Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 145 Posts

· Registered
1,770 Posts
DaleB,

I just did a quick scan and came up with the following (I assume that I missed some):

10 links on 9 vehicles:

** 2 on 2001s
** 3 on 2002s
** 5 on year unknown

Some additional comments:

** The info above does not indicate whether this is a problem more common to 2001 or 2002.

** Our dealer indicated that this is somewhat common and now stocks the links. For them to say that, they must have done a bunch (heck assume it was only 10-20). That's still a lot.

** Wonder how many have not posted the occurence?

** Wonder how many are driving an X with a broken link and don't know it?

I am relatively new to the forum (1 year). Has this been going on for a while or is it a relatively new problem?

· Registered
2,950 Posts
srpbep said:
I am relatively new to the forum (1 year). Has this been going on for a while or is it a relatively new problem?
Seems relatively new from my perspective (here since the beginning, or close to it). What's the earliest post your search showed?

· Registered
1,770 Posts
TheWorm,

I didn't look real hard ... I think I didn't pick up anything prior to 2002 but I really wasn't checking posting dates ... sorry ... should have thought to do that.

:1pat:

· Registered
10,735 Posts
I am sure it's happened to many others obviously, that are not on the forum.
So they just figured it was a freak thing and forgot about it. Not knowing it's more common than they may have thought.

There doesn't seem to be any way the dealer can check for it, like a visible defect (before it breaks) or some number or code stamped on the link.

If so, then they could have all been isolated by now I would think.

I wonder if anybody kept a broken one.
Can't you request broken parts to be returned to the customer? Maybe they don't have to if they are covered by warranty.

· Registered
24 Posts
To answer your questions:

I have a 2002 with a build date in April 2002.

It's on the rear passenger side (right).

I called my dealer today they have the piece in stock and said it should take about an hour to fix. I'm bringing it in tomorrow. I'll post some more info on what the dealer tells me.

As for when it happened and such, I think it just broke on Saturday night when we were driving with 5 passengers. That's when we noticed the noise. But it may have happened earlier and never really had that many people in the X to notice the noises in the back. It was a rear passenger that told me about the noise in the beginning but now it's very loud.

The longer I drive it, the louder the noise and some turns and driveways makes a really bad clanking sound down there.

· Registered
9 Posts
Broken links

Our MDX has been stuck at the dealer for 2 weeks now waiting on a new rear sway bar link; they say that there is a 56-piece order back-log on the item, so I would say it is NOT an occurance in less than 10 cars.

We can't get ours back because we found it while the car was getting a state inspection and they can't pass it. So they gave us a new TL and there we are, riding in style...but it's not an MDX:(, and we miss it!

JH

· Registered
1,770 Posts
NTENNA's post is interesting. I had wondered if anyone was driving with a broken link and simply didn't know it. NTENNA's post convinces me that this is indeed the case (sounds like it was discovered during a "routine" inspection).

So, my assumption is that this is a bigger problem than previously thought:

** Possible to have a broken link and not know it.

** It apparently is a safety issue (at least, so says NTENNA state inspector). How big an issue, I don't know (do others out there know what the risk is). I don't know if it is a small handling issue, a big handling issue, a roll over issue or what. Guess we got lucky and found ours early.

** Failure rate must be high (large backorder for the offending part).

Based on the above, I would think it prudent to periodically crawl under the rear end of the MDX and check both sway bar links.

Anyone else have any thoughts ??

· Registered
737 Posts
I've just joined the club

:eek:
Actually I've probably been a member of the broken sway bar club for several weeks. Kept hearing a crunching sound going up and down the driveway, especially diagonally, but too busy dealing with maintenance items that I kept forgetting to look at the sway bar links when I'm underneath.

My battle wound is on the rear passenger side. Reminds me of a compound fractured leg. Called Parts to order it for me, its on backorder, naturally. The local dealer has 5 leftside units on backorder, and mine is the first for the rightside.

Attachments

· Registered
10,197 Posts
Re: I've just joined the club

TheyCallMeBruce said:
:eek:
Actually I've probably been a member of the broken sway bar club for several weeks. Kept hearing a crunching sound going up and down the driveway, but too busy dealing with VTM & tranny fluid changes, tire rotations, and repainting the sandblasted hitch (free compliments of Yukon gravel roads) that I kept forgetting to look at the sway links when I'm underneath. Wife keeps laughing everytime we go up or down a ramp, saying I should have bought a Lexus like hers. She quit saying that when I showed her the price tag for the upcoming GX.

My battle wound is on the rear passenger side. Reminds me of a compound fractured leg. Gonna bypass service and ask parts to order the replacement.
TheyCallMeBruce,

Ouch! I agree, looks like a compound fractured leg!
:eek: :13:

· Registered
699 Posts
What a Coincidence

I think I might have joined the club, too. Heard a loud noise from the right rear when I went down the driveway -- loud enough to make me pull over and inspect the car. Didn't find anything at the time... Now, pulling up or down driveways at an angle often makes a scrunchy sound from the right rear. Need to take a look with a flashlight. Thanks for the pix! Gives me an idea what to look for.

· Registered
1,770 Posts
jonnygoodboy,

You've got the "right" symtom. I'll bet that it is a broken link. Anyone want to make a friendly wager??

Now that the "word is out", if owners will look, I suspect that the number of broken links goes up!!

· Registered
10 Posts
I am a new member of the broken sway bar linkage club. But my broken link bar came around and punctured the tire. That is how I found out about the problem. I did get the funny noises on two or three occasions before the tire blew.

When my dealer found out he could not get the part, he offered me a $30 dollar a day Hertz rental. I complained and they gave me a Ford Escape. Not quite in the MDX class.

This was over a week ago, and today there is still no word on when the part will come in. I have to make a long trip this weekend and am quite irritated. Called Acura customer service today and complained. They said they would get back to me in two to three business days. Great.

Not a pretty story

· Registered
1,770 Posts
NOW IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE

Holy Cow!! .... never thought about the possibility that the broken sway bar link could cause tire damage ... now that mikejadams points it out, I feel real dumb!!

Some have suggested before this that the broken link could be a safety issue because of loss of rear stabilization and I figured "well, maybe". Now, I see a whole new picture:

** My wife is driving down the freeway at 75 mph.

** Broken link puts a "big hole" in the tire ("akin" to a blowout).

** Vehicle will probably get a "tad unstable" (most do with a blowout).

** My wife tries to control vehicle BUT now must do so without rear sway bar to assist (when link is broken, sway bar is effectively gone).

** Rest of picture is not pretty.

I think that this should be reported to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ for investigation with possibility of recall.

What makes this any different than the Exploder issues other than it hasn't caused an accident and/or death YET???

· Registered
1,770 Posts
Problem Should be Reported

In my opinion the problem needs to be reported as a safety issue. The instructions on how to report a problem can be found at:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm

Here's the text on how to report the problem:

In order for NHTSA to respond promptly to requests for information, suggestions or comments; they should be addressed to: [email protected].

Use this form only to report a problem. If you prefer, call the DOT Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236) and a NHTSA representative will record your report. You may also print the form out and fax it to (202) 366-7882 or mail it to: U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Office of Defects Investigation, NSA-10.01, 400 7th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20590. In either case, your report will be entered into the NHTSA's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other reports to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.

If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your report is the first step in the process.

Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall. If the manufacturer does not initiate a recall, the government can order the manufacturer to do a recall.

We do not have to receive a set number of reports before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your report is important to us.

· Registered
737 Posts
Yikes! Tie down that broken link!

mikejadams said:
I am a new member of the broken sway bar linkage club. But my broken link bar came around and punctured the tire. That is how I found out about the problem. I did get the funny noises on two or three occasions before the tire blew.

When my dealer found out he could not get the part, he offered me a $30 dollar a day Hertz rental. I complained and they gave me a Ford Escape. Not quite in the MDX class.

This was over a week ago, and today there is still no word on when the part will come in. I have to make a long trip this weekend and am quite irritated. Called Acura customer service today and complained. They said they would get back to me in two to three business days. Great.

Not a pretty story

Based on the number of backordered rear sway bar links in just the Southern California area alone (I called a few Acura dealers this week), there has got to be hundreds of people, some who don't even know they have the problem, driving around with broken links waiting for the OEM replacements to come around. And they aren't all driving an alternate vehicle. People need to take their broken MDX now to a dealer and have the broken link detached from the bar until the part arrives. Make sure they order and will use a new self-locking nut as specified in the service manual (NOT RE-USABLE, is your service advisor even aware of this requirement?).

1. Check to see if you have a broken link, see photos in this thread.

2. If you do have a broken link, don't drive anywhere, not even to the dealer until you have tied up the link to the bar with a cable tie, trash bag wire tie, anything you can find.

3. You can remove the broken link yourself, but it requires removal of the wheel, simultaneous use of the a hex socket to hold the bolt in place as you remove the nut with a crow's feet attachment to another socket wrench, or sans crow feet, a lot of muscle with a combination wrench to break the frozen union.

After going through the Explorer/Firestone debacle in '99, I don't need this happening to me. Acura had better respond quickly to this; sending warning letters and offering free safety inspections before their image suffers from trying to hide a life-threatening problem.

Picture of the broken tip of the sway bar link pressing up against my tire. If I drove off like this, what do you think would happen?

Attachments

· Registered
737 Posts
Re: Yikes! Tie down that broken link!

TheyCallMeBruce said:

If you do have a broken link, don't drive anywhere until you have tied up the link to the bar with a cable tie, trash bag wire tie, anything you can find.
Tie that baby up! Today!

Attachments

· Registered
2,950 Posts
Pls check for accuracy and comment. Thx.

I'd encourage those with the broken links, and especially mikejadams, to call Acura Client Services to report the issue, since it is a safety item. Reporting to the NHTSA is appropriate for mike, but it might be quicker/better for all if Acura is told directly, as well.

TheyCallMeBruce - excellent suggestion on tying it up. I assume you could also just remove the remaining piece(s) if a wrench is handy?

I think we should post a "check your swaybar/stabilizer links" annoucement in all forums just so folks do a quick check. I can do that, but want to make sure the info's accurate.

Am I correct in stating that the broken link may cause:

- a single bang or pop when it breaks
- scrunching sound from rear
- creaking from rear during turns
- scrubbing sound from rear
- push or understeer

And needs to be tied up to avoid contact with other parts, specifically the tire.

I'll link to the excellent pics a number of you have provided.

Thoughts, comments, additions, subtractions and corrections appreciated.

· Registered
737 Posts
TheWorm said:

- a single bang or pop when it breaks
- scrunching sound from rear
- creaking from rear during turns
- scrubbing sound from rear
- push or understeer

Thoughts, comments, additions, subtractions and corrections appreciated.
- crunching or popping sound going up and down driveways, especially diagnonally

Sent a letter to Acura Client Services just now, with picts, posts, formal complaint, and a strong urging to inform MDX owners of the problem. Asked for an update on the production and distribution status of the linkage bars for both the left and right sides.

· Registered
968 Posts
Just checked mine '03 MDX and it's okay. But it looks the same as the previous ones...looks like they didn't change or fix that.

I agree, sounds like a potential safety issues.

:3:

41 - 60 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.