Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___I rode in the back of one of these monstrosities this evening and although it is woefully lacking in the looks and equipment department, I did like the rear door trim, handle, and lock. It looks like brushed aluminum parts from one end of the door to the other. It sounds like plastic when hitting it with my knuckle though? The rear leg room and seating comfort in both the rear middle and door seating positions were terrible …

___Not that the above means anything because it wouldn’t be a consideration in anyone’s driveway that I know of, it did have attractive rear door handles and trim …

___One last item, does anyone think this isn’t the ugliest car on the road other than possibly the Honda Element or Pontiac Aztec? How can an American car company with more money and talent than probably any car manufacturer in the world screw the pooch this bad?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Aztek and the Rendevous are sister cars....same platform, etc., and yes I agree they are fugly!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not only is it ugly, but BUICK can't sell it. They are giving rebates AND 0% financing for 5 years. I wouldn't get close to it. I have always liked Buick's but PLEASE, I wouldn't rendevous with one of them. :eek: :14: :23: :28: :mblah:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I agree; the Aztek is IMO the ugliest car on the road and the Rendezvous, based on the same platform, is similarly brutal to look at. Nothing visually redeeming about either one of them.

I think the Element is at least an interesting design; not my personal cup o tea, but certainly not an assault on the senses like the GM products.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
On Edmunds, the Rendezvous owners are very positive on their vehicles. The main thing is that the vehicle is very cheap, with the huge GM incentives, plus combinability with the GM credit card, as well as GM supplier discounts. So its selling price is much, much cheaper than the MDX, even when fully-loaded.

Probably the biggest negative is the relatively weak engine.

Unfortunately, for those who prefer vehicles with solid crash test scores, the Rendezvous was 3/3 stars in the NHTSA full-frontal crash and just an "Acceptable" in the IIHS offset-frontal crash test.

It did get 5/5 stars in the NHTSA side-impact test, but most taller SUV's get that automatically because NHTSA's side-impact barrier is quite low and doesn't simulate getting hit by an SUV or minivan. Worse yet, in that test, the door popped open because it was unlocked, which is usually an indication of poor structure. The vehicle has automatic door locks so in the real world it's not likely to pop open in an accident, but the fact that it needs the door lock to hold it closed means the structure is lacking and that could be a factor in various accident scenarios.

Looks are subjective but I don't like it either.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
xcel,

It isn't the ugliest, but it's the fugliest!:2:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Agree

After following the RDV vs MDX discussion on Edmunds for some time I felt compeled to actually take a look at one and see for myself. While I'm usually against bashing any vehicle on these forums I have to say the RDV is one of the worst vehicles I've ever come across. A better comparison might be Aztec vs Rendezvous.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Rend and Aztek - barf!

Go sell that puppy in a couple years and see what you get for it. Resale will suck big-time. Will the MDX have this problem - make me laugh. People completely forget about resale when they buy, but not this guy.

Bob Lutz said it best when he came to GM. He said the problems with GM are very apparent - just look at the Pontiac Aztek.

-Greg

·
Registered
351 Posts
I beg to differ........

Maybe I'm just in a good mood, but I rented a Rendezvous this morning (for a weekly trip to one of our other offices 2 hrs away) and I have to say I absolutely LOVE it. That's a very powerful statement for me because I hate american cars, and even worse, hate Buicks. But to me, this thing is no average buick. I had kinda wanted one when Buick announced it would be coming out a few years ago--- but then Acura released the MDX and that was all she wrote :10:

Anyway, I am still surprised at how smooth the Rendezvous rides, how well it handles, the interior design and the cabin space. To me it rides and sounds more like a Toyota. Plus, it's actually kinda fun to drive. It's external appearance is definitely different, but nowhere near as offensive as the Aztek or Element in my book. The rental company once tried to put me in an Aztek and I told them NO, because i didn't even want to be seen in that fugly thing for 1 day. :)

NO, I'm not getting ready to trade in my X for a Rendezvous, but I have to admit that I am surprised at how much I do like it. I plan to request one each week when I rent from now on.

Go figure! :8:

·
Registered
70 Posts
:16: Rendezvous :16: Aztec !!!!!! I'm beginning to get sick !!!!!

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: I beg to differ........

dmyles said:
Maybe I'm just in a good mood, but I rented a Rendezvous this morning (for a weekly trip to one of our other offices 2 hrs away) and I have to say I absolutely LOVE it. ...
I had a similar surprising experience when I rented an Oldsmobile Bravada, of all things! :2:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Good News & Bad News on the Rendezvous

The good news is that there is a "Rendezvous Ultra" planned, with a 240-265 horsepower engine from the SRX in it.

The bad news is that Buick is recalling 107,000 models (including the complete, first-year, 2002 production run). The rear liftgate can pop open in a crash.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-06-09-gm-recall_x.htm

This is a prime example of how you get what you pay for. On paper, the Rendezvous looks like a great value against a Pilot or an MDX, except for the anemic engine in the current model.

However, the vehicle's structure is based on the terrible structure of the GM minivans. It improves on them but it's not enough. In crash tests, the driver's door has popped open, the floor has bent, and the steering column has moved excessively. These are all indications of a poorly engineered structure. The liftgate popping open is only further confirmation of a structure that reflects the price tag.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Originally posted by Loony
:16: Rendezvous :16: Aztec !!!!!! I'm beginning to get sick !!!!!
I agree Loony, I have been to many places and said, "Why in the hell would you want to live here". Which is almost the same thoughts I have when I see someone who has purchased a Rendezvous, or Aztec. "Why in the hell would you want to buy that", especially the Aztec.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts