boat, in spades. My 2009 tech is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I am very interested in what the new (2020?) MDX will spec out as. However, I think the new RDX also is a very compelling package.

I refuse to buy a new model year vehicle, so if I opted for the RDX, it would be next year's model at the earliest. Same for the MDX, so that would be the 2021 model year at the earliest. At this point, I'll probably wait on seeing the 4th gen MDX, and then make my decision between the RDX and MDX (or some other SUV) in 2021. Shouldn't be that big a deal, since my current ride has been very reliable, and paid off!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Are you wanting the latest/greatest styling and tech available OR best vehicle for long-term ownership?

I'm also interested in the 19 RDX; but, Acura does have a history with 1st model year bugs/issues. Even the 1st Gen RDX with the 2.3L turbo still re-used a lot of proven parts for the 5AT, ELS stereo, navi, suspension, sh-awd, etc... The all new 19 RDX will be "ALL NEW" and will be very different from any current Acura vehicle. I can see even more TSB and quality issues compared to the 1st model year 14 MDX and TLX combined. Plus, prices will be at/near MSRP for a while for the 19 RDX until we see how sells goes. The 2nd/3rd model year of the 3rd Gen RDX would be my target if I decide to go this route anytime soon (current 08 RDX and 11 MDX still run like new).

Long term ownership (50,000 to 150,000 miles) with a good balance of current styling/tech seems to lean towards any Acura after they do the MMC. Any model year will work if you like to exchange before the 4/50k basic warranty runs out. A new/used +17 MDX in the tech, A-Spec, Adv, or sport hybrid models are much higher on my list than the 19 RDX if you like to keep longterm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
acurajoe, here's my take on your question:

How often do you replace your car? if it's quite often, then the current MDX is sufficient enough since the infotainment is way much better than the 14-17 versions of the car. Apple carplay is good enough for me. However, the current navigation system is still using Navtech instead of Garmin. Newer Honda models have this already, I am still scratching my head why Acura is behind on this end.

If you don't replace your car that often, just like me, you might want to wait a little bit longer so you will not have any buyer's remorse. It seems like you are drawn into the infotainment, and RDX will be the first one to have the next gen system -- which is pretty advanced compared to this year's models.

On the other side, once you buy your vehicle, the next infotainment version might be way much better, and you will always have an aging infotainment technology as well as car features. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

·
Registered
500 Posts
My rule is wait for the refresh plus (1) model year. You have to let go of always having the newest, particularly since the newest these days (across a broad range of products) is becoming much less of an upgrade depending on your unit of measure.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I bought the first year of the 3rd gen, 2014, fairly soon after they came out - mine was built in June 2013.

I looked at the 2nd gen MDXs earlier (this 2014 MDX is the first Acura/Honda I've owned so I'm not a serial buyer like some here) but even though it was at the top of my list after comparison shopping, there were still a few things I didn't like about it that I thought Acura was likely to solve in the next gen and according to the what I'd read the next gen was right around the corner although in reality I probably waited a year or two longer than if the 3rd gen was available earlier. These key items that were missing from the 2nd gen but ended up in the 3rd gen were - a more usable 3rd row seat, a 2nd row seat that was adjustable back and forth (couldn't believe they didn't have this in the 2nd gen), VCM, significantly better gas mileage, more oomph when driving it (the 2nd gens I test drove seemed to lag more than expected), and the overall design.

So in the end, I waited a bit to buy the first of the next gen (3rd gen) just after it became available. I didn't worry about waiting a model year for possible reliability improvements and I'm glad I didn't wait because the 2015 had all the same issues the 2014 had and some of the issues carried forward into 2016 as well. On top of this I didn't have any of those issues at all with mine. I've still had no issues with mine after 5 years. If it did end up with issues I'd have let the warranty take care of them albeit at some hassle, but again, I didn't run into this. I wouldn't hesitate buying the next gen in the first model year of it as well.

OTOH - changes, improvements, and even changes that might have been perceived by some as detriments (ex 9 speed vs 6 speed), tend to happen frequently and unpredictably so on the one hand you could wait for the next model year and expect some kind of improvement but then there'll be more improvements in the following year and yet more in the year after that, etc. and you could find yourself waiting forever chasing that nirvana vehicle. A number of these improvements aren't necessarily that significant to me to hold off - ex: the infotainment. While the current infotainment is no doubt better than the one I have, the one I have is adequate and not enough to justify spending many thousands of dollars to get a vehicle with a somewhat improved one. These enhancements need to be quantified and put into perspective.

Even without changing the generation of the MDX, the 3rd gen has seen some significant changes with the transmission change and then especially with the hybrid. There have been minor changes to the infotainment and superficial pieces like the grill, etc. but these aren't significant IMO.

If you want to buy an MDX new, you just need to decide when the timing is right for you and then pull the trigger but do keep in mind when significant changes are likely to be released. At the end of the day you want to be happy with what you purchased and not get silly and spend huge amounts of money churning vehicles over frequently just to chase the next feature. Waiting longer if your current vehicle is suitable for you plays in your favor economically.

Note - Acura seems to do a good job keeping changes under wraps. There are people on this forum who seem to be lifelong Acura/Honda advocates, owners, enthusiasts who follow the available update news closely and even they haven't been able to predict most of the changes on the MDX. They mostly seem like a surprise to them so don't expect much in the way of accurate heads-up as to when the 4th gen will come out or what changes will come to any model year.

All that said - I'm very happy with my 2014 MDX.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am in a similar decision dilemma box. We have a 2013 RDX and a 2014 MDX. We have owned the cars for for 5.5 yrs and 5 yrs respectively and both have ~40K miles. For us, this is an eternity, but we have been very happy with both cars and have not been compelled to change. However, the involuntary "upgrade for no real reason" muscle has been twitching lately, so I have been on the hunt for the last few months. Being retired, there is no real hurry, but the luxury SUV choices (including non-Acura) are a little frustrating.

Likely going to keep the wife's RDX for her to run around town. The MDX is the long trip car and the extra space/size is better on the road and carries more "stuff", so that is the vehicle to be replaced. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 265, so buying a car is limited to what is available in a size 48 Long. Part of the dilemma.

The simple choice would have been a 2018 MDX Tech, but the the 9 speed transmission puts me off a bit. I could do a 2018 Sport Hybrid Tech, if I could find one. The Advance, which has a $6K premium, doesn't justify the increased price in my mind after reviewing what the $6k gets you. Then you have the 2019 RDX with it's new design and upgraded technology. The 1st year thing isn't as worrisome to me, but the 10 speed transmission may have it's own demons. I'll know that after a test drive. While I fit in the 2013 RDX, as mentioned above, the size and space of the MDX is much preferable, as is the MDX's road feel (more solid). the compelling thing about the 2019 RDX is the slightly larger size and the way they are moving the wheel a little further apart (side to side and front to back) to get them out towards the 4 corners of the car. Acura's claim is "class leading" interior space. I haven't found the final dimensions yet, but if that means an inch or two more legroom and/or hip room, it could contend to replace the MDX. Especially if moving the wheels out also improves the road feel.

Finally, there is no info available yet on when the MDX might see the tech upgrades the RDX has for 2019. As I said, there is no hurry, so I have decided to be patient and see what unfolds in the next few months to help me with some details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the comments, everyone.

Feels like some of us here were/are experiencing a similar situation. I agree that, at least in my case, it does come down to whether or not the updated infotainment/interior dash layout would serve as a "deal-breaker" for me... and for that, I'll need to sit on it a while longer.

The updated RDX is something I'm also considering. That vehicle is slightly smaller, but the exterior, and interior have both been refreshed. Looks a bit sportier than the MDX. That said, and I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just something about the MDX that draws me towards it. I plan to give both vehicles a back-to-back test drive at my local dealership once they have a demo '19 RDX available...

Since we're on this topic, anything else I should take note of, or pay attention to whilst test driving? I have googled some things to pay attention to, but also prefer to have insight from forum members. From the forums, and everyone here, some are saying to pay attention to the '19 RDX 10-speed transmission (... smooth shifts v.s. clunky shifts?), and 1st MY Acuras tend to have more bugs/issues that Acura needs time to iron out/fix in the years following.

- Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
To keep it simple OP, wait till the RDX and MDX A-Spec comes out this summer then make your decision.

The new 2019 MDX A-Spec supposedly doesn't come in Hybrid trim so thats why I purchased my 2018 Hybrid. I do plan to do a semi A-Spec conversion once Acura releases the parts.

·
Registered
495 Posts
.... That said, and I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just something about the MDX that draws me towards it.
Having gone from a '13 MDX to a '15 RDX to my current '17 MDX - what drew me back to the MDX was (aside from the SH-AWD and some other "features") was the size and flexibility that the MDX offers. There were times during my RDX experience when some things either just didn't fit, or you had to do a lot of contortions to get things to work. On the surface, I felt going into the RDX that I didn't need the space the MDX offered - that was my logic. The reality was that for me it's been a big benefit. Not only for the storage/hauling flexibility - but just for driving comfort. It's JUST enough bigger that you feel comfortable on long or short trips, and when we go out with another couple, you're more relaxed while driving/riding. Not sure that this relates to your "can't put my finger on it" statement, but that's how I'd describe similar feelings I had....

andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts