Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Had the clicking with the original brake pads when I bought the SUV new in 2014, went away after a while, dealer never adjusted anything.

Then, had Acura comp me for brand new brakes/rotors due to warped rotors, and brakes were fine, no clicking until this month (5,000 miles later)

Is there any fix for this yet? Do I just live with it? I know it's been discussed to death for years on these cars, some have it, some don't. Yet another annoying thing about this SUV. Braking is otherwise normal and strong.

The pads shift/click in reverse, then they all click shift back (sometimes not at the same time -- so I wait and listen for 4 clicks, it's really annoying) when I'm in drive and moving forward.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep. Its normal, replacing the pads gets rid of the clunk for a short period of time because the new pads are thicker, once they wear down a bit the clunk comes back due the gap of the pad and rotor.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just one of those things you have to live with. I prefer that they are free to shift, rather than being too tight and binding. "Glass half full" mentality. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2015 MDX advanced with Ent package. Annoyed the crap out of me. Anyways, when Honda shaved the weight of this new design by approx 300lbs, they switched to a lighter 2 piston caliper break pad vs historically using a heavier 4 pad caliper that contributes to the movement/clanging noise. Makes me wonder about Honda in that they obviously knew of this issue but some how justified it for whatever reason that its normal.

This is the only car I have ever owned that does this. Poor design. I've had other issues with my car and I will never go back to Honda again. For what its worth, my car has had so many issues to list I talked to a reputable Lemon law lawyer who indicated over the past 10 years he has seen more honda lemon cases versus any other asian import brand. He believes their quality has gone downhill over the past decade.

Good luck and sorry about your clanging noise! I feel your pain!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2015 MDX advanced with Ent package. Annoyed the crap out of me. Anyways, when Honda shaved the weight of this new design by approx 300lbs, they switched to a lighter 2 piston caliper break pad vs historically using a heavier 4 pad caliper that contributes to the movement/clanging noise. Makes me wonder about Honda in that they obviously knew of this issue but some how justified it for whatever reason that its normal.

This is the only car I have ever owned that does this. Poor design. I've had other issues with my car and I will never go back to Honda again. For what its worth, my car has had so many issues to list I talked to a reputable Lemon law lawyer who indicated over the past 10 years he has seen more honda lemon cases versus any other asian import brand. He believes their quality has gone downhill over the past decade.

Good luck and sorry about your clanging noise! I feel your pain!

interesting conversation.

so there's some play where once the brake pads come free from the rotors. upon applying the brakes. the little play on the pad or pads slap against the rotors. is that right?

what if you add a shim or buy a thicker brake pad retainer to limit lateral play? you know, it would keep the pad from moving freely when the caliper piston has receded? just guessing here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts