Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of those people that buys the shop manuals as soon as possible, and I thought I'd share a couple of things I discovered.

First off, there appear to be three different manuals available, and I'd recommend getting TWO of them.

There's the ACURA MDX SERVICE MANUAL pn/ 61S3V01 which covers BOTH 2001 and 2002 for $67. (Don't buy the 2001 version, it's the same $ and just doesn't include '02 - '02 includes everything from '01.)

This is the main shop manual, covers pretty much everything mechanical and electrical. ~3" thick, maybe 400pgs. I'd rate it about average on the user friendliness scale.
-usual Engrish errors common to Japanese makes
-use of SCS (Service Check System - should be Self Check System in my book) is obscured in most chapters, but one or two admits that just grounding the SCS pin on the underdash diagnostic connector will blink out the codes w/o requiring an OBD-II tool or Honda PGM tool
-contains complete schematics - although they rate below average on the readability scale - off page connections are inconsistent and particularly poorly referenced across diagrams.

Nice segue into the ACURA MDX ELECTRICAL TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL p/n 61S3V01EL which covers BOTH 2001 and 2002 for $47. (Don't buy the 2001 version, it's only $3 cheaper and just doesn't include '02 - '02 includes everything from '01.)

This is an add-on to the electrical sections of the main shop manual. Only an inch or so thick, this book contains a second set of schematics - much more readable than in the shop manual, part locations, and some 200 photographs of the parts in question in their on-car locations!!!! I rate this way above average, and a definite must have. (I don't think it includes enough information to quite stand alone except perhaps for the stereo-installer level of interest.)

Last and definitely least is the ACURA MDX BODY REPAIR MANUAL p/n 61S3V30. This covers both 2001 and 2002 by virtue of including a manilla envelope (kindly folded by Helm's shipper) with two almost-full-page stickers which you get to try and apply to pages 2-18 and 2-19 of the book they send. Oh and what a book it is - $44 for a mere 1/4" of diagrams for welding new body panels in place. DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS ON THIS BOOK!!! I got it thinking it'd be needed for removing fenders, bumpers, etc. No joy! All that stuff is covered in the regular shop manual. This thing is of use only for serious body work involving rewelding!

If it weren't for Helm's rediculous restock fee of 25% of your original order, I'd have sent this (Body Repair Manual) back. Hopefully my experience will save someone else the $44.

/Soapbox on
Personally I think everyone should own the shop manuals. Thankfully Honda includes a blink code system so there's really no excuse for "My check engine light is on and I don't know why" complaints.... Owning the shop manual will let you read the code out and be better prepared for that dreaded post-warranty trip to the stealer.
/Soapbox off

Richard

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Very useful information, thanks for posting this.

I have been considering getting a shop manual and now I know where and what to get.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Very helpful info! Thanks. I have the latest shop manual, and now will send for the latest electrical.
I have ordered shop manuals for most of my cars in the past. I find them most helpful if you have a problem, even if it is being fixed under warranty. It is a good way to see how they are going to do the repair, and even to see if it was done properly.
But mostly I just like to look through it, different sections at a time, and learn more about my X.

·
Registered
277 Posts
henry_atwork

henry_atwork,

I have the 03 Service Manual and It's great. Looks like a major re-write of the 01/02 Manual because of all the 03 changes. Very helpful on most technical questions and a great supplement to the Owners Manual. However, very light on Navigation info; there must be a Navi Manual planned.

Hope this helps.

vcolangelo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts