Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an email offer of $48,800 for a sport hybrid with technology package. I don't want the color that they have though, and the dealer only has one in stock.

I could wait until 2019 but not sure if the price would go up substantially? Are there any big changes predicted for 2019?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I have an email offer of $48,800 for a sport hybrid with technology package. I don't want the color that they have though, and the dealer only has one in stock.

I could wait until 2019 but not sure if the price would go up substantially? Are there any big changes predicted for 2019?
Doesn’t sound like much of a deal to me. No big changes planned that I am aware of.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Only notable change I believe for the 2019 Hybrid when outfitted in the Tech package is the ability to order with second row captains chairs sans the middle console that the Advance package comes with. This allows a true walk-thru to the 3rd row if needed. That said, who knows the availability of that option given Tech Hybrids are so few and far between as it is.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
What would a good deal be? Truecar average price says $50,000 for that.
Unfortunately,there are so few hybrids,esp Techs. You never want to be average. What’s the color? Maybe for a tech,that’s not bad. I’d go in lower. Wherever you feel comfortable. I’d go in with $48,000. Make sure they don’t get you with extras. A lot of times they get you with dealer installed options.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'd never pay nearly $50K (or even $100) for a vehicle that wasn't a color I wanted. That's enough for me to forego it. For that (or any) amount of money I want everything to be just the way I want it and that includes the color. I realize some people don't care about color.

Check online for inventory at other dealerships in your general area to see if any of them have what you want. The local dealer can often swap with that dealer to get you the one you want or you could just go and buy it at the other dealership. Personally I'd be willing to drive a couple of hours to another dealership to get what I want. You can have all service done at the close dealership - i.e. it doesn't need to be at the one where you bought the vehicle.

If you wait for the 2019 then you might want to wait for the 2020 then you might want to wait for the 2021, etc., especially because somewhere in there a 4th gen may well come along, but it sounds like you're not desperate for the 2018 right this minute so just spend some time finding what you want, including the color, in a reasonable deal, and then go for it whether it's a 2018 or a 2019.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a basque pearl red with parchment interior. I'd love a blue with grey interior, but the closest one I can find is like 300 miles away. I would take black/black, silver/black, or white if I got a good price. My Subaru needs a major (non safety related) repair so I'm hoping to be in a new vehicle sometime in the next few months. Don't care too much about the captains chairs and center console as I would either prefer a bench or move up to the advance and get the console.

Looked at the Lexus today and the price is competitive but I think I'd rather have the Acura.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ That's funny - my 2014 MDX is blue with a gray interior. I waited to find one since they were rare when the 3rd gen MDX first came out but I ended up getting one at a dealer that wasn't the closest one.

Maybe your dealer can get that blue one that's 300 miles away - or you could get it if you were really motivated and wanted to do a road trip, but if you do you still need to be prepared to walk away from it if there's something weird wrong with it (maybe a lot scratch or something) or if they don't live up to the deal you pre-arranged. I've negotiated my last several vehicles totally remotely by phone and email and haven't had a problem when I picked it up. They offer all the moneymaking add-ons like Lojack, paint sealants, extended warranty, and the like but I just turn all those down and drive away at the pre-arranged deal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wait for the right color. I'm in a similar situation as you, except I found the right color in a 2018 Hybrid. Was quoted the exact same price as you, but like "Elvisfan" mentioned, as soon as we started talking about dealer installed accessories, they were charging full retail on parts and a ridiculous amount for labor. I gave them a fair offer and was told no. Not even a counter offer from them, so I walked. Point is, you're spending a lot of money, get the car, the way you want it, at a fair price. If that means waiting for a 2019, then so be it.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
We ended up with gray. I looked for blue,but it wasn’t going to happen unless I ordered one. Then a deal was offered on our other car. That one happened to be gray. Now we have 2 gray cars. It grows on you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Prices for the 2019 hybrids are TBD, but the 2019 gas models seem to have gone up about $1,500 in price (when comparing the 2018 MSRP to the 2019 MSRP in the press release).

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'd never pay nearly $50K (or even $100) for a vehicle that wasn't a color I wanted. That's enough for me to forego it. For that (or any) amount of money I want everything to be just the way I want it and that includes the color. I realize some people don't care about color.

2018 or a 2019.
I’d pay $100 for a color I didn’t want. Think of the profit when you sell or trade it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ You''d probably only be able to sell the $100 vehicle for...$100, probably less than that actually since most vehicle transactions result in some loss.

If it wasn't obvious, I meant that even if I was to buy a $100 vehicle I'd want it to be a color to my liking.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
^^ you''d probably only be able to sell the $100 vehicle for...$100, probably less than that actually since most vehicle transactions result in some loss.

If it wasn't obvious, i meant that even if i was to buy a $100 vehicle i'd want it to be a color to my liking.
joke

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's a basque pearl red with parchment interior. I'd love a blue with grey interior, but the closest one I can find is like 300 miles away. I would take black/black, silver/black, or white if I got a good price. My Subaru needs a major (non safety related) repair so I'm hoping to be in a new vehicle sometime in the next few months. Don't care too much about the captains chairs and center console as I would either prefer a bench or move up to the advance and get the console.

Looked at the Lexus today and the price is competitive but I think I'd rather have the Acura.
We are living in the era of the internet and cellphones. Great for car buying. I haven’t closed a deal on a car in the last 15 years other than with phone/internet. I have driven as far as southern MN-to-Fort Worth TX for a car deal (Fort Worth was a savings of thousands, as I was trading an Arizona RWD Yukon, and RWD SUVs are worse than the plague in MN). If you can get closed over the phone on a car that you really like, with a dealer 300 miles away, the drive to/from is an exceedingly small price to pay for getting what you really want and are likely to have for years. Pick up that phone, dude! ;-)

P.S. I have the 2017 hybrid. You cannot go wrong, you wil love it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Keep in mind, even when the 2019 model is released, that doesn't mean you will be able to find one easily, or soon. It took me from last December until June to find a Sport Hybrid I wanted, even checking dealers within 250+ miles.

My preference was for a 2018 model (new nav), Advanced and just about any color except black. I was on the fence about steel metallic, tired of waiting, and ready to make an offer on one, when I learned a different Chicago dealer had a silver Advanced arriving in a week. Bingo! We agreed on a price over the phone and I was at the showroom signing papers, while the dealer was still prepping the car after it came off the truck. AFAIK, it never showed up as inventory on their web page or other car buying sites.

The take away: to get color, model and price you want will likely require patience and good timing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts