Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2016 MDX (brand new-14 miles on the odometer) and 4 days after my purchase the check engine light with the following errors (transmission failure & emissions systems problem). I took the car back to the service department at the dealership-I was upset that I had to bring it back to the shop already as I just bought it. The car drove fine, so I assumed it was something minor like a computer/system reset.

It took them a week to get the car back to me :crying2:, because their diagnostic system didn't show them exactly what was wrong. I picked up the car today and the lights are gone. They said it was because of a loose connection (two wires that weren't clipped in together) which caused all the error lights to come on. Does that sound right? Even then a brand new car with less than 300 miles on it and already a loose connection? They think it came in from the factory with the wires not fully connected.

Have y'all ever encountered or have heard something like this? This is my first Acura and I know Acura is a very reliable brand and I can understand that very rarely something like this will happen, but it's still unacceptable. I feel like the dealership as well as AcuraUSA is downplaying this. Or maybe I'm expecting too much? I contacted AcuraUSA's office and the dealership to see if they would exchange my car out for another one or at least give me some sort of extended warranty. They said they sympathized, but they have fixed the issue now and did put me in a rental for the time being. I still feel like this doesn't do justice for a new owner and someone new to the brand.

Even if the lights don't come back on I have lost trust in the car. What else could be defective in the car? What about safety and security components of the computer/car?

What do you guys advice me to do? A service manager from AcuraUSA did say they'll contact me on Friday to check up on the car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I feel for you, but I think all is well. If it happens again, then trust is out the door. Not everything is perfect coming out of a factory. This might be the only issue you may experience. Just keep all documents in the event it turns out to be a lemon. But you are way far from that. So just enjoy for now.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This kind of thing can happen to any vehicle - at the end of the day it's just a vehicle built on an assembly line by people (with some robots thrown in here and there) with components built on other assembly lines by other people. Many of those same components get installed in other brand vehicles.

'If' they truly found the problem and that problem was these loose wires then it s/b positively fixed now and you shouldn't worry about it anymore and you'll hopefully have many reliable years to look forward to. My only concern is whether they're really certain the problem was these two 'loose' wires that perhaps really weren't so loose and it may have been something else - it;s easy to blame things and conclude - 'maybe the wires were sorta loose'. Time will tell on this fairly soon.

The other point - many of these check engine light issues are, in fact, due to loose sensor wires, a malfunctioning sensor, etc. that have little effect on the vehicle running - i.e. many of them won't actually get you stuck in the middle of nowhere and you simply have the dealer check it out when convenient. Regardless, the anxiety is normal.

fwiw -I have a 2014 MDX Tech shawd and have never had a check engine light pop on it. Out of the last several new vehicles I've owned it's the only one that hasn't had a check engine light pop fairly early - some others had them within the first 500 miles - that's when things like loose wires and faulty sensors often show up - early life failures.

At least with Acura they (usually) give you a decent loaner vehicle at no charge so it's less inconvenient than some other brands. The down side is it seems that they feel it gives them the freedom to take longer to get around to working on your vehicle. There's no way they worked on your vehicle for a week - it likely sat there for 5 days or thereabouts and then they started working on it which probably took them maybe an hour, if that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something similar happened to my 2016, they forgot to connect washing fluid tube to the headlamp washer so after first try of washing my headlamp all the fluid gone. So they connected those tubed and since no issues

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah I agree with the other guys...
**** happens and if the problem is truly gone there is nothing more to do. They already diagnosed and fixed the problem.. Getting a new car? yeah that ain´t gonna happen.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I purchased a 2016 MDX (brand new-14 miles on the odometer) and 4 days after my purchase the check engine light with the following errors (transmission failure & emissions systems problem). I took the car back to the service department at the dealership-I was upset that I had to bring it back to the shop already as I just bought it. The car drove fine, so I assumed it was something minor like a computer/system reset.

It took them a week to get the car back to me :crying2:, because their diagnostic system didn't show them exactly what was wrong. I picked up the car today and the lights are gone. They said it was because of a loose connection (two wires that weren't clipped in together) which caused all the error lights to come on. Does that sound right? Even then a brand new car with less than 300 miles on it and already a loose connection? They think it came in from the factory with the wires not fully connected.

Have y'all ever encountered or have heard something like this? This is my first Acura and I know Acura is a very reliable brand and I can understand that very rarely something like this will happen, but it's still unacceptable. I feel like the dealership as well as AcuraUSA is downplaying this. Or maybe I'm expecting too much? I contacted AcuraUSA's office and the dealership to see if they would exchange my car out for another one or at least give me some sort of extended warranty. They said they sympathized, but they have fixed the issue now and did put me in a rental for the time being. I still feel like this doesn't do justice for a new owner and someone new to the brand.

Even if the lights don't come back on I have lost trust in the car. What else could be defective in the car? What about safety and security components of the computer/car?

What do you guys advice me to do? A service manager from AcuraUSA did say they'll contact me on Friday to check up on the car.
Below is what happened to me. Sound familiar?

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/100537-transmission-fault-code-p0657.html#post965281

·
Registered
357 Posts
Lol to a new car request. If car manufacturers would give a new car every time something goes wrong they would go bankrupt in less than a month. Their warranty obligates them to fix it, if they can't fix the same issue in 3 tries only then you can invoke Lemon law and either get a new car or your money back. They fixed it, that's all there is to it. Mine's been in the shop three times already for tranny, active cruise, idle stop and some other minor electrical problems. I wish I had your problem.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Had same issue on 2014 Mdx after only 2000 miles and was bad fuel injector

Then got a series of lights and error reports and dealer couldn't find any issues and the lights cleared themselves

This is what happens as these organisms become more complex

The op --- it's all good it'll get fixed and nothing to push further with Acura

1 - 8 of 8 Posts