Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, please forgive me if this should be redundant. I did a search and didn't have any luck...

The rear AC in my X is not working (nor is the heat). THe display lights up when the control is transferred back there (so I figure its not a fuse, correct me if I'm wrong...) but nothing at all happens, no matter what the setting. Not even the fan.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is it going to be a pain in the neck to get it fixed? I can't figure out if its the fan, compressor, or what.

I'm still under warranty, at least for another 8k, but I'm concerned that they're going to have to take the whole thing apart, which would doubtlessly take a while (maybe I shouldn't complain about that, eh?).

No kids or anything (someday, hopefully, but that's a separate discussion!), so it really isn't THAT big of a deal, but I wanna get it fixed while its still under the warranty. Don't want the dogs to get too hot!

What has anyone else's experience been?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
11,136 Posts
I remember other folks having the same problem. I think it was either a fuse or broken blower motor, take it to the dealer, should be a warranty item.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just had mine repaired yesterday. It was a defective transistor. The service advisor knew right away what was the cause. It apparently already has occured on many MDXs. I also got the TSB on the clicking brakes done and the recall on the transmission done. They were finished in less than 3 hours. I was also lucky to get an '04 TSX as a loaner, great car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Me Too

Mine stopped working yesterday at 50,200 miles on a 2002. I am hoping that the dealer will make the repair under warranty.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoa! I didn't know this was such a common problem. I'm taking it in on Tuesday for service, I'll ask the service advisor about those causes, for sure. I'll let you all know how it turns out (since I'm sure it will keep you all in suspense until then, after all!).

Thank you all for the input, it's been very helpful!! I didn't have any idea it was such a problem for so many people. Thanks again, have a good one...

BWS

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved!

It turned out to be a defective blower motor. They at first suggested that it might be that transistor, but since there was power for the light on the console they ruled that out.

They kept it over night but it was covered by warranty. No problems now.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Have a good one...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Acura replaced my rear blower motor about a yeat ago at 48,000 miles, though it did take a couple of trips to the dealership; first it was, "what noise?", then after I drove the service tech around for 5 minutes "oh, THAT noise" which they supposedly fixed, and then two weeks later when the thing sounded like a helicopter taking off...they replaced it.

I must say, that in comparison to friends and neighbors who have lesser cars (Chrysler, SAAB, BMW, Mercedes) Honda/Acura does the best job of standing behind their products and taking care of things when they go wrong.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Another

We just discovered this weekend that our rear air unit no longer works. Same as mentioned before...power to the controls but nothing else. The fuse is good. I got my transmission recall notice last week so when it goes in for that I will have them fix it. 2001-43K.

Niles

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Another

nwaring said:
We just discovered this weekend that our rear air unit no longer works. Same as mentioned before...power to the controls but nothing else. The fuse is good. I got my transmission recall notice last week so when it goes in for that I will have them fix it. 2001-43K.

Niles
Same here!! Returning from Tahoe and the aircond was initially running on OT trying to cool the car down when I noticed nothing was coming out of the rear vents. Looks like a trend here. (27K)

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
You can try to remove the cover (simply lift the shoulder rest and there are two phillips screws that have to be removed and then the cover will come off) and see whether all of the connections are together. Otherwise, it should be the fuse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine went out last week while on vacation. Talked to a service guy in Huntsville AL while passing thru and he said it was probably the transistor. Said they had done several lately and he was out of them and the part was on national backorder. Must be a trend... Bummer is that I am 5k out of warranty!

Wade
2001 MDX

·
Registered
11,136 Posts
wamiller said:
Mine went out last week while on vacation. Talked to a service guy in Huntsville AL while passing thru and he said it was probably the transistor. Said they had done several lately and he was out of them and the part was on national backorder. Must be a trend... Bummer is that I am 5k out of warranty!

Wade
2001 MDX
I would ask them to cover it as a warranty item since it seems to be a pretty common problem. Escalate to Customer care if you have to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Question

BWSmith201 said:
It turned out to be a defective blower motor. They at first suggested that it might be that transistor, but since there was power for the light on the console they ruled that out.

Quick question of clarification - If there is power for the Rear Control light on the main panel up front, the transistor is OK? I haven't taken mine in yet and want to make sure they have the correct part before leaving it there. My light does work so based on the info here I figure I've got a bad blower.

Wade
2001 MDX

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Question

wamiller said:

Quick question of clarification - If there is power for the Rear Control light on the main panel up front, the transistor is OK? I haven't taken mine in yet and want to make sure they have the correct part before leaving it there. My light does work so based on the info here I figure I've got a bad blower.

Wade
2001 MDX
That sounds logical. But I would not replace the blower before actually putting the power to it to make sure it is dead.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The darn transistor is still on backorder, has been for a month according to Acura. The crossover part from the Pilot is also on backorder, although it's somewhat cheaper, so might be worth looking into. I still don't know whether it's the blower itself, the relay or transistor, hopefully should find that out soon.

--Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tested the transistor in mine and it works. Any technically minded people have an idea on what to test next? Where is this relay that was mentioned located? I will be checking the blower motor connections and should have a service manual soon, which will help.

--Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Answer to your problems:)

I have a 2001 MDX with 116,000 miles:) It has been a great car but have had a few minor problems. One of them was what you are talking about (the rear blower not working) I don't remember what it is called but there is a device that plugs into a socket under the armrest. If you make sure your drivers seat is all the way back you can remove the panel below the gear shift selector. This piece installs towards the back of the arm rest under the shift selector. If you go into the Acura dealership and tell them what the problem is, they will know what you are talking about. Allthough not reported as a recall problem I think this was a part that went out frequentley. You are lucky as you are still under warranty, I was not and it cost me 160.00:) They can probably install it in 15 minutes:) Anyway, hope that helps, I have run into a few other issues including the tranny recall, so if I can be of help later just ask:)

1 - 20 of 422 Posts
About this Discussion
421 Replies
194 Participants
djwdjw
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing