Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 80W nokya in my lows, don't have anything for my fogs yet, but am looking. I was wondering, when should I be concerned about the wiring on the lows? I run my lights all the time; as for the fogs, don't want to go to high because I don't want to melt anything. :confused:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
30% increase in power...

Means 30% increase in heat too, you will still have that heat at the bulb/fixture, but by upgrading wiring & relays at least those items will pe 'spared'.

How much more light are you getting? WHY are you running them "all the time" -- this is definately going to cost quite a bit in bulbs/components...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just like running my lights during the day as well as at night. I guess I can just cut it back to night time only so I can save some bulb and access life.

I did the same swap on my accord, and didn't have any problem with them. I was just wondering if I should be concerned about the increased wattage...

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Razos have worked fine in the fogs. I'm not sure of the wattage but they produce a bit more light than the factory bulbs. They are the same as the Razo low beams.

Dan

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
eltigre said:
I'm running 80W nokya in my lows, don't have anything for my fogs yet, but am looking. I was wondering, when should I be concerned about the wiring on the lows? I run my lights all the time; as for the fogs, don't want to go to high because I don't want to melt anything. :confused:
Be careful with running bulbs with higher than stock wattage. Check and feel the wire harness after a long run to see if they are heating up. The higher wattage may melt the harness. They make aftermarket wire harnesses that you should use whenever you increase the wattage of the bulbs. Also make sure that the plastic housing doesn't melt from the high wattage also. I would recommend using the same wattage replacement bulbs, but high performance ones like I used on my MDX. Piaa makes replacement bulbs with the same wattage and much brighter. HID's are much brighter and less wattage and less heat they work great. See my thread below. Click on the vehicle in my signature.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I replaced my stock hi & lows with PIAA Super Whites. Fully legal (not like my tint)
and a noticeable improvement.
The greatest improvement is in the light fill. If you can imagine the tear drop pattern of typical lights, the stock always has some voids or unfilled areas.
The PIAA fills the pattern and gives a nice even field. The overall brightness is noticeable, but not not a huge difference.
And the lights are only slightly more white than the standard yellowish.
But I think the PIAA represents the minimum lighting any production car should be delivered with.
Eventually I may go with HID, but for now I have improved and reliable lighting over stock.
There are brighter and more 'white' bulbs available, but again look at the legal issue (maybe that's not a concern) the wattage rating, and bulb life. There are often compromises.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the suggestions. Will look closer at my harnesses and see if they need to be replaced.

:2:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I doubt if the additional wattage will be a problem; 80 watts only draws about 7 amps per bulb, and the bulbs are on separate circuits -- each with a 20 amp fuse. The stock low beams are rated 51W each, which draw a little over 4 amps each; thus, the additional load is less than 3 amps per bulb. As an electrical engineer, I've gotta say: don't sweat it. [Standard disclaimer: :14: if your car self-destructs 'cause YOU messed with the electricals, 'tain't MY fault!]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I don't really run my lights as much as I use to anywayzz, so I don't really think it will have much affect on my lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts