Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

BSMs discoloring?

• Nope, they still match the X perfectly.

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Argh!, I'm noticing some discoloration!

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I don't have BSMs, so I don't know (or care!)

Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing that my body side mouldings are discoloring as compared with the X. The X is still bright white, but the BSMs don't seem to clean up quite as bright. Instead, they are a bit yellowy.

Has anyone else notice that the BSMs aren't aging what gracefully as their X? I imagine it is more noticeable with white.:confused: :(

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had ordered bsm's with my X, only for the protection from door dings. Now that I have read several of the posts on bsms, I had decided that 1. they don't look that great, and 2. they don't offer a great deal of protection. Therefore, I had cancelled the bsm order, and want my X naked. :2:

2003 SS MDX

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
same problem?

I wonder if there is a relationship to the painted BSM and those who got their mud guards painted? I wonder if those are discoloring also.
Based on that, one would think the bumper covers would discolor since they are made of similar poly/rubber, whatever material. I believe they are baked on with the body paint though, assuming they can take that temperature.
Then again, maybe it's not the material underneath, just a lousy paint job. What about early (01) BSM owners?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Mine match perfectly ...

... should have got the Mahogany:cool:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
hammerX said:
I had ordered bsm's with my X, only for the protection from door dings. Now that I have read several of the posts on bsms, I had decided that 1. they don't look that great, and 2. they don't offer a great deal of protection. Therefore, I had cancelled the bsm order, and want my X naked. :2:

2003 SS MDX
Same story with me.:4:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Mr.Prescott:

___How are you washing your X? I am just trying to figure out if maybe there is an external issue to consider … How about where you park it when at work? Any Chem. or Petro-chem plants in the area? I have a story about a radioactive release that contaminated a parking lot full of cars some time ago but that is for another thread ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little hand washing and some spray washing, but mostly drive through full service washers.

Do you think that would have a negative affect?

·
Registered
351 Posts
MrPrescott said:
I have been noticing that my body side mouldings are discoloring as compared with the X. The X is still bright white, but the BSMs don't seem to clean up quite as bright. Instead, they are a bit yellowy.

Has anyone else notice that the BSMs aren't aging what gracefully as their X? I imagine it is more noticeable with white.:confused: :(
yep..same here (my X is white too).

i've toyed with the idea of taking them off, but haven't got up the nerve. plus, I still think they do offer protection from dings.

·
Registered
160 Posts
no discoloration and I don't go to car wash machine

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've noticed that the SS ones I bought have a lousy paint job, especially noticeable when you look at them in the sun. Some of the areas are yellowish and don't seem to have enough metallic in them.

Actually, after installing the chrome side steps I'd like the look better without the BSM. Was too naked with nothing but the chrome side steps really dress up the sides. But since I like the look of door dings less, I'll keep the BSM until their lousy paint job really bugs me too much or I get a door ding with them on - then off they'll come!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts