Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New to the forum. Owned an MDX 2016 for 6 days total and was rear ended by a teenager who just got their permit. Damage to the bumper cover, tail light, and some non-painted plastic components. The body shop is suggesting that because the damage is all in the center of the bumper, it is better to repair the bumper and fan the paint out within the bumper itself. The alternative is to replace the bumper and paint, but would require color blending into the fender and tailgate panels, which would be a tremendous amount of work, and in my opinion invites a number of potential problems for a brand new car. They dont feel confident in providing an exact color match without doing blending into the adjacent panels.

Any thoughts? I guess we dont burn any bridges simply repairing and fanning out the original bumper, but just wanted to see if this was a sound strategy?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Replace the bumper. I'm pretty sure you can ordered one painted already form the dealer. Also, find a new body shop. That shop is not qualified to do a simple job as this. A 2016 car, the paint is not faded yet and will not require blending. If you repair the bumper, the entire bumper should be painted, don't let them paint the fender or blend into the fender. Highly recommend finding a new body shop.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Agree with SQL Novice Find a new shop!! Don't let the insurance company tell you that you can't. Unfortunately based on the parts list, it does not appear that Acura sells the bumper cover painted, I don't think they ever have actually, unlike all the other trim pieces, but one of the parts guys on here will know for sure.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Replacing the entire bumper with a new one means they'll just paint the whole bumper without blending (if you direct them as such), so inspect it carefully when you get the car back. Since bumpers are plastic, the shade of color won't match the fenders 100%. You'll need to decide if you want the color light or darker to get it closer to the fender color.

I just went through a similar situation, where my white diamond pearl got hit by flying road debris and needed the whole front bumper repainted. They tried to blend from the center of the original bumper to the edges to retain the original paint there for blending, but it didn't work too well for me, as I could see the transition. As a result, they repainted the entire bumper. By doing that, the color mismatch is more obvious now from certain angles, but it is still quite close and resembles the original factory paint mismatch of the rear bumper.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Wow I'm sorry to hear about what happened, but hopefully you did not suffer any injuries?

I would replace the bumper. Repairing something damaged does not sit well with me. Will it be as structurally sound as a new undamaged bumper? Is the damage that superficial?

Bumpers come unpainted from Acura. I agree with the advice of finding the best body shop possible to do the job, I would ask the Acura dealer if you haven't as to which ones they recommend.

You are the one inconvenienced here and need to make sure you make zero concessions or compromises in my opinion. You had a brand new vehicle and the other party needs to fix things to your liking.

With that said if your state allows for it, you need to get a stipend from their insurance company to cover depreciation of the vehicle as now it has been damaged and repainted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
<snip>

With that said if your state allows for it, you need to get a stipend from their insurance company to cover depreciation of the vehicle as now it has been damaged and repainted.

Hodog16, excellent advice/suggestion. Most people would not think of that. :29:

·
Registered
844 Posts
First question is the body shop "your" body shop or one recommended by the other driver's insurance company? I would also check with other shops.

Both comments are correct above, in that there should be no fading of your paint, but the paint on plastic bumper may not match metal exactly. So do close inspection. I personally would rather replace bumper with OEM bumper.

As for the stipend mentioned above, it is called "Diminution in value." In your case, with such limited damage don't expect much if any. But it will not hurt to strongly negotiate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brand New MDX 2016 Rear Ended

Ugh! My new MDX was also rear ended, in the car wash. Damage to middle rear bumper straight across the center and what I am calling the lower bumper. Should I have the dealership do repairs or find a body shop? Just starting the process. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ugh! My new MDX was also rear ended, in the car wash. Damage to middle rear bumper straight across the center and what I am calling the lower bumper. Should I have the dealership do repairs or find a body shop? Just starting the process. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think dealerships have in-house body repair shops. They usually use 3rd party body shops for paint and body repair. I was rear ended too 2 years ago and i just chose a reputable body shop to do repairs. The main bumper was just repainted (just scratches) and the lower trim and alloy bumper were replaced. So far so good. They blended the paint well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Was this at one of those automatic car washes where you put the car in neutral and there's a belt that moves the vehicle?

If so is the car wash company liable or the driver of the vehicle behind you?

I would call the local Acura dealer and ask what body shop they use for repairs. Dealers have their favorites where they send vehicles to. It is rare for dealers to have in-house body shops unless they are large.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts