Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Back AC not working

I notice mine stop working after an accident. It did not work after I too delivery of my 2001 MDX back from the body shop. Spoke to my insurance, they informed me just to take it back to the dealer to have them look at it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
DidMoroz, Great post. My rear ac is still working but plan to keep this post for possible future reference.

Where did you find/purchase the thermal fuse?

·
Registered
1 Posts
MDX rear ac

I have a 2002 mdx and the rear controls arent working - lights go on on the button when I hit the rr ac manual but no fan. Fuses look good. Its under warranty so my next move is to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Re: MDX rear ac

M. Gabris said:
I have a 2002 mdx and the rear controls arent working - lights go on on the button when I hit the rr ac manual but no fan. Fuses look good. Its under warranty so my next move is to take it to the dealer.
my scenario too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Rear Ac problem

DidMoroz said:
JFix, like I said in my earlier post problem with my rear AC was bad thermal fuse. I am not sure if you check that one or not, it is the fuse inside of transistor assembly, not under the dashboard. It is very easy to check if the fuse is good or bad. Just place the Ohm meter leads across the fuse and if resistance is infinite it is bad. I am 99% sure this is the problem, if not your transistor is bad and you will need to buy whole new assembly from the dealer, as there is almost impossible to cross reference this transistor. Like I said before it cost me 99 cents to fix this problem and about 30 min of my time. The hardest part is to find correct fuse: 2A 114C ratings as normal electronics store does not carry them. Will try to post some pictures, this is my first time posting them so I am not sure if it will work on first try. I hope this helps.
Where did you get your thermal fuse? Is 2A for 2 amps and is 114C for 114 degrees centigrade? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Preventive Maintenance

In my latest trip to my service shop (not Honda but a place called Honda Hospital - they own two MDX's between the owners) they did a service related to this. In the first DidMoroz pics above you can see a screen on the left side. This is a filter for the rear A/C. It tends to get clogged with lint/dust causing the blower motor to work extra hard. They surmise that this is causing many of the transistor and blower motor problems. The removed the screen and blew it out. If you know how to take apart those trim pieces and have an air compressor, you could probably do this work yourself in less then 1/2 hour.

Oh, and FYI, the TSB on the transistor is number 03-021

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mp29a4,
2A is for 2 amps and 114C is for 114 degrees Celsius.
Most fuses you will find in Radio Shack are 10-15 Amps. Little too big for this job. I ended up special ordering fuses through local electronics store.

I have couple fuses left, if anyone is interested for a small fee I will replace fuses for you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Re: Question

wamiller said:

Quick question of clarification - If there is power for the Rear Control light on the main panel up front, the transistor is OK? I haven't taken mine in yet and want to make sure they have the correct part before leaving it there. My light does work so based on the info here I figure I've got a bad blower.

Wade
2001 MDX
NO! The rear control lights light up just fine. The transitor just controls the blower motor. I had mine replaced last week. They had to order the part as they were out of stock but it only took about a week. The good news is that it's about a 10 minute repair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mp29a4 said:
Thanks. I found some at www.digikey.com. The Digikey part no. is P10920-ND, made by Panasonic, whose mfg. part no. is EYP-2BN109. Decription: Thermal Cutoff 114C 2A/250VAC.

Here is the URL right to the info page for this part: http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T052/1185.pdf

Also, Digikey's number is 800-344-4539.
Looks like DC rating is @ 5A
I hope that works good for you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you guys know if the dealer replaced the just the transistor:

or did they replace this entire unit:

I can't imaging them going in and messing with the internals so my guess would be the part in the second pic. But then again, it is only a guess and that's why I am asking.

Do you know how much the replacement part is? My 02 is out of warranty (via mileage) and Acura estimated $240 to replace the transistor. They did not even look at the car and assumed it was the transistor. That's how common this is, I suppose.

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
What a rip, you should ask them to "goodwill" the fix and print this thread and give it to them as this is a pretty common occurrence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Neo, go ahead and buy transistor assembly from the dealer and replace it yourself. Very simple procedure and will cost you $83.57 plus shipping if you buy it from acura.com, or get it from the dealer. It is item # 15 on the picture.

·
Registered
61 Posts
DidMoroz said:
Neo, go ahead and buy transistor assembly from the dealer and replace it yourself. Very simple procedure and will cost you $83.57 plus shipping if you buy it from acura.com, or get it from the dealer. It is item # 15 on the picture.
That is great info. Thanks.

Has anyone gotten this part from Tim? Maybe I'll send him a note. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just a quick update. I called my local dealer and they had 1 transistor assembly left for the price above. With tax it came out to about $90.

About 20 minutes of work (and I was being very careful) and I have rear vents again.

:18: to DidMoroz for posting basically all the images and info I needed to get this done.

41 - 60 of 422 Posts