Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I will be receiving my MDX around the 10th of July. I have a long road trip planned from Minneapolis to the Black Hills of South Dakotah on the 12th of July. It's about 645 miles one way. We'll be there about a week...with a little driving around during the week too. Then back home another 645 miles.

So...I would love to take the MDX, but was curious as to how that long of a road trip, probably 8+ hours straight through driving basically, would affect the MDX. I know I need to vary engine speed and such, but is this way too long a drive to start out with??

BTW...It'll just be myself and my girlfriend...so no kids to entertain other than ourselves.

Thanks for your help!

Gig'Em Aggies! :)

-Mark

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I think it should be fine. But can't say for sure.

But if you decide to take it with you, make sure you don't do fast acceleration and break sudden before you pass the break-in period.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Vary the speed...

...alot! As long as you use lots of differenet RPMs you should be fine. The good thing about a trip like you're planning is that you probably won't encounter heavy traffic, you can stop alot, and it is not the most rugged climbing.

I would make it point to stop for probably 30 minutes every 150-200 miles, just to be sure there were no leaks (the cooling/heating cycles really force leaks to show up). Very few owners have complained about leaks here, but the last thing you want is to lose fluid 500+ miles from home.

The main problem with driving a long distance with a new car is that IF you were to remian at a certain RPM too long AND the valve train was not properly operting (everything form scorec cams, sticky lifters, bind valve springs, non rotating followers...) you'd ruin some mighty expensive parts mighty quick.

Other things to do: on the 10th & 11th (while you're still home) don't brake like a mad man. You want to gradually scrub-up the rotors and pads very quickly, so that if anything is going go wrong it happens BEFORE you hit the trail...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It's not too long, I just drove 500 in my new X 4 weeks ago, to bring it home.
Vary your speeds, 55-70 mph..do not accelerate hard, no towing of course.
I would keep it 50-60 the first 200 miles to let the tires wear in a bit. Also, easy on the brakes the first 200 miles.
Stop every couple of hours, rest yourselves and the vehicle.
Enjoy it, give yourself time to get used to all the features, controls, if you are getting Navi, get familiar with it, OFF THE ROAD FIRST!
Then you can have your partner use it while you drive also.
In other words make it a leisurely trip, especially with the hot weather. Don't push yourselves, or the X.
Make sure your tires are set (32-34 lbs cold) before you start out, all fluid levels are topped off, etc. Most of all have a safe and fun trip! You will love the X I am sure!
The owner's manual says it's broken in at 600 miles, which basically means you can sustain higher speeds after that time. I only drove mine moderately hard after 600 miles, it wasn't until I topped 1000 I pushed it hard. (Pushing it hard does not have to equate with abuse)
Let a cold engine warm up while driving at moderate speeds, that's the part of breaking-in that should continue for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The manual:

Break-in Period
Help assure your vehicle's future
reliability and performance by paying
extra attention to how you drive
during the first 600 miles (1,000 km).
During this period:

Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid
accleration.

Do not change the oil until the
recommended time or mileage
interval shown in the maintenance
schedule.

Avoid hard braking. New brakes
need to be broken-in by moderate
use for the first 200 miles (300
km).

You should follow these same re-
commendations for an overhauled
or exchanged engine, or when the
brakes are replaced.

We also recommend that you do not
tow a trailer during the first 500
miles (800 km).

The rest of the stuff in my earlier post are my own recommendations based on
experience and common sense.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I tried to keep it under 65 for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
While varying vehicle speed isn't top priority during break-in, varying engine speed is. At normal cruising speeds, I'd shift every 10-15 minutes or so between D5 and D4, maybe even D3 for a while below, say, 45 or 50 mph. I'd probably try to keep the rpms below 3500 (or 4000 for quick spurts) for the first 600 miles.

You'll love that machine!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
As the Manual says ...

... the break-in requiremnts are fairly simple (thanks DaleB).

An initial long trip should not be a problem. Enjoy.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
frostyra said:
While varying vehicle speed isn't top priority during break-in, varying engine speed is. At normal cruising speeds, I'd shift every 10-15 minutes or so between D5 and D4, maybe even D3 for a while below, say, 45 or 50 mph. I'd probably try to keep the rpms below 3500 (or 4000 for quick spurts) for the first 600 miles.

You'll love that machine!
Excellent point I should have emphasized, engine speed! I moved mine between D4 and D5 on a regular basis, it's a sure way to get results without driving the vehicle too fast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

Thanks everbody for your input! Now I just have to wait and see if the MDX gets here in time for the trip or not. Maybe I should postpone the trip and wait for it. But wouldn't it be the perfect gift at the end of a trip to come home from vacation and get to pick up a brand new MDX!!

Patiently waiting....

Gig'Em Aggies! :)

-Mark

·
Registered
312 Posts
OK, but . . .

vary your RPMs, especially for the first 1000 miles. Also, avoid jackrabbit starts

With 300 miles on mine, I took it on a 1400 mile trip. Every 15-30 minutes or so, I'd shift into 4th. Also, I'd vary speeds between 55 and 80 mph in 5th, thereby changing the rpms. The rest of the trip had some periodic stop and go traffic, so I didn't worry.

As far as limiting speed, it's really not an issue. At 80 mph, it probably stays at a lower rpm than at lower gears with moderate acceloration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
not a problem

I FLEW TO TEXAS FROM MASS AND BOUGHT MY X IN TEXAS AND DROVE IT BACK ONLY STOPPING FOR GAS IT WAS 1800 MILES
AND 29 HOURS STRAIGHT IT HANDLED GREAT AND STILL NO PROBLEMS WITH THE ENGINE OR DRIVE TRAIN

1 - 13 of 13 Posts