Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke a screw (see yellow circle in uploaded photo for location) trying to tighten my new water pump against the block (03 MDX, 170,000 mi) so that there’s about a millimeter of the remaining screw length (fastened to the block) protruding into the water pump. I used threadlock and silicone around the gasket, and there’s also a bolt for the pump cover that goes through the water pump (green circle in photo) will be fastened pretty close to the broken screw. My question is do you think this will hold up to the pressurized coolant flow or do you think it’s not worth trying and that it’ll definitely leak? Also, has this happened to anyone else or was it just a rookie mistake and I overtightened (although it didn’t feel like I was nearing a tightness that would break a good screw, so I’m thinking it was just old and worn out)?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I wouldn't chance it. Remove the water pump, remove the broken bolt, and then replace it with a new bolt, torqued to proper specs. If it's sticking out a little bit then hopefully you can grab it with pliers or vice-grips and remove it, easily.

·
Registered
733 Posts
You should replace it.

I did some maintenance on my pressure washer this weekend and the bolt (plug) snapped off with almost no pressure which I assume was due to it being a water corroded part but I had nothing to grip or tap it out with. I used some JB weld (carefully) to build it up over 24 hours and I was able to get it out.

Sounds like you may have just enough to lock a vice grip on it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Heating up the area around the the bolt hole with a heat gun or propane torch can help the removal process.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Last time I performed TB and water pump, I restarted engine w/ TB installed and timing cover removed, coolant added, and mount missing. I had a water pump leak! I removed pump, recleaned surfaces, and used an oring lube to seal pump. Second test start was successful.

Remove water pump and extract bolt w vise grips. Get a torque wrench and use it!

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts