Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Update: I put on these Continental LX20 around 49,500 miles 4 years ago. Now the odometer is reading 87,500 miles. There is still PLENTY of tread left. It seems that the tires will be swapped out due to age rather than mileage. So the tread wear should not be a concern to future buyers.

However, during a recent travel to Yosemite I noticed that the tires would squeal, and possibly lose traction, in some sharp turns. When I tried to drive past a section on CA120 for 5 miles with lots of sharp turns with speed limit 20 mpg, the tires would squeal in the middle of the turn at 25-30 mph. I routinely go through corners at 5 to 10 mph above the speed limit, and this almost never happened to me before. So when I heard that the tires screech, I was pretty surprised. This might be reasonable given its traction rating, but it is quite discomforting to me. Next time when I need new tires, given that I do not put a lot of miles, maybe I will choose a tire softer with a 50k mile warranty, rather than 70k.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Update: my car has 99,528 miles now and has 6/32 inch left. It has no problem of reaching 70k if I drive it till 2/32 left. However, the tire started to make noise. The conclusion is that for people who do not drive a lot, buying a soft tire might be better.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have just under 50k miles on Conti LX20's and showing 6-7/32nds. Vehicle has 120k miles. They started to get noisy about 5k miles ago and just rougher all around. Still better than the OEM Michelin's that were this loud by 30k miles and excruciatingly loud and rough by 40k. I might try something else next time but just not sure. The MDX is a spare/occasional use vehicle at this point so it's not seeing a ton of miles.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I am glad to see that our experiences are very similar. Relative to OEM, LX20 is a no-brainer choice. But its lack of grip, esp. under dry condition, make it a bit less desirable. I might try something else next time, but I am okay with putting another set on if the price is okay. Is it your 2nd or 3rd set of tires?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The LX's are officially the second set but I also started running winter tires the season before. I kept the OEM Michelins about 45k miles, the LX's have about 50k miles, and the Blizzaks 25k miles. The Blizzaks are too worn to run another winter as well. I may try the Pirelli Scorpion Verde this time and run them through winter. I have no clue how the LX's perform in winter but the dry handling was just so-so. That was the only area the OEM Michelins performed better than the LX's IMHO.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
LX performance in snow is either same or better than OEM in my opinion. I replaced OEM when it still had 5/32 tread left. The reason is that it did poorly in the previous winter when I went to Tahoe for skiing. If I go to Tahoe again this winter, I must replace LX. Otherwise, I might wait till next year.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well, My 2007 MDX currently has 100,286 miles on it. I put these LX20 on it on 12/16/2013 (roughly 5 years ago) at 49,614 miles. I measured my tires just now, after 50,672 miles, my front pair of tires have 5/32 inch left and the rear pair have 4/32 left. Winter is getting closer and time to think about tires again. It just happened that Discount Tire Direct (Discount Tire/America's Tire online branch) is running a promotion right now on eBay,

https://slickdeals.net/f/12132160-100-off-orders-of-400-on-tires-and-wheels-with-discount-tires-on-ebay

Each pair of LX20 is $382, same as their online store price. So I added some junk wheels for $28 each. (I don't even know what it is.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311915568920

So the total is $410 and the coupon can be applied. Each account can use that coupon twice, so I got a full set of 4 tires for $620. Given that I spent $854 for the same tires 5 years ago, this is not too shabby. My car is now 11+ years old and the price fits the age of the car pretty well. There are $234 left for installation etc. I am also planning to get American's Tires free rotation and rebalance and prorated warranty package. Not sure how much would be left after all that. Will report back.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I called DTD and they (Dominic) were super helpful. They took the 2 silly ATV wheels back (I finally know what they are!) and I paid $24 additional to buy 4 certificates. The certificates are $20 each and will replace or refund the price of the tire completely if one or more of the tires is ruined in 3 years. They also agreed to send me the tires in mid December which is super nice.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Nice find. Interesting to see DTD and Tirerack are now carrying Coopers. I've had decent luck with them in the past...especially for the price point. The Discoverer SRX they have on Ebay are $632 with a $70 rebate and then the $100 off....$462 total. That's hard to overlook and the tread/sipes look nice.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Nice find. Interesting to see DTD and Tirerack are now carrying Coopers. I've had decent luck with them in the past...especially for the price point. The Discoverer SRX they have on Ebay are $632 with a $70 rebate and then the $100 off....$462 total. That's hard to overlook and the treade/sipes look nice.
Cool. It is esp. nice if the manufacturer happens to have a rebate going on. Sadly, Continental's rebate is very limited to only a few tires. If you actually try the Coopers, definitely write a review with long experience. Maybe it is going to be my 4th set.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Cool. It is esp. nice if the manufacturer happens to have a rebate going on. Sadly, Continental's rebate is very limited to only a few tires. If you actually try the Coopers, definitely write a review with long experience. Maybe it is going to be my 4th set.

I probably wouldn't go the Cooper route if this car was seeing 20k-25k miles a year but now that it's not driven as much it might be worth a try. My debate at this point is to run with the existing LX20's through winter, buy a new set of winter tires and get another summer out of the LX20's, or go with the Coopers.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I read the early comments. Someone says that the recommended tire pressure for LX20 according to Continental is 34 psi. I am quite curious about this claim. Does anyone know the source of such information? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
The tires arrived tonight. (Dominic left a note for the warehouse guys asking them to send me the tires in December, but the dudes in the warehouse apparently don't have the habit of reading notes :surprise:) The tires have date code 1118. So they are not as fresh as I have hoped. But given that I have seen two year old tires on new cars in dealer lot, this is not a big deal I guess.

I also got a chance to experiment with my modified el cheapo Milton tread gauge from Amazon. Initially, my tread measurement with this gauge was all wrong because the gauge did not read zero against a flat surface. So I used a file and removed a tiny portion of the tip so that zero is read against a flat surface. When I used the modified gauge on the new tires, the tread reads 12/32 exactly. This is very satisfying. Then I measured my old tires' tread. They all fell between 5.5/32 and 6/32 inch. To be conservative, say the tread is 5/32. So I used 7/32 over 50k miles. Roughly 1/32 over 7k miles. That translates to right around 70k miles from 12/32 to 2/32. So Continental's tread warranty makes sense in my case. Since most drivers will replace the tires around 4/32, one should expect to get 56k miles in most cases.

I am going to stick to the old ones for a while and put the new shoes on before rain starts in the SF bay area. BTW, they have not mailed me the certificates yet.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Went to my local America's Tire to get the tires installed today. Installation plus disposal and env. fee etc was right around $87. So the total cost is $707. (The first set cost $854. I guess I got a lousy deal back then.) It is helpful to print out the receipt from DTD and bring it with me. Otherwise, they won't use the lower $19/tire installation fee. Also once they see the receipt, they can also add the certificate into their local store system and you will be covered and no more surprises. DTD won't send out physical certificates. Everything is in computer system.

My OEM tires last 7 years with 49,614 miles. The first set of LX20 last exactly 5 years and 51,932 miles. Both had around 5/32 inches left when replaced. A bit earlier than I want to. My OEM tires had developed many small cracks time by the time I replaced it. (The current set of Michelin on another car of mine is doing the same now. I am quite disappointed at Michelin esp. given its lofty prices.) LX had no cracks but started to make funny noises on highway. Pretty sure it can last quite a while in dry months. Let's see how well the second set does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
mpg drop with LX20

My mdx had initially bridgestone dueler and would give about 15/18mpg, lasted 45K miles.

Next were mastercraft , mpg went up to 17/20 and had 25% wear in 25K miles. I had to change because of balancing issues.

Just put on LX20 and mpg is down to 14/17 with 32psi pressure.
Not sure if others saw drop in mpg after switching to LX20.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My mdx had initially bridgestone dueler and would give about 15/18mpg, lasted 45K miles.

Next were mastercraft , mpg went up to 17/20 and had 25% wear in 25K miles. I had to change because of balancing issues.

New tires can sometimes cost you a little fuel until they break in. I've not seen a mentionable change switching between the OEM Michelins, Blizzaks, and LX20's. Just switched the LX20's back on for summer. Only thing that does change a little is the speedometer/odometer...the Blizzaks were apparently a bit smaller and made the speedo read 2-3mph fast which means the odo was seeing more miles than actual as well. So at that rate they could have been getting almost 1mpg less than calculated. With the LX's back on my speedo is again right on the money per gps. Maybe the Mastercraft were a bit smaller so some of that was just bad math.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Try 34 PSI. I can get 23-24 on highway

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Recently swapped out the LX20's from my '12 MDX. Total miles were right around 60k and they were down to 5/32nds and looked fairly chunked up. The last 5k miles was a pretty bad experience...very loud, rough over bumps, and horrible in the rain. No way did I want to risk getting caught in some snow with them. I went with Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady this time around and so far very pleased. The driving dynamics aren't as crisp as the OEM Latitudes, but neither was the LX20's. Otherwise the MDX feels like a new vehicle...possibly better than new in the quietness/impact harshness category.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts