Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 MDx with SH-AWD the dealer is telling me there is "break in" oil in it and I need to do a fluid drain and fill at 13,000 miles? Legit or not?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are you referring to engine oil? Or rear differential fluid?

Either way FOLLOW YOUR MID!

Change engine oil/filter every time you get an A or B service indicated.
Change rear differential fluid every time you get a 6 service indicated.

That said, it's been my experience that the MID typically indicates a 6 along with the oil change closest to 15k miles. (Usually the 2nd oil change)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Sounds like rear diff, which the first drain and refill is at 15k. It's super easy to do.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
If it's engine oil, Honda is probably one of the last manufacturers that fills their engines with break-in. I've tested factory filled oil in both of my Odysseys and both times it came in with very high amount of Moly (anti-friction). I'd definitely keep that oil in there for at least 5k miles, maybe longer depending on your driving style.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I wouldn't consider high moly a sign of so called 'break-in' oil. No one can really know what is the factory fill is but I would wager the high moly levels is to gain every last ounce of efficiency so that spread sheet buyers will consider the MDX because it gets a couple tenths better MPG.

I change at 500 miles on ALL my new cars and they never ever use an ounce of oil between changes.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I wouldn't consider high moly a sign of so called 'break-in' oil. No one can really know what is the factory fill is but I would wager the high moly levels is to gain every last ounce of efficiency so that spread sheet buyers will consider the MDX because it gets a couple tenths better MPG.

I change at 500 miles on ALL my new cars and they never ever use an ounce of oil between changes.
I change the oil when the MID says so. Don’t need any oil between changes.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If it's engine oil, Honda is probably one of the last manufacturers that fills their engines with break-in. I've tested factory filled oil in both of my Odysseys and both times it came in with very high amount of Moly (anti-friction). I'd definitely keep that oil in there for at least 5k miles, maybe longer depending on your driving style.
Actually, Honda does NOT use special break-in oil. They use standard 0W20. They don't even use any special additives. Just normal oil.

The higher molybdenum content is due to the assembly lube that they use when assembling the engine.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Actually, I've seen letters from Honda that confirm they use standard synthetic blend engine oil for the factory fill. Nothing special. No extra additives.

Moly is definitely NOT for fuel economy. It is used as an assembly lube on parts such as the camshafts. It gets washed out with the first oil change. Anyone who has built a performance engine has likely used an assembly lube that has a high moly content.

·
Registered
713 Posts
moly is no longer accepted as the best solution. The molecules are like pieces of slate. When they lay flat on one another they are slippery as heck but when they stand upright it is like sawing with 10,000 saws. Lots of synthetic assembly lubes out there. I use a combination of them as well as moly and graphite when assembling a motor. Moly was definitely used on flat tappet cams.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't fully buy this "assembly lube residual" theory. Every manufacturer uses some type of assembly lube in new engines (mostly Molly). I've spent a small fortune on factory fill oil analysis (different makes and models) and never did I see such a high content of Molybdenum in any of these samples, I am talking about 600ppm+ high. At the end it doesn't really matter how it got there, obviously it was Honda's intention to have it in the engine to aid with the break-in process, which in fact qualifies a factory fill to be called a "break-in" oil, IMO. I occasionally use a 300ml can of MoS2 (molybdenum) additive in my cars, and even then Moly content never exceeded 250ppm.

·
Registered
499 Posts
For the record I don't think Honda or any OEM uses special oil as a factory fill, its off the shelf oil. This is going to turn into another oil debate, but there are numerous sources of Mo in oil and its most certainly still used as a friction modifier. It can also show up in any of the typical UOA as either a wear metal, an additive, or contaminant.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If anyone wants to know, in detail, how their oil is holding up, before changing, let's say, check out www.blackstone-labs.com. If you send them an oil sample, and they provide you with the kit for free, they will thoroughly analyze and give you a written report. With this report, it makes it easier to determine if your oil is really "used up" at the time of your oil change. The cost is the test itself, and it's reasonable.

·
Registered
357 Posts
For the record I don't think Honda or any OEM uses special oil as a factory fill, its off the shelf oil. This is going to turn into another oil debate, but there are numerous sources of Mo in oil and its most certainly still used as a friction modifier. It can also show up in any of the typical UOA as either a wear metal, an additive, or contaminant.
There is nothing really to debate about. Facts speak for themselves. Moly is still used in some oils but NEVER is such high numbers. The most I've see was 60ppm, Honda's factory fill is 10+ times more. Take a look at two UOAs I've attached. Both from my vehicles, both factory fills. VW has almost none, while Honda's off the charts. How do you explain that?

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts