Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I purchased the brand new MDX 2022 Base Model - Carbon Metallic on Thursday 27th May. Took for the vacation on the long weekend - highway miles only. While returning home, on the interstate highway, the car started de-accelerating. Won't respond to the push on the gas pedal. The engine only revved up just like on the parking gear. I pulled the car on the shoulder with the terrified family inside. Restarted the car but the problem persisted - Has anyone experienced this? I towed the car to the dealer and now waiting for the resolution. I called Acura but they asked me to talk to dealer.

p.s this is a duplicate post. I have posted one under the transmission problem too.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Sounds like the MDX detected an fault and went into "Limp Mode". The vehicle will cut the power, limit sh-awd, and light a X-mas tree worth of multiple warnings. You can still drive the vehicle at low city speeds; but, maintaining +60 mph hwy speeds would be difficult.

Not sure why the 10AT is giving folks so many issues? It has been used in since 2018 in the RLX and Honda is starting to make it optional/standard for Accord and Odyssey (very soon for Pilot, Passport, and Ridgeline).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the MDX detected an fault and went into "Limp Mode". The vehicle will cut the power, limit sh-awd, and light a X-mas tree worth of multiple warnings. You can still drive the vehicle at low city speeds; but, maintaining +60 mph hwy speeds would be difficult.

Not sure why the 10AT is giving folks so many issues? It has been used in since 2018 in the RLX and Honda is starting to make it optional/standard for Accord and Odyssey (very soon for Pilot, Passport, and Ridgeline).

I think what you described is correct but this is a major safety issue. The car won't accelerate on the middle of the road, going at 60-70 miles an hour. Imagine if you are ahead of a 18-wheeler and the car stop accelerating. In my case, I was scrambling to accelerate the car by changing drive/sports mode and pushing the pedal, instead of braking. If I was in the left lane on busy day, it could have been a completely different story. I did not expect this from Honda. It's been a week, I haven't heard back from the dealer yet.

I have registered the case with National Highway Transportation Safety Board and also with Acura. Waiting to hear from them. I hope they inform all the current owners about this problem and find the root cause.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update - the dealer has offered me a new car (same model). I am not sure If i would go for it or not.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Just an update - the dealer has offered me a new car (same model). I am not sure If i would go for it or not.
There is a good chance the issue won't happen again with a different model. Doesn't sound like they were able to narrow down the problem being mechanical and/or software issue. Any chance you would upgrade to a tech or Aspec model?

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,175 Posts
I would take that opportunity of getting a newer MDX and give the problematic one back to the dealer. This one should be trouble free for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer replaced it with the same model or money back. I took the replacement. Because it was a transmission issue, even the upgrade model may have the same fault. Asking Acura to extend the warranty.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Asking Acura to extend the warranty.
I hope you're successful but even if not the trans has 6 yr, 70K mile warranty so you'll be way down the road on it while covered and at the end of that time likely know whether you have confidence in it or not - i.e. you'll have experience yourself with yours but there'll also be many thousands of other MDXs with the same trans by then - and maybe some fixes along the way.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,175 Posts
Dealer replaced it with the same model or money back. I took the replacement. Because it was a transmission issue, even the upgrade model may have the same fault. Asking Acura to extend the warranty.
Gotta ask, was there any similar issues with the Odysseys, Ridgelines, Pilots with the 10spd A/T? If anything Honda may also increase the powertrain warranty on those with the same engine & trans configuration.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Aspec / 2019 Ridgeline Sport / 2007 335i Coupe
31 Posts
Hi,

I purchased the brand new MDX 2022 Base Model - Carbon Metallic on Thursday 27th May. Took for the vacation on the long weekend - highway miles only. While returning home, on the interstate highway, the car started de-accelerating. Won't respond to the push on the gas pedal. The engine only revved up just like on the parking gear. I pulled the car on the shoulder with the terrified family inside. Restarted the car but the problem persisted - Has anyone experienced this? I towed the car to the dealer and now waiting for the resolution. I called Acura but they asked me to talk to dealer.

p.s this is a duplicate post. I have posted one under the transmission problem too. View attachment 117403

Did you have any noises or warnings before it decided to stop working?

Knocking noises or bucking days before, or fluid leaking, or smoke?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts