Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Purchased my mdx 2016 with 26k on it like 6 months ago. Carfax indicates that all rotors and brake pads were replaced just before I got it. Currently it’s on 30k. Was at dealership today for transmission issues. They replaced fluids and did software update. Was also recommended with next oil change replace break pads. They must be kidding me. Paperwork they gave me states I have 4 mm left in front. What would u recommend?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Get a 2nd opinion. I work at an independent shop and just had one last week where a dealer told the customer they needed brakes and they were still at 7mm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a 2nd opinion. I work at an independent shop and just had one last week where a dealer told the customer they needed brakes and they were still at 7mm.
Just inspected brake pads with another shop. 4 mm left. How possibly from 11 to 4 just in 4K miles? I don’t drive aggressively. Or pads weren’t replaced at 26k as carfax report states?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Based on what you say, sounds like the Carfax has wrong information on it. Did you purchase the car from dealer or private seller? If dealer, bring car back to them along with the Carfax report and insist them to replace pads (and possible rotor) for free since they provided you the report that indicated it is new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer. I’ll bring all the paperwork with me next oil change. Also maybe you have answer to another question. Just find out their report indicates that transmission fluid was contaminated. Does that mean it was mixed with some other liquids, and if yes aren’t they suppose to find the reason why instead of just flushing it?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Keep in mind that there are TWO measurements on pads. First is TOTAL thickness of the friction material. Second - and really the only useful measurement - is the distance from the face of the pads to the wear indicator. In my experience, 4mm on the second is actually a reasonable amount remaining.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not sure what type of driving was done but 30k miles on OEM pads with 4 ml left seems to be very aggressive. Replacing the rotors at 26k indicates a problem. Those can easily go 80k miles.

Anyways. Take it back and demand a fix.

For peace of mind learn how to service brakes. It’s probably the 5th most easiest maintenance items with the 4 before really easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what type of driving was done but 30k miles on OEM pads with 4 ml left seems to be very aggressive. Replacing the rotors at 26k indicates a problem. Those can easily go 80k miles.

Anyways. Take it back and demand a fix.

For peace of mind learn how to service brakes. It’s probably the 5th most easiest maintenance items with the 4 before really easy.
Thanks for answering. And what about my second question. Aren’t they suppose to do more than just drain and fill transmission after finding that fluid was contaminated? I think warmer might be leaking in that case.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If you have a garage. At minimum a jack and 4 jack stands. A strong back to move the tires around. An inclination to do that type of work and have no problem working on what is probably one of the most important items on the car. If you screw it up,it could kill you. Why do people think everyone has the wherewithal to do that work? Sorry about my rant.
For peace of mind, find a good mechanic.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Thanks for answering. And what about my second question. Aren’t they suppose to do more than just drain and fill transmission after finding that fluid was contaminated? I think warmer might be leaking in that case.
You would hope. Especially since that is a known problem. You probably need to go back and get the service records. I wouldn’t wait until your next oil change. The more time since the work,the harder it may be to get them to cover it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
MDX have a problem with brake rotor warping. When this happens they turn the rotors on the car usually. If the pads aren't worn out they don't replace them. Best solution was take carfax back to the dealer who sold the car to you and ask them to look at the brakes because they told you that the pads were new when they gave you the car fax. Another dealer won't fix the problem nor will Acura. They will refer you to the selling dealer. We had warped rotors when we bought a 2015 MDX. Acura made me take it back to the selling dealer since they are the ones who certify it. Considering that my air filter was black with debris on a certified car and the spare was near flat with no hand prints on the dirt, but they put down that the air filter was replaced and the spare tire pressure checked, I am not sure what a CPO check really means. I also paid my dealer to look it over too and they missed the same things. I think based on this the Acura CPO check really goes like this, "Well Fred what do you think?" Fred answers, "Yep, it's a car. Let's CPO it."

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you have a garage. At minimum a jack and 4 jack stands. A strong back to move the tires around. An inclination to do that type of work and have no problem working on what is probably one of the most important items on the car. If you screw it up,it could kill you. Why do people think everyone has the wherewithal to do that work? Sorry about my rant.
4 jack stands to do a brake job? hmmmmmmm.......uhhhhh.....Just one will suffice. I don't think a garage is a requirement either. To each their own and I understand if you don't have the tools, etc. but, most times, purchasing the tools for the first job is probably a wash with the labor fees to have a mechanic do the work for you. If you have multiple vehicles, the cost savings multiplier over the life of the vehicles is a no brainer! Plenty of youtube videos out there that walk you through the steps and to be safe, only do one wheel at a time and take it for a test drive after to be sure you did it right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
4 jack stands to do a brake job? hmmmmmmm.......uhhhhh.....Just one will suffice. I don't think a garage is a requirement either. To each their own and I understand if you don't have the tools, etc. but, most times, purchasing the tools for the first job is probably a wash with the labor fees to have a mechanic do the work for you. If you have multiple vehicles, the cost savings multiplier over the life of the vehicles is a no brainer! Plenty of youtube videos out there that walk you through the steps and to be safe, only do one wheel at a time and take it for a test drive after to be sure you did it right.
👍

·
Registered
525 Posts
MDX have a problem with brake rotor warping. When this happens they turn the rotors on the car usually. If the pads aren't worn out they don't replace them. Best solution was take carfax back to the dealer who sold the car to you and ask them to look at the brakes because they told you that the pads were new when they gave you the car fax. Another dealer won't fix the problem nor will Acura. They will refer you to the selling dealer. We had warped rotors when we bought a 2015 MDX. Acura made me take it back to the selling dealer since they are the ones who certify it. Considering that my air filter was black with debris on a certified car and the spare was near flat with no hand prints on the dirt, but they put down that the air filter was replaced and the spare tire pressure checked, I am not sure what a CPO check really means. I also paid my dealer to look it over too and they missed the same things. I think based on this the Acura CPO check really goes like this, "Well Fred what do you think?" Fred answers, "Yep, it's a car. Let's CPO it."
My mechanic buddy bought a CPO.

He went home and Checked every line - most were not what they stated. He Went back the next day and got a bunch of service work done at their cost.

·
Registered
525 Posts

That’s true - not everyone is physically capable.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
There isn’t enough money for me to risk my life trying to do brakes. Just my opinion. I also don’t have the back for it anymore.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There isn’t enough money for me to risk my life trying to do brakes. Just my opinion. I also don’t have the back for it anymore.
True, true.....I sit on an old plastic milk crate when doing my brakes. Tire is only up 1"-2" off the ground so it is just a roll off. Putting it back on, I use my feet as levers on either side of the tire and lift with them in conjunction with my arms and it isn't too bad at all (my Lexus tires are much easier, I admit!).

I also to admit keeping the springs on the pads when trying to put the caliper back on can be a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone. Purchased my mdx 2016 with 26k on it like 6 months ago. Carfax indicates that all rotors and brake pads were replaced just before I got it. Currently it’s on 30k. Was at dealership today for transmission issues. They replaced fluids and did software update. Was also recommended with next oil change replace break pads. They must be kidding me. Paperwork they gave me states I have 4 mm left in front. What would u recommend?
Guessing selling dealer is not responsible for car fax data. Assuming that, you might get something warranty wise from dealer who serviced the car (brakes) per car fax info.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There isn't enough time for me to go to the dealer to argue about brake pad thickness or other piddly items I read about on here. I mean, I could make the time, but I place a great deal more value on my time than a set of pads cost.

It's a real shame how few people understand basic mechanics. If you're not a competent mechanic, you're in the unfortunate situation of having to spend both your time AND money for someone else to do basic maintenance on your rig. I get materials delivered to my house and in the time I would take me to drive one way to a dealer, I have the oil change done. Moreover, its not overfilled, I have control of the quality of materials, and I don't risk the unintended shenanigans that can happen at a dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is true Carli123, even an incompetent mechanic like myself should be able to do brakes (new pads, bleed, etc), oil changes, tire rotations, light bulb replace etc. I always say if a mechanic can do it I can do it, unless it requires special tools or knowledge. I had never rebuilt or built an engine till last winter with my 16 yr old son, he wanted to drive an old 65 F100 I had in a barn stored in TN. So I said what the heck I can watch YouTube and I have access to two mechanics; so we did it as a project. We swapped the engine from a straight 6 to a V8, added some go fast and loud parts. I'd never done it and had no clue but disassembled the V8 in our garage and put it all back together with new better parts, put in an auto transmission, which I had to get that done professionally bcs I lacked the tools. He is driving that old 65 F100 to school now he is so proud of it, bcs he helped...

I think with more time and less money (or a 16 yr old son or daughter asking) on our hands we'd all find out we could do a lot more than we thought we could.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts