Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always done oil changes for the new car after the break-in period , not sure after how many miles I should change the oil on MDX .

Has anyone done oil change on MDX is it few minutes job .

·
Registered
962 Posts
The "Maintenance Minder" tells you when it recommends an oil change. I do mine when it says 50% remaining, and it comes out good and dirty. IMO, going the whole period is false economy - especially with a direct injection motor that is stressed more than most.

Getting to the filter is a bit tricky, but no biggie with the right wrench.

Don't forget the other fluids. Differential and Transmission need regular fluid changes.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I put my faith, fwiw, in the actual engineers for the MDX and change the oil according to the recommendations in the manual, which means when the maintenance minder pops the 'A' or 'B' code, which is when the oil life left gets below 5% or so. This has turned out to be around 7500 miles or so on my 2014 MDX. Generally, changing at a much more frequent interval than recommended by the factory is simply a waste of oil, expense, and effort. Picking some arbitrary value, like 50% life left, the old school 3,000 miles, etc. is an uninformed stab at when to do it and inaccurate.

The manual doesn't state to do anything special regarding oil for break-in. Just follow the manual and do it when it says to change the oil - which will end up to be somewhere around 7500 miles depending on how the vehicle was driven.

Time will tell if there's an issue with my suggestions above but Acura, which has money on the line supporting their recommendations and professional engineers and accountants deciding the intervals, is aligned with what I recommended and are who should be followed rather than random people on the internet (which includes me).

Best suggestion - read the owner's manual yourself and see what it says to do in this area - something may have changed since my 2014 I suppose.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
There is always a 1-6 service associated with the A or B service. The only issue you might run into is resetting the 1-6 service at the same time when you reset the A/B oil service at 50%. The 1-6 service isn't displayed until the 15% M.I.D. oil service light pops up. You might have to keep track of all your M.I.D. maint to ensure you don't go over on any 1-6 services when reset you reset at 50%.

I stick to the M.I.D. schedule for oil changes, purchase my oil at Walmart to take to the dealership for $26 oil changes, do my tire rotations/balance at Discount Tires every oil change, lifetime alignment with Firestone, I do air/cabin filter myself, and do AT/transfer case changes at Acura every 30K. Since I do my oil changes at Acura, I tell them about the extra services I performed/want and they add it to the service records and reset the individual codes in the M.I.D. with their scan tool.

This has worked for me with +335,000 miles between all three vehicles in the last 10 yrs.

Reactions: LostCreekSooner

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Is there a difference in the transmission fluid labeled 08200 9016A and the 08200 9017A? The -9017A is recommended for the 2016 models.
2014-2015 and 2016+ use two different transmissions, so yes, the fluids are different (one is proprietary Honda ATF DW1 and the other is a relabeled ZF Lifeguard 9)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must be lucky to have oil changes for $26 dealer near me charges $100 for doing the oil change and users Acura oil ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts