Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 MDX Elite is currently at 16500 KM. Started to feel brake vibration, although not at all times, at around 14000. Brought to the dealership here in Toronto today, and was "advised" to service the brakes by doing B1. I was told that the caliber needs to be calibrated and clean the brake dust, isn't it too early ? anyone has similar experience?

I also feel subtle judder while driving at high speed. :(

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Eh... you don't need the WHOLE B1 for brakes... just diagnose the brakes but at that mileage, very odd to already get uneven deposits (take it from a guy that drives spirited and is at 13k miles and still have smooth brake action) that would cause the vibrations. You may need to check the balance on your wheels though if you are getting these are higher speeds. It is possible weights have fallen off or your tires have gotten out of round if you have left the car for extended periods of time.

B1 service:

Replace engine oil and filter
Service front and rear brakes
Inspect parking brake adjustments
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots
Inspect suspension components
Inspect driveshaft boots
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
Rotate tires , inspect for wear and adjust pressure
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect fuel lines and connections

As you can see, a lot of junk work. Rotating tires can be done yourself (some shops here in the US even do it for free, dunno about CAN). And you definitely don't need a motor oil change for a brake issue...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
What they're saying doesn't make sense. My guess is that you received this input from a 'service advisor' who likely knows little to nothing about the mechanics of a vehicle. The bottom line is that there's apparently something wrong with the brakes and a mechanic will need to inspect them to see what the issue is but that has nothing to do with a service schedule - it's a specific item for them to check. Like 'neoshi' said - you don't need to change the oil to fix a brake problem although if the intervals all align then you could do multiple items at once.

Brake dust is normal and nothing needs to be done about it - it'll fall off or wash off eventually.

A brake caliper doesn't need 'calibrating'. The caliper self-adjusts as the pad wears.

The brakes should be fine for much longer than the mileage you're at but it's always possible a rotor has gotten out of true, which would cause pulsing when braking (only when braking), and would require the rotor be resurfaced or the rotor replaced - and typically both sides s/b replaced rather than just having one side replaced.

If you're getting some wobbleness outside of braking then it's something else - imbalanced wheels being the most likely cause.

If your oil life still indicates plenty of life left and assuming you rotate the tires about the time you change the oil, just go back and tell them to inspect the brakes due to pulsing when braking. Assuming they find the problem try to get them to fix it under warranty because it should hold up longer than this. There have been a few other posts here from people who had rotors replaced early due to pulsing - covered under warranty because it's abnormal (not normal wear of brake components).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same thing happened to me about the same at mileage (km). I took it in for service and they said the rotor was warped for some reason so they shaved it and it was fine afterwards. At the time, I told Acura that the by shaving the rotors, the cause had not been identified and told them it better not happen again in the near future. Now, I am about the double the mileage and the same thing is happening. I am taking the car in next Monday. They better not tell me I need to replace my rotors and pads and pay for it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the replies

i personally agree that the B1 service has nothing to do with it. the main reason is warped rotor. I was told that they machined the rotors for free. my gut feeling (after i went for it) is that they know it's the warped rotor. however they try to blame it on the brake dust. as well they told me i am close to the B1 service so why not do it now. I still had about 40% oil life left at that time. my guess is that they tried to get me to pay for the labor cost while claiming warranty from Acura.

and from what zero4 has said, i am worried about the same thing that it is going to come back early. with my past Acura/Honda experience, the real cure seems to go with a better rotor than the OEM, but I don't expect to replace the rotor until around 50000 KM

regarding the other issue, i felt that the judder is coming from the transmission. it is not strong but i can definitely feel it. i once thought it's the VCM vibration or fuel injector issue. i got it at highway ramp acceleration and also when i left go of the gas pedal, so i am not sure. the advisor said the tech could not reproduce it and found nothing wrong out of the computer codes..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same thing happened to me about the same at mileage (km). I took it in for service and they said the rotor was warped for some reason so they shaved it and it was fine afterwards. At the time, I told Acura that the by shaving the rotors, the cause had not been identified and told them it better not happen again in the near future. Now, I am about the double the mileage and the same thing is happening. I am taking the car in next Monday. They better not tell me I need to replace my rotors and pads and pay for it.
So I took the MDX to the dealer and told them my issue. The service person tell me the same thing. B service should have been done. I laughed and told him to not pull that crap on me. He didn't say much other than to inspect and go from there so I left. At the end, Acura changed the both front rotors. They said it may have been a bad batch of rotors. I hope that is the case. BTW, I am in GTA as well.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
The feeling of "warped rotors" has been a long standing issue for over 11 years since having my 3 Acura vehicles. The OEM rotors and pads in combo with driving style and conditions seem to effect folks differently anywhere from never having "warped rotors" to every 20,000-30,000 miles. I'm usually around 70,000 miles when it hits me with the way I drive when I feel the warped brakes come back.

From what I gathered from +11 years on 3 different Acura forums (Acurazine, TSXClub, MDXers) is the OEM pads leave an uneven distribution of pad material on the OEM rotors over time. The high/low spots feel like warped rotors when you stop from higher speeds. Acura techs got into the habit of just turning the rotors to even out the high/low spots of the brake pad materials. The problems seems to be corrected by using different pads and/or just using different rotors. That is usually not cost effective because some dealerships will turn the rotors under the 4/50,000 basic warranty for free and most folks will probably be on to the next vehicle before it happens again after the 4/50,000 expires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happened to our 2017 mdx. They shaved the rotors as they said they were warped. But did not say the cause. I’m just waiting for it to occur all over again. My luck it will be past warranty and they’ll say it’s natural wear and tear and foot me with big bill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts