Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

We will be taking delivery of our new MDX within the next few weeks and I would like to know how people feel the best way is to break in the engine.

Thanks,
Ken K

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Like any other Honda engine. Drive it normally, but no jackrabbit starts, or revving it unnecessarily. When driving on a highway you can drive any speed but vary it. Take it in for its required first interval, you know they have them break in fluids :)

BTW it's VTEC not v-tech, they make cheapo telephones.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it comes on time, we were thinking about taking it on a 1400 mile road trip. Would we be better off to drive it around town with some highway driving and some stop and go driving or would it not be an issue if we took it on the road with mainly high speed driving? Also, how long is the break in time for these VTEC engines?

Thanks
Ken K

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Either way should be fine, what you don't want is to set the cruise control to 65 and let the engine sit at (basically) one RPM for hours.

Vary up and down from 55 to 75, use cruise sparingly, and you'll be good. There is no 'official' break in, but I use a 1000 mile rule-of-thumb.

Ard

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Call me simplistic ...

... but I would follow the manual. Break-in instructions are clearly spelled out. And there IS official break-in mileages given.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
break-in....

According to the manual, the break in milage is 600 miles. Just don't do hard break or fast acceleration before that.

Have fun with your X. :)

- JTM

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
"call me simplistic..."

Actually, I suppose you are right. I missed this.

I'll still stand by the advice not to lock it at 60 mph on the cruise for the first 600miles at one specific rpm... (varying speed is good to ensure breakin on many engines, perhaps not this one I guess...)

Ard

PS If you'd like a pdf copy of the 2001 manual, to read in advance of the 'arrival' send me a PM...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
ardvarkus
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing